The shoutbox is currently out of service. Join us on Discord instead.
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Post your desktop !

Started by Streetwalrus, June 22, 2015, 08:06:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Juju

Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

c4ooo

Quote from: Streetwalrus on July 09, 2016, 02:58:15 pm
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 09, 2016, 04:24:54 am
I guess Arch is more for people who love command consoles and old-schoolness. :P

Command line doesn't mean old-school though. For some tasks it can be pretty powerful, like batch processing, which is a pain to do in GUIs. Also there is the problem that most GUIs are anti-keyboard and some people find working with the keyboard only a lot more comfortable (me included). When you're used to it it's a lot faster than mouse based interfaces.

I generally never use CMD except for very basic tasks. I do all my programming in an IDE, which is much easier then having a window for editing, another for compiling, as well as a file browser, etc. Generally unless CMD is already open to the correcg directory and I know the exact file path, using a visual GUI is much easier, and faster.

DJ Omnimaga

THe issue with CMD is when not using batch files, it can take a while to navigate between some folders, especially if you can't remember the paths by heart.

Juju

cmd is the best. At least for me. If you don't need that GUI, that is.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Unicorn

But what you do, DJ, is make those paths nice and easy, one directory from th starting directory. I prefer navigating folders woth cmd rather than a file explorer; there is no load time, and doing all that typing makes you feel cool :P

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Turiq

Spoiler: ShowHide

Woo, cluttered desktops. Also, woo, mismatched monitor resolutions :^)
*blinks*

DJ Omnimaga

Unicorn I just do what Turiq does: put files I use often on my desktop. I don't care about icons :P But I ha e to make sure it won't get messy.

Juju

Gravity Falls fan here, eh? I should definitely watch that one day.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Turiq

Quote from: Juju on September 13, 2016, 04:35:57 pm
Gravity Falls fan here, eh? I should definitely watch that one day.

Do. Gravity Falls is a gem.
*blinks*

DJ Omnimaga

There's an Gravity Falls anime? O.O  I guess I played too many calc games because for me, Gravity Falls/Run/Guy is that one game where you move non-stop in a 2D side-scrolling map and must switch gravity with the 2nd key. :P

Juju

I'm not sure it's the same Gravity Falls we're talking about.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Juju

Yay, managed to reinstall macOS on an external hard drive after the internal was pratically destroying itself and crumble under errors. Spent like 3 days trying to do that. Oh well. Now it works... Sometimes it's better restarting from scratch.

(yes Miku thanks for cheering me ^.^)
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Turiq

...I think I melted a little. That Miku background is too adorable for me.
*blinks*

kotu

SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

p2

* p2 is still waiting for some lime green console text to appear >.>
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)