The shoutbox is currently out of service. Join us on Discord instead.
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Post your desktop !

Started by Streetwalrus, June 22, 2015, 08:06:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Omnimaga

I guess Arch is more for people who love command consoles and old-schoolness. :P

DarkestEx

Streetwalrus

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 09, 2016, 04:24:54 am
I guess Arch is more for people who love command consoles and old-schoolness. :P

Command line doesn't mean old-school though. For some tasks it can be pretty powerful, like batch processing, which is a pain to do in GUIs. Also there is the problem that most GUIs are anti-keyboard and some people find working with the keyboard only a lot more comfortable (me included). When you're used to it it's a lot faster than mouse based interfaces.

DarkestEx

Quote from: Streetwalrus on July 09, 2016, 02:58:15 pm
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 09, 2016, 04:24:54 am

Command line doesn't mean old-school though. For some tasks it can be pretty powerful, like batch processing, which is a pain to do in GUIs. Also there is the problem that most GUIs are anti-keyboard and some people find working with the keyboard only a lot more comfortable (me included). When you're used to it it's a lot faster than mouse based interfaces.

I totally think the same. I prefer the command line for basically most administrative tasks or for some parts of my development cycle such as pushing to Github, browsing files, etc.

DJ Omnimaga

Yeah I agree. I guess it depends of people and their needs, though. For example, I don't like having to spend 15 seconds navigating to a directory and launching a file by typing commands when I can do it in 2 clicks in 1 second. :P

Streetwalrus

I can do it in a couple keystrokes... less than a second. :P

DarkestEx

Quote from: Streetwalrus on July 10, 2016, 08:02:07 am

Same here :)

DJ Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on July 10, 2016, 08:02:07 am
I don't know how you guys do it. Even @Patrick Davidson seemed to navigate in less than a second from a directory to another via command prompt when I was with him and he was searching through old IRC logs, same for opening files O.O.

I guess it didn't help that since my childhood, anything I did on computers was via GUI's, even on Windows 3.1.

On a side note I am really tempted to theme my Windows 7 machine after 8-bits stuff, but I need to make sure it doesn't cause eye cancer.

Streetwalrus

It's a matter of habit I guess. Also tab completion helps. :P

And yeah, it's important not to go overboard when theming, otherwise it will either look ugly or distract you from what's important.

Snektron

I found out how to put windows in 256 colors mode.
This is not what my wallpaper should look like...
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Unicorn

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

DJ Omnimaga

July 19, 2016, 09:26:04 pm #206 Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 09:33:23 pm by DJ Omnimaga
I forgot this was possible on newer OSes @Cumred_Snektron , but now I remember that all you had to do is set compatibility mode on a random .exe file and set it to run in 256 colors.

EDIT: The coolest part was this *.*

DJ Omnimaga

Same desktop background, just different OS.

Unicorn

August 01, 2016, 11:40:02 pm #208 Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 11:47:23 pm by Unicorn
My desktop:

Funny enough, though, the smaller looking screen is much bigger.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Ivoah

My desktop was a total mess a few days ago, icons were overlapping. I still need to clean it up some more, but it's better.