September 19, 2019, 03:28:36 pm

News:

what is this news thing for anyway

Alternatively, join us on Discord.

3D Printing

Started by alexgt, December 17, 2015, 09:47:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

alexgt

December 17, 2015, 09:47:32 pm Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 08:18:58 pm by alexgt
Recently, I made a holster for my airsoft pistol, I have pictures but haven't had time to upload them to youtube.
Printer Specs: ShowHide

- SDramps module
- 8x8x9.5 inch print bed
- Heated print bed
- 0.4 mm extruder tip
- I use PLA mostly

Cons:
- Does not do bridges well but I am quite sure it is the way I have it set up <_<

Airsoft pistol holster: ShowHide

Airsoft Pistol Holster Finished: ShowHide

Chain Mail: ShowHide

princetonlion.tibd

The only 3D printing I've done was for school. A few name tags and a phone holder.

Could you upload the pictures? :)
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)

Juju

Some teachers at my former school built a 3D printer, last time I heard of them one of them printed a bust of himself.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

ordelore

Our school's is supposed to be making a 3D printer for the makerspace, but the directions usually 404
Calc Wars is still alive (I hope)

alexgt

Quote from: princetonlion.tibd on December 17, 2015, 11:16:22 pm
The only 3D printing I've done was for school. A few name tags and a phone holder.

Could you upload the pictures? :)

Yep, just doing that now ;)

Quote from: Juju on December 17, 2015, 11:22:20 pm
Some teachers at my former school built a 3D printer, last time I heard of them one of them printed a bust of himself.

That is pretty cool, do you know how he scanned his head?

Quote from: ordelore on December 17, 2015, 11:41:19 pm
Our school's is supposed to be making a 3D printer for the makerspace, but the directions usually 404

Nowadays teachers and incorrect use of modernism :P

ben_g

Is it hard to use a 3D printer? I'll need to be able to use one when I start with my internship in March, but I have never used one yet. I do have experience with AutoCAD though.

alexgt

You just plug the .stl file into a g-code slicer and plug the g-code into the printer and hit print, after a while and using different setups you will find a way that works the best ;)

The hardest part is calibrating it (I use PLA because it seems to work better with my printer)

DJ Omnimaga

Is it me or the airsoft pistol holster look thin? It seems pretty cool, though. I wish I had access to a 3D printer for cheap to do some stuff.

alexgt

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 19, 2015, 09:41:02 am
Is it me or the airsoft pistol holster look thin? It seems pretty cool, though. I wish I had access to a 3D printer for cheap to do some stuff.

Those pics were taken at the early stages of printing and allot of pics corrupted and didn't get taken because chromebooks suck and I use a new time lapse program :P

I have time now so I will take a few on the finished thing ;)

ben_g

December 20, 2015, 12:52:13 am #9 Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 12:57:34 am by ben_g
I came across this video earlier today, and it seemed relevant enough to post it here:

I have no idea how accurate and usable it is, but it does seem like a cool project, especially since most of it's part is basically junk that you can get very easily.
I'm tempted to try it out, but I don't know if I'd use it enough for it to be actually useful to me...

EDIT: changed incorrect video link

alexgt

That actually looks really cool, I noticed that it was extruding layers like 1.5mm thick and a good printer is usually at like 0.1 but for a makeshift $65 printer that is really cool, I even have an arduino :P

If you try it out definitely post it I would like to see how it looks ;)

alexgt

Ofinished a chain mail print and an going to make a larger one today but I am editing the first post to show the holster and chain mail

DJ Omnimaga

I didn't see the first post edits yet, but that chain mail looks cool :D

Dudeman313

I wish I had a 3D printer! I would try that, but I'm not allowed to spend my own money.
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

alexgt

I kinda have the same problem Dudeman but it isn't so restrictive that I can't buy something I just have to convince my parents over time :P