January 18, 2020, 01:58:02 am

News:

Juju thinks he's so clever by putting funny stuff here

The shoutbox is currently out of service. Join us on Discord instead.
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Fallout 84+

Started by kegwaan, December 14, 2015, 10:26:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you rather play Fallout on the TI-84+, or the TI-84+ CSE/CE?

TI-84+
11 (78.6%)
TI-84+ CSE/CE
3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

kegwaan

December 17, 2015, 01:21:01 am #15 Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 02:14:52 pm by kegwaan
So I took some advice and I am starting to learn Axe. I've gotten simple grayscale sprites and the ability to move them around the screen:

(It looks better on calc, jsTIfied behaves a little weird. I also didn't know how fast I was moving the sprite because recording a GIF slows the emulator down)
I might stick with that sprite, based on this image:

however I might change my mind.

I also discovered that Fallout 1 had a demo (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Demo), that took place in only one town and had a shorter story line. I'm going to first recreate the demo, and maybe after that I will add to it. I've also seen that making a checklist helps a lot of people, so here we go:

• Add map and tiles

•    
  • Collision detection

•    
  • Add other characters (with movement)

•    
  • Dialogue

•    
  • Combat system

•    
  • S.P.E.C.I.A.L., traits, and skills

•    
  • Title screen

That's kind of a long list, but I tried to organize it by importance.
If you see anything missing from that list, let me know. See you soon, hopefully with number 1 on the list close to finished. ;)
"If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid."

alexgt

That seems like a great idea, glad you are learning Axe. Asm programs are much more enjoyable than BASIC since they are almost always faster ;).
And good luck as always.

DJ Omnimaga

Recreating the demo within the calculator limits would probably be a good idea. Also glad to see you are learning more :)

alexgt

And once you have the engine down you can just add more to the game ;)

kegwaan

Quote from: alexgt on December 17, 2015, 02:05:12 pm
And once you have the engine down you can just add more to the game ;)

Maybe I could include a program to make your own maps for the game  ;)
But before I get into the complicated stuff, I need to get the basics down first. So does anyone have some good tips and resources on how to tilemap in Axe? I haven't found any good resources on the tilemapping techniques.
"If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid."

alexgt

DarkestEx

First, making your game for the 84+ in Axe using grayscale deserves a big thumbs up  :thumbsup:

Second, I used time maps in two step. It supports compression to save RAM, allows changing the current level in RAM and has some other important features such as portals. I am more than willing to give you my code.
Note that you can only use 16 different tiles when using compression. I also made a scriptable level editor for it (in axe too and right on calc). It uses a very fast way to translate tiles into sprites by using a lookup table to work with the tiles. Gray scale support can be added relatively easy.