The shoutbox is currently out of service. Join us on Discord instead.
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

X3D - A 3D engine for TI68k & Nspire Calculators

Started by catastropher, June 27, 2015, 02:37:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

catastropher

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 30, 2016, 04:43:38 pm
Darn this looks on-par with Playstation 1 graphics. Nice job. Also some doors should use wood or wall textures and be secret passages. :P

Thanks! :D Doors are awesome because they actually give a performance boost when they're closed (you don't have to draw what's on the other side). Yeah, secret doors would be really cool too!

I'm getting really excited about the progress I've been making. It's hard to believe that a few months ago this engine could only draw lines! Oh, and many thanks to my friend Jason and @Ivoah who are now doing some work on the project as well!
Creator of X3D, a 3D portal rendering game engine for Nspire, 68k, and PC

Ivoah

Quote from: catastropher on April 30, 2016, 07:08:48 pm
I'm getting really excited about the progress I've been making. It's hard to believe that a few months ago this engine could only draw lines! Oh, and many thanks to my friend Jason and @Ivoah who are now doing some work on the project as well!

Heh, thanks. I haven't really had time to do much of anything, aside from update the build instructions in the README. Also, you should encourage your friend to make an account here!

DJ Omnimaga

Quote from: catastropher on April 30, 2016, 07:08:48 pm
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 30, 2016, 04:43:38 pm
Darn this looks on-par with Playstation 1 graphics. Nice job. Also some doors should use wood or wall textures and be secret passages. :P

Thanks! :D Doors are awesome because they actually give a performance boost when they're closed (you don't have to draw what's on the other side). Yeah, secret doors would be really cool too!

I'm getting really excited about the progress I've been making. It's hard to believe that a few months ago this engine could only draw lines! Oh, and many thanks to my friend Jason and @Ivoah who are now doing some work on the project as well!
Nice. I was wondering actually if you drew stuff behind doors that were close. Also does the engine runs slower when you look close to a wall? I noticed this happens with certain 3D engines, although maybe it was mostly with raycasters. Bwang's raycaster for Ndless 1.0 did that.


Is Jason a CW member by the way?

catastropher

Quote from: Ivoah on April 30, 2016, 11:34:46 pm
Heh, thanks. I haven't really had time to do much of anything, aside from update the build instructions in the README.

Well there's so much to do that everything helps! I know how busy things can get (the only reason I had time to work on this so much was because it replaced all my class projects over the semester for my game class).

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 01, 2016, 05:06:24 am
Nice. I was wondering actually if you drew stuff behind doors that were close. Also does the engine runs slower when you look close to a wall? I noticed this happens with certain 3D engines, although maybe it was mostly with raycasters. Bwang's raycaster for Ndless 1.0 did that.

Things actually get faster when you look really close at a wall because the engine can cull polygons that are totally invisible. Oh, I'm thinking about implementing some more types of doors eventually - ones that open fully to one side (like doom or wolf 3D) and ones that swing out. The latter will be the most difficult though because it has to move objects out of the way as it opens (or not open at all).

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 01, 2016, 05:06:24 am
Is Jason a CW member by the way?

He might be, I thought I nagged him to make an account a while ago. I'll ask him!
Creator of X3D, a 3D portal rendering game engine for Nspire, 68k, and PC

DJ Omnimaga

Aah ok, I was wondering since most forum users use different nicknames.

Dudeman313

Yeah. Imagine if I was JKolade313 instead of Dudeman313...  :blah:
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."


DJ Omnimaga

So I was wondering if you had any luck working on this in the last 6 weeks? I am curious about how it looks like now. (assuming the project is still alive of course)

Viliami

Wow, this is awesome.
Honestly, didn't know that the Nspire calculator was fast enough to handle 3d rendering like this.

DJ Omnimaga

Heya Viliami and welcome here :D. The Nspire CX is definitively very powerful.

Viliami

Yea, I've been programming on my Casio fx-9860gii using the SDK and it is already starting to lag on my Color Switch game.

DJ Omnimaga

Ooh, nice to see another Casio programmer around. @p4nix used to program for that calculator a lot, but he had issues getting the SDK to work on Linux so he quit, IIRC. I think advanced games are possible on that calc, though, beecause someone made a raycaster and @tr1p1ea made a 3D engine run at 6 MHz fine on a TI-83+. It requires a lot of optimizing, though.

catastropher

Hey guys, it's been a long time since I've posted anything. Things have been crazy busy because I started my internship and have been going to physical therapy for some tendon issues. I am still working on the project (I'm working really hard to improve the code quality) but there haven't been too many visible changes yet. There will be several cool things coming soon though! :D
Creator of X3D, a 3D portal rendering game engine for Nspire, 68k, and PC

DJ Omnimaga

Ooh, congrats on the Internship. Is your tendon issue due to the health issues you mentioned somewhere a while ago? That sucks either way, though.

I'm glad this is still progressing :)

p4nix

@DJ Omnimaga I didn't quit, I use GCC now.

Nice 3d engine btw, I really like it :3

DJ Omnimaga

Oh ok, I thought you never could find any alternative to the official SDK. Linux and especially 64-bit Windows utilities for Casio fx-9860G development were pretty sparse in the past.


Back on topic, @catastropher , does X3D still support shading?

Powered by EzPortal