+-Discord Shoutbox


Alternatively, join us on Discord directly.
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

New subforum theme

Started by DarkestEx, October 31, 2015, 12:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DJ Omnimaga

November 01, 2015, 02:13:45 AM #15 Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 02:20:08 AM by DJ Omnimaga
Oh nice the theme works now. Also I like the new buttons :)

Would it be possible however to not make signatures show a border by default when using the table tag? Because now my sig looks a bit strange >.<

Also maybe it would be nice if selected text still used default browser colors.


Another suggestion would be to make the text inside light green bars easier to read, such as make it bold. And make calculators owned easier to read


EDIT: There is a MAJOR issue with the theme: It uses its own template files instead of CodeWalrus theme's. As a result, most features we implemented in our theme won't show up in this theme. So if you don't mind @DarkestEx and @adekto , the final version of this theme should only involve CSS changes and we will replace the template files in the folder with copies of the CW theme ones.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, Casio fx-CG10, HP Prime, fx 1.0 Plus, fx-7400G Plus, fx-9750G Plus, fx-9860G, HP 39gII
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite

Streetwalrus

Make all the text on dark backgrounds a shade of light gray, that should help readability.

DarkestEx

Quote from: Ivoah on November 01, 2015, 01:40:31 AM
I don't know if it's because I'm a mod, but I get a PHP error at the top of the page:
QuoteParse error: syntax error, unexpected '$data' (T_VARIABLE) in /var/www/codewalr.us/Sources/Subs.php(1702) : runtime-created function on line 2
I haven't seen that one even though I am moderator in this forum.

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 01, 2015, 02:27:04 AM
Make all the text on dark backgrounds a shade of light gray, that should help readability.
I will maybe do that, though IMO its fine as it is.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 01, 2015, 02:13:45 AM
Oh nice the theme works now. Also I like the new buttons :)

Would it be possible however to not make signatures show a border by default when using the table tag? Because now my sig looks a bit strange >.<

Also maybe it would be nice if selected text still used default browser colors.


Another suggestion would be to make the text inside light green bars easier to read, such as make it bold. And make calculators owned easier to read


EDIT: There is a MAJOR issue with the theme: It uses its own template files instead of CodeWalrus theme's. As a result, most features we implemented in our theme won't show up in this theme. So if you don't mind @DarkestEx and @adekto , the final version of this theme should only involve CSS changes and we will replace the template files in the folder with copies of the CW theme ones.

Well as long as all dialogs (post, edit, moderate, etc.) stay themed within this subforum and the custom logo is kept, I don't see any reason that this won't be portable. Even the logo can be changed using a very dirty hack without changing the HTML.

Yea I could make it bold. And about the table tag, sure I can disable borders within signatures.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

DJ Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 01, 2015, 02:27:04 AM
Make all the text on dark backgrounds a shade of light gray, that should help readability.
Links as well :P
Quote from: DarkestEx on November 01, 2015, 03:02:59 AM
Quote from: Ivoah on November 01, 2015, 01:40:31 AM
I don't know if it's because I'm a mod, but I get a PHP error at the top of the page:
QuoteParse error: syntax error, unexpected '$data' (T_VARIABLE) in /var/www/codewalr.us/Sources/Subs.php(1702) : runtime-created function on line 2
I haven't seen that one even though I am moderator in this forum.

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 01, 2015, 02:27:04 AM
Make all the text on dark backgrounds a shade of light gray, that should help readability.
I will maybe do that, though IMO its fine as it is.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 01, 2015, 02:13:45 AM
Oh nice the theme works now. Also I like the new buttons :)

Would it be possible however to not make signatures show a border by default when using the table tag? Because now my sig looks a bit strange >.<

Also maybe it would be nice if selected text still used default browser colors.


Another suggestion would be to make the text inside light green bars easier to read, such as make it bold. And make calculators owned easier to read


EDIT: There is a MAJOR issue with the theme: It uses its own template files instead of CodeWalrus theme's. As a result, most features we implemented in our theme won't show up in this theme. So if you don't mind @DarkestEx and @adekto , the final version of this theme should only involve CSS changes and we will replace the template files in the folder with copies of the CW theme ones.

Well as long as all dialogs (post, edit, moderate, etc.) stay themed within this subforum and the custom logo is kept, I don't see any reason that this won't be portable. Even the logo can be changed using a very dirty hack without changing the HTML.

Yea I could make it bold. And about the table tag, sure I can disable borders within signatures.
The error might have to do with the error I got earlier while Juju was modifying stuff on the site.

Also I'm glad that the template issues got fixed (we had to copy the display.template.php from CW folder into Microcat's). What remains to be fixed is the "Calculators owned" text just above signatures, which is next to impossible to read.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, Casio fx-CG10, HP Prime, fx 1.0 Plus, fx-7400G Plus, fx-9750G Plus, fx-9860G, HP 39gII
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite

Travis

I like the font. I had forgotten that downloadable web fonts were a thing.
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-82, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, TI-89 Titanium, 2 × HP 50g

DJ Omnimaga

Yeah I like how we can do that now. People just have to make sure to use public domain or their own fonts and it can allow some interesting website designs.

By the way, what color should links inside green bars be? Should they be black or gray?

Also I am fine with the CW navigation being teal. It makes it more like the sub-forum is part of CW, but again perhaps since the logo color was changed as well then the navigation could be changed too? Or the site logo in the Microcat sub-forum could be changed back to teal.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, Casio fx-CG10, HP Prime, fx 1.0 Plus, fx-7400G Plus, fx-9750G Plus, fx-9860G, HP 39gII
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite

Yuki

November 01, 2015, 06:28:32 AM #21 Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 06:30:30 AM by Juju
Quote from: DarkestEx on November 01, 2015, 03:02:59 AM
Quote from: Ivoah on November 01, 2015, 01:40:31 AM
I don't know if it's because I'm a mod, but I get a PHP error at the top of the page:
QuoteParse error: syntax error, unexpected '$data' (T_VARIABLE) in /var/www/codewalr.us/Sources/Subs.php(1702) : runtime-created function on line 2
I haven't seen that one even though I am moderator in this forum.
That was me messing up with the bbcode earlier.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 01, 2015, 03:42:38 AM
Also I'm glad that the template issues got fixed (we had to copy the display.template.php from CW folder into Microcat's). What remains to be fixed is the "Calculators owned" text just above signatures, which is next to impossible to read.
I thought that if it doesn't exist it goes in the based-of theme's folder? At least for php files.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron



if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

DJ Omnimaga

Oh I see. I assume you mean the video tag? Also you should bump the staff topic about code changes with that change in case it causes issues during upgrades.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, Casio fx-CG10, HP Prime, fx 1.0 Plus, fx-7400G Plus, fx-9750G Plus, fx-9860G, HP 39gII
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite

DarkestEx

November 01, 2015, 10:51:58 AM #23 Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 10:53:48 AM by DarkestEx
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 01, 2015, 06:23:54 AM
Yeah I like how we can do that now. People just have to make sure to use public domain or their own fonts and it can allow some interesting website designs.

By the way, what color should links inside green bars be? Should they be black or gray?

Also I am fine with the CW navigation being teal. It makes it more like the sub-forum is part of CW, but again perhaps since the logo color was changed as well then the navigation could be changed too? Or the site logo in the Microcat sub-forum could be changed back to teal.

The links should be white but I might change them to gray later.
About the navigation bar, I think I leave it as it is for multiple reasons. First clicking anything up there will bring you back to the main site. Second the bar is hard to theme. Third I want the bar to stay consistent.
Quote from: Travis on November 01, 2015, 05:26:55 AM
I like the font. I had forgotten that downloadable web fonts were a thing.
Yes, I am a big fan of them too :)



Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 01, 2015, 03:42:38 AM
Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 01, 2015, 02:27:04 AM
Make all the text on dark backgrounds a shade of light gray, that should help readability.
Links as well [emoji14]
Quote from: DarkestEx on November 01, 2015, 03:02:59 AM
Quote from: Ivoah on November 01, 2015, 01:40:31 AM
I don't know if it's because I'm a mod, but I get a PHP error at the top of the page:
QuoteParse error: syntax error, unexpected '$data' (T_VARIABLE) in /var/www/codewalr.us/Sources/Subs.php(1702) : runtime-created function on line 2
I haven't seen that one even though I am moderator in this forum.

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 01, 2015, 02:27:04 AM
Make all the text on dark backgrounds a shade of light gray, that should help readability.
I will maybe do that, though IMO its fine as it is.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 01, 2015, 02:13:45 AM
Oh nice the theme works now. Also I like the new buttons :)

Would it be possible however to not make signatures show a border by default when using the table tag? Because now my sig looks a bit strange >.<

Also maybe it would be nice if selected text still used default browser colors.


Another suggestion would be to make the text inside light green bars easier to read, such as make it bold. And make calculators owned easier to read


EDIT: There is a MAJOR issue with the theme: It uses its own template files instead of CodeWalrus theme's. As a result, most features we implemented in our theme won't show up in this theme. So if you don't mind @DarkestEx and @adekto , the final version of this theme should only involve CSS changes and we will replace the template files in the folder with copies of the CW theme ones.

Well as long as all dialogs (post, edit, moderate, etc.) stay themed within this subforum and the custom logo is kept, I don't see any reason that this won't be portable. Even the logo can be changed using a very dirty hack without changing the HTML.

Yea I could make it bold. And about the table tag, sure I can disable borders within signatures.
The error might have to do with the error I got earlier while Juju was modifying stuff on the site.

Also I'm glad that the template issues got fixed (we had to copy the display.template.php from CW folder into Microcat's). What remains to be fixed is the "Calculators owned" text just above signatures, which is next to impossible to read.
The problem is that I cannot change this from CSS as all the user ranks and this calculators owned section uses inline CSS and has no class assigned to them.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Streetwalrus

Quote from: DarkestEx on November 01, 2015, 10:51:58 AM
The problem is that I cannot change this from CSS as all the user ranks and this calculators owned section uses inline CSS and has no class assigned to them.
I blame DJ for that. :P It is changeable if you use !important but you do need a class to build your selectors, we can help you with that.

DarkestEx

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 01, 2015, 10:57:23 AM
Quote from: DarkestEx on November 01, 2015, 10:51:58 AM
The problem is that I cannot change this from CSS as all the user ranks and this calculators owned section uses inline CSS and has no class assigned to them.
I blame DJ for that. [emoji14] It is changeable if you use !important but you do need a class to build your selectors, we can help you with that.
Well it isn't as I can't reliably select those labels.
I would like to have classes for user ranks and this calculators owned field. That would be great and keep the forum overall more portable on style changes.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

DJ Omnimaga

Oh right, I forgot that owned calcs used hardcoded CSS. I'll check that later.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, Casio fx-CG10, HP Prime, fx 1.0 Plus, fx-7400G Plus, fx-9750G Plus, fx-9860G, HP 39gII
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite

DJ Omnimaga

November 02, 2015, 04:16:52 AM #27 Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 04:18:36 AM by DJ Omnimaga
By the way, while I like the theme, I kinda feel it's a bit akward that when we switch sub-forums the CW logo changes colors. Since the navigation is staying intact, do you think it would be better to have the logo look like this, so that it retains its original colors, but still have some NinjaBytes in it?



I tried doing a mockup and I thought it looked kinda cool.

  • Calculators owned: TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, Casio fx-CG10, HP Prime, fx 1.0 Plus, fx-7400G Plus, fx-9750G Plus, fx-9860G, HP 39gII
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 02, 2015, 04:16:52 AM
By the way, while I like the theme, I kinda feel it's a bit akward that when we switch sub-forums the CW logo changes colors. Since the navigation is staying intact, do you think it would be better to have the logo look like this, so that it retains its original colors, but still have some NinjaBytes in it?



I tried doing a mockup and I thought it looked kinda cool.


Well to be honorest it looks quite nice, but before changing my one I would like to test yours myself first.
Thanks for making that one :)

So what remains to fix when I come back from vacation:
- Style user ranks and Calculators owned (requires Juju, DJ or Streetwalrus to add a CSS class selector to each of them)
- Remove borders of tables in signatures (?)
- Darken links in headers

Did I forgot anything?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

DJ Omnimaga

November 02, 2015, 08:17:10 AM #29 Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 08:20:17 AM by DJ Omnimaga
User ranks cannot be set on per-theme basis, because there is no way to use custom CSS for them, at least not without making all their colors identical. EDIT: WAIT! Actually it might be possible, but it's not guaranted it would work. In the group name field, we can use the span tag, but the forums will only parse bold/italic/underline/font color. I'll have to check if classes can be set instead of styles.


ShortURL also needs to be fixed below the topic view, because the text is too dark.
The expand/collapse icons could also use some work, but which color should they be?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, Casio fx-CG10, HP Prime, fx 1.0 Plus, fx-7400G Plus, fx-9750G Plus, fx-9860G, HP 39gII
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite

Powered by EzPortal