Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Ludum Dare 31

Started by Scipi, December 05, 2014, 11:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipi

Hey everyone. Ludum Dare 31 is about to kick off and I'm streaming development of my entry.

If you don't know what Ludum dare is, it's a competition held every four months with the objective to make a game from scratch within 48 hours based on a given theme voted on by the community.

This time I'm hoping to make a fighting game of some sort, since I'm really bad at playing fighters and don't like the genre. :P

If you want to drop on by my stream and see how development is going, I'll be streaming here for the full 48 hours: http://www.twitch.tv/skipi_
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

Dream of Omnimaga

I thought that Ludum Dare was a Planète-Casio calculator thing? O.O I guess I now know from where they took the name for some of their contests. :P

I'll check there, but keep us updated with progress if you can :D (maybe make a topic if the rules allow it?)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Good luck and have fun ! I'm looking forward to what comes out of it. :)

Scipi

I'll probably make a topic here and post updates every so often. I will be recording my stream, so I might keep it at a minimum since CW hasn't officially been announced yet.

Dream of Omnimaga

I think it's fine if you post updates even before opening, though, because after all the site needs some content before launch, lol :P (which is why we didn't want to open to public right as soon as the forum got installed), plus we already have some members including one not from Omnimaga. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

unknownloner

Might as well hop on the ludum dare thread here rather than make another. Theme is "Everything on one screen" and right now I'm thinking of making one of those games where enemies swarm in from everywhere and you can shoot them with different kinds of cool guns.
Currently got some dirt rendering in webgl

/)

novenary

That's a nice screenshot right here Loner. :P

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 06, 2014, 12:20:05 AM
I thought that Ludum Dare was a Planète-Casio calculator thing? O.O I guess I now know from where they took the name for some of their contests. :P

I'll check there, but keep us updated with progress if you can :D (maybe make a topic if the rules allow it?)

The official name of O-C 48h conrltest is "Casio Programming Contest" and yes they can show update during the weekend. Good Luck Have Fun guys!
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Scipi

I've made a bit of progress on my entry so far. I'm making a Fire Emblem/Advanced Wars clone themed on chess.

novenary

Cool idea, I love Advance Wars. :)

Vijfhoek

Why is the Ludum Dare always in weekends when I have no time for it :(

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: unknownloner on December 06, 2014, 04:24:30 AM
Might as well hop on the ludum dare thread here rather than make another. Theme is "Everything on one screen" and right now I'm thinking of making one of those games where enemies swarm in from everywhere and you can shoot them with different kinds of cool guns.
Currently got some dirt rendering in webgl

Do you mean like Zombie Defense or Survival where zombies swarms towards you from all sides of the screen?

Quote from: Scipi on December 06, 2014, 09:01:17 AM
I've made a bit of progress on my entry so far. I'm making a Fire Emblem/Advanced Wars clone themed on chess.

Interesting, I am curious how this could turn out. Will it be like a Chess game where it uses the abilities of each pieces but ignoring the game rules such as the map size and starting locations?

unknownloner

Yeah the idea right now is enemies swarming in from the sides of the screen and you have to kill em
Here's a video of the graphics I've got going, music isn't from my game it's just something I had on in the background.
I completely switched art styles because I realized I can't draw something that would match a 'realistic' ish graphics like the dirt was, so I'm going with geometric shapes and fancy glow.

/)

Yuki

Quote from: Vijfhoek on December 06, 2014, 10:43:16 AM
Why is the Ludum Dare always in weekends when I have no time for it :(
End of semester studying it's pretty crazy and I have no time for anything else :/
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Scipi

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 06, 2014, 03:02:07 PMInteresting, I am curious how this could turn out. Will it be like a Chess game where it uses the abilities of each pieces but ignoring the game rules such as the map size and starting locations?

That's the basic idea. I want it to play kind of like Fire Emblem or Advanced Wars, but have chess themes with the units. So certain units try to act like their chess counterparts.

I got some more work done on my entry and I have pathing! :F Soon I'll have units moving and initiating combat, and the AI for this kind of game is pretty simple. Looks like I should be able to get it done by the deadline. If not, it'll be ready for the jam deadline (which is the 72 hour version of the compo).

Edit:
Yay for perlin noise :D