Alternatively, join us on Discord.

[TI-84+ Series Hybrid BASIC] Sorcery of Uvutu (Released!)

Started by 123outerme, October 15, 2015, 10:35:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

123outerme

 I have decided to update the graphics and gameplay of one of my old titles, Dragonsglid! In Dragonsglid, you went around  dungeons fighting randomly spawning enemies. At the end of each dungeon, a boss enemy with a clever pun would test your strength.

Unfortunately, every dungeon was really linear and easy, with plain, open rooms, there was no backtracking in rooms or dungeons, and there were no secrets. I'm here to change all of that. Along with that, I'm introducing:
*A new extensive story (Done)
*Customizable moveset (Done)
*Interesting battle graphics (Done)
And unlike all my other projects, I won't release Sorcery of Uvutu until I'm 100% satisfied with it. So now I am.

15 years ago, the nameless One of the Prophesy made a choice that would change the future forever. Unfortunately, that change didn't last long, as his kingdom, taken first by the Dragonsglid, fell into disorder and crumbled. 15 years after the events of Dragonsglid, the One of the Prophesy lived on and had a child, who had immense potential to save those left of the Uvutians.



v1.4 uploaded!

DJ Omnimaga

That looks cool so far and nice improvment on the graphics. :) Will the final title be Dragonsglid: Arcane of Uvutu?

Some of the dungeon graphics are interesting, although I am confused about the 3rd on the left and the 1st on the right. Are they supposed to be small rocks or holes? Ideally, unless the floor is surrounded by plenty of holes, you should try to make the floor easier to distinguish from the walls, like for the other tilesets. The swamp one is my favorite :)


Nice to see you again, by the way. I hope you have more free time soon :)

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 16, 2015, 01:03:04 am
That looks cool so far and nice improvment on the graphics. :) Will the final title be Dragonsglid: Arcane of Uvutu?

Some of the dungeon graphics are interesting, although I am confused about the 3rd on the left and the 1st on the right. Are they supposed to be small rocks or holes? Ideally, unless the floor is surrounded by plenty of holes, you should try to make the floor easier to distinguish from the walls, like for the other tilesets. The swamp one is my favorite :)


Nice to see you again, by the way. I hope you have more free time soon :)

Actually, that's not a bad title. I might do that.
They are both supposed to be holes in the stone floor and the bricks, respectively. From the brick I'd like it to remain the same, so that it looks like it used to be a part of the floor but was cracked. I like the swamp one too, from the size that the screenshot is at. I wasn't too sure about the inner tiles but it looks great.
Right now I'm working on animations for moves in battle. Then I'll probably get to making the basics of the battle screen.

123outerme

Well I added collision, a sample map, and an empty battle feature.

Unicorn

Might I ask how you did collision detection, and that sliding animation for the battle? I'm think that could be useful for me for fighting as well.



??? ??? ??? ??? ???

123outerme

October 16, 2015, 09:57:51 pm #5 Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 09:59:43 pm by 123outerme
Quote from: Unicorn on October 16, 2015, 09:44:32 pm
Might I ask how you did collision detection, and that sliding animation for the battle? I'm think that could be useful for me for fighting as well.

I used something like this for collision:
real(3,2,X,Y,20,1,0,0→T             //This checks the tile the player is standing on (before it's rendered) at (X,Y) on a 20 width map stored in Str1. The ending 0,0 is the x and y offset
If (T>7 and T<16) or T=23 or T=24       // These values correspond to numbers in your tileset. 0 is the one on the very top left, 1 right below, etc.
Then
Z→X
θ→Y                                 // Z and θ hold the values of X and Y before I tried to move
End

The sliding animation?

real(0,3,4,0,1
For(W,0,160,2
real(8,2,W
End

DJ Omnimaga

Quote from: 123outerme on October 16, 2015, 09:22:17 pm
Well I added collision, a sample map, and an empty battle feature.

Looks good so far. For battles you should add a border to the text window and separate sections to make them look like separate windows, like old Final Fantasy games.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 17, 2015, 05:48:35 am
Quote from: 123outerme on October 16, 2015, 09:22:17 pm
Well I added collision, a sample map, and an empty battle feature.

Looks good so far. For battles you should add a border to the text window and separate sections to make them look like separate windows, like old Final Fantasy games.

I was planning on doing that later, I just want to get the minimum viable product done first.

DJ Omnimaga

Ah ok cool to hear. I wonder: What is the guy sprite supposed to represent? Are you a monster in this game is this sprite a placeholder?

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 17, 2015, 10:37:18 pm
Ah ok cool to hear. I wonder: What is the guy sprite supposed to represent? Are you a monster in this game is this sprite a placeholder?

The character's actually wearing a hood. Basically so you can imagine yourself as the hero. Now I've (easily) added the overworld menu, I just have to add saving and quitting, save files, and the items menu and I'll be all done with that. The battle system will also become better when I add the save file.

DJ Omnimaga

Ooh I see. I like the anonymous character idea to put yourself into him. I can't wait to see the menu :)

123outerme

I added the title screen and the overworld menu, as well as polishing the battle menu and the dirt path sprite, which is now a stone path.

p4nix

Really nice job you've done, the graphics look very good and i also like that menu selection sword :)

123outerme

Quote from: p4nix on October 18, 2015, 09:10:42 pm
Really nice job you've done, the graphics look very good and i also like that menu selection sword :)

Thanks! I love the graphics as well. But I haven't shown off some of the best ones yet.

DJ Omnimaga

I like it so far :). Do you plan to make the title screen have some extra effects for the title so that the text is larger or something? I'm unsure how hard it would be without using sprites, though. Or you could use the remaining sprite space later for a larger title font.

Will there be battle backgrounds at the top, such as a row of tree sprites?

Powered by EzPortal