The shoutbox is currently out of service. Join us on Discord instead.
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

X3D - A 3D engine for TI68k & Nspire Calculators

Started by catastropher, June 27, 2015, 02:37:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ben_g

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 23, 2016, 09:49:23 am
Well, if plain 3D is slow on the CE( @Cumred_Snektron 's project), wouldn't textures be even slower?

Do you mean the raymarcher? Raymarching is a very heavy way to do 3D rendering, and it's even quite slow on computers. Standard polygon graphics with textures should be a lot faster.

Dudeman313

Yes, I meant the raymarcher. I did not know that.
A raycaster with textures would be cool, though...
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Lionel Debroux

The TI-68k series has at least the FAT-Engine raycaster with textures, by TICT :)
I basically didn't touch that code base myself, unlike most other TICT code bases.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

Snektron

That looks pretty sweet! :o

Quote from: ben_g on March 23, 2016, 10:52:58 am
Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 23, 2016, 09:49:23 am
Well, if plain 3D is slow on the CE( @Cumred_Snektron 's project), wouldn't textures be even slower?

Do you mean the raymarcher? Raymarching is a very heavy way to do 3D rendering, and it's even quite slow on computers. Standard polygon graphics with textures should be a lot faster.

yes, but i too wonder how fast a 3D rasterizer works on a CE. I should try it some time...
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

DJ Omnimaga

Quote from: Lionel Debroux on March 23, 2016, 01:14:53 pm
The TI-68k series has at least the FAT-Engine raycaster with textures, by TICT :)
I basically didn't touch that code base myself, unlike most other TICT code bases.
That reminds me, Gemini 3D on the CE would rule. I bet it could run very fast even in full-screen. Maybe it could be remade to use X3D engine?

tr1p1ea

DJ Omnimaga

That is cool tr1p1ea. I really meant an actual graphical remake, though, as in, 320x240 resolution, perhaps in 4 bits mode, and full-screen with either updated or colored textures. :P That said, that is nice. I guess what helped Gemini is that it was originally a 6 MHz game, so even on the CSE it will run faster at that resolution. I definitively think that X3D will have speed issues on that calc, though, so perhaps focus would have to be on the CE.

catastropher

Hi guys, sorry I've been away for so long (I am indeed still alive! haha) I have made much progress since I last posted. X3D has received numerous technical upgrades, including the ability to add textures to walls (and be properly clipped!)

For anyone who's interested in a bit of eye-candy (hopefully it'll look a bit familiar):

Spoiler: ShowHide
Creator of X3D, a 3D portal rendering game engine for Nspire, 68k, and PC

Ivoah

Quote from: catastropher on April 19, 2016, 01:54:54 am
Hi guys, sorry I've been away for so long (I am indeed still alive! haha) I have made much progress since I last posted. X3D has received numerous technical upgrades, including the ability to add textures to walls (and be properly clipped!)

For anyone who's interested in a bit of eye-candy (hopefully it'll look a bit familiar):

Spoiler: ShowHide

Looking great! I love the cube :D

catastropher

Quote from: Ivoah on April 19, 2016, 01:56:49 am
Looking great! I love the cube :D

Thanks! I feel like I'm actually make some good progress... nPortal is really going to happen! :D

DJ Omnimaga

You managed 640x480 resolution on a TI-Nspire? O.O

Just kidding, this is looking better and better. Glad to see you still around :) (I was hoping things were going ok)

catastropher

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 19, 2016, 02:09:16 am
You managed 640x480 resolution on a TI-Nspire? O.O

Haha well you see what I actually did is have the Nspire render the same scene 4 times with the camera in different positions. Then, I stitched them together to create the huge image! jk Though it does render on the Nspire (though not very fast because I haven't optimized it yet).

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 19, 2016, 02:09:16 am
Just kidding, this is looking better and better. Glad to see you still around :) (I was hoping things were going ok)

Thanks! People at my school still look at me like I'm crazy when I say I'm implementing Portal for the calculator... heck, I am a bit crazy aren't I? haha I actually took a break for like two weeks and then got really bored and went back to working on it :P

DJ Omnimaga

Lol, imagine if Nspire C had linking capabilities and someone made a game that had a quadruple screen mode that allowed one to use 4 TI-Nspires as one large screen. It would be akward XD

And yeah some people think that calculators can still only display graphs or that it's pointless to port a game to a $150 machine that is way inferior to smartphones. Well... here's the thing: It's an old-school machine (to a certain extent) and there are still people who program games for the $300 Commodore 64 :P (although people in Europe are lucky since PAL C64 are like $30). I still like pushing such machines or languages that they support to their limits. :) (and I'm 100% sure that April Fools joke on the front page would be feasible at half the speed the fake Wolfeinstein 3D screenshot runs at)

Vogtinator

QuoteFor anyone who's interested in a bit of eye-candy (hopefully it'll look a bit familiar):

That looks great! Now add shadows and ambient occlusion to make it look even better :P

QuoteLol, imagine if Nspire C had linking capabilities

It has: https://hackspire.unsads.com/index.php/Syscalls#NavNet

Quoteand someone made a game that had a quadruple screen mode that allowed one to use 4 TI-Nspires as one large screen. It would be akward XD

*awesome!

catastropher

Quote from: Vogtinator on April 19, 2016, 04:24:58 am
That looks great! Now add shadows and ambient occlusion to make it look even better :P

haha While I can't do either of those things, I have figured out a way to do gouraud shading with textures at a very low cost... hopefully I'll add that in once I get it fast enough! :D