* WalrusIRC

You need to have 5 posts and not be part of restricted usergroups in order to use the WalrusIRC embedded shoutbox. However, you can also access our IRC channel called #CodeWalrus via EFnet.

Author Topic: New HP Prime firmware release 2015.0427 (revision 7820)  (Read 5198 times)

Offline DJ Omnimaga

• Omni founder & CW co-founder
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Forum Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Topic Management
  • Post Rating Ratio: +83/-4
    • dj_omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga.music
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • dj_omnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • /u/DJ_Omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga
    • 112/11286
    • @djomnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • View Profile
    • DJ Omnimaga music store
New HP Prime firmware release 2015.0427 (revision 7820)
« on: May 14, 2015, 05:25:17 am »
HP has now released a new firmware revision for the HP Prime calculator: version 2015.0427 (revision 7820). It features the following improvements, as stated by Tim Wessman on HP Museum:

Better horizontal and vertical pinch zoom functionality.
Better statistics calculations and functionality.
Touch screen curve sketching and automatic recognition of curve type and equation fitting.
Improved help throughout the system.
Quality and reliability improvements.
Better support for USB 3.0 system update connectivity.

(click to show/hide)

If your connectivity kit doesn't detect any update for some reasons, you can download it on their FTP folder at "ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/". Make sure to backup any data (such as school programs, your CW contest entry and/or other projects) from your HP Prime emulator and calculators beforehand, just in case.

Source: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-3823.html
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 05:27:18 am by DJ Omnimaga »

• Calculators owned: TI-73, TI-80 (broken), TI-81, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+SE (broken), TI-84+, TI-84+CSE, TI-84+CE, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89T, TI-92, TI-Nspire, TI-Nspire CX, HP 39gII, HP Prime, Casio fx-7000G, fx-7400G+, fx-7700GE, fx-9750G+, fx-9750GII, fx-9860G, cfx-9850G, FX-1.0+, fx-CG10, fx-CP400
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung i5510, Nexus 5, Atari 2600, Lynx, SMS, Game Gear, Genesis, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U, GBA, DS, 3DS, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PSVita, XBox 360, XBOne

Bandcamp|Reverbnation|Facebook|Youtube|Twitter
Retired Omnimaga admin (2001-11) and editor (2012-14)

Offline Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

• Urist McEiyolobster
  • Super User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +11/-2
  • Fanciest Walrus of the oceans.
    • @@Eiyeron
    • Eiyeron
    • /u/Eiyeron
    • Eiyeron
    • View Profile
    • Rétro-Actif : Rétro/Prog/Blog
TL;DR, did they released a C/C++ SDK?
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Offline Streetwalrus

• Professional slacker
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Server Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • Post Rating Ratio: +19/-0
  • ƎW∀⅁ ƎH⊥
    • View Profile
Still not I suppose. It's sad. Someone donate one to me already so that I can hack it. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-80, HP 40G, TI-84 Plus rev G (yay 128k RAM), TI-83 Plus Silver Edition (broken LCD), TI-82 Stats.fr (black), TI-Nspire CX rev C (yay Nlaunchy), TI-83+ SE ViewScreen

Offline Lionel Debroux

• Full User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +11/-0
    • debrouxl
    • 58/5891
    • View Profile
Like the Nspire, the Prime is tailored for school and exam testing usage. HP devs will have the duty to close arbitrary native code execution holes in the standard OS, Cyrille de Brébisson was on public record about that. HP will simply not release a native code SDK for the Prime...

However, the Prime remains a far more open calculator than the Nspire is, because as proven by critor and I, we can flash arbitrary OS onto it. So far, I'm the only person who took advantage of that capability, using standard C/C++ tooling targeting the ARM ISA, in a bare-metal, freestanding environment. That's a real shame.
Nobody bested my man-day of work on that PoC (which means both Proof of Concept and Piece of Crap here). I get to criticize my own work as much as I want, and I can safely state that in absolute terms, what I did thoroughly sucks, though in relative terms, it's the only program of its kind on that platform :)

For over a year and a half, we've all known what needs to be done with leveraging the Prime's power for our own purposes. However, nobody does it, due to lack of time and low user base, which raises lack of interest in the platform.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 11:54:04 am by Lionel Debroux »
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

Offline Streetwalrus

• Professional slacker
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Server Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • ƎW∀⅁ ƎH⊥
    • View Profile
Yeah it's a real shame. I'd love to play around with it. I have some experience with bare metal arm, the soc is heavily documented so it shouldn't be a big issue besides getting the hardware (I don't have that much money).
  • Calculators owned: TI-80, HP 40G, TI-84 Plus rev G (yay 128k RAM), TI-83 Plus Silver Edition (broken LCD), TI-82 Stats.fr (black), TI-Nspire CX rev C (yay Nlaunchy), TI-83+ SE ViewScreen

Offline DJ Omnimaga

• CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Forum Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Topic Management
    • dj_omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga.music
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • dj_omnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • /u/DJ_Omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga
    • 112/11286
    • @djomnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • View Profile
Like the Nspire, the Prime is tailored for school and exam testing usage. HP devs will have the duty to close arbitrary native code execution holes in the standard OS, Cyrille de Brébisson was on public record about that. HP will simply not release a native code SDK for the Prime...

However, the Prime remains a far more open calculator than the Nspire is, because as proven by critor and I, we can flash arbitrary OS onto it. So far, I'm the only person who took advantage of that capability, using standard C/C++ tooling targeting the ARM ISA, in a bare-metal, freestanding environment. That's a real shame.
Nobody bested my man-day of work on that PoC (which means both Proof of Concept and Piece of Crap here). I get to criticize my own work as much as I want, and I can safely state that in absolute terms, what I did thoroughly sucks, though in relative terms, it's the only program of its kind on that platform :)

For over a year and a half, we've all known what needs to be done with leveraging the Prime's power for our own purposes. However, nobody does it, due to lack of time and low user base, which raises lack of interest in the platform.
Yeah it's a shame that not more people are interested in hacking the calc. On the other hand, there are probably some people who think hacking it is useless because of how powerful HP PPL is. Just look at how smooth Mineprime smoothscrolling is.

I personally am not as upset that HP locked the HP Prime down than I was with the TI-Nspire, because they at least did the effort to give us a good alternative. TI took 4 years before finally doing it and while Lua has improved a lot since then, it still has some annoying limitations that can hinder speed considerably.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 04:21:05 pm by DJ Omnimaga »
  • Calculators owned: TI-73, TI-80 (broken), TI-81, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+SE (broken), TI-84+, TI-84+CSE, TI-84+CE, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89T, TI-92, TI-Nspire, TI-Nspire CX, HP 39gII, HP Prime, Casio fx-7000G, fx-7400G+, fx-7700GE, fx-9750G+, fx-9750GII, fx-9860G, cfx-9850G, FX-1.0+, fx-CG10, fx-CP400
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung i5510, Nexus 5, Atari 2600, Lynx, SMS, Game Gear, Genesis, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U, GBA, DS, 3DS, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PSVita, XBox 360, XBOne

Offline Streetwalrus

• Professional slacker
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Server Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • ƎW∀⅁ ƎH⊥
    • View Profile
That's true, but low level languages aren't only a matter of speed. :P Asm can be pretty fun to mess with, even on ARM.

Offline DJ Omnimaga

• CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Forum Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Topic Management
    • dj_omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga.music
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • dj_omnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • /u/DJ_Omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga
    • 112/11286
    • @djomnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • View Profile
Yeah true. However, seeing how few hardcore ASM coders there are on Z80 calcs compared to BASIC/Axe programmers and how much smaller the HP Prime programming fanbase is compared to TI-z80's, I bet that there are probably like 3 or 4 people who are really interested in hacking the HP Prime and maybe not even one of them have the time to do it.

Offline alexgt

• Just your friendly neighborhood Ninja Stach Fancy Iron Man
  • Super User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +6/-1
  • Something should go here...
    • /u/alexgt9123
    • View Profile
Hacking would be cool but I don't want HP to lock it down like the NSpire. And \/
Yeah it's a shame that not more people are interested in hacking the calc. On the other hand, there are probably some people who think hacking it is useless because of how powerful HP PPL is. Just look at how smooth Mineprime smoothscrolling is.
To put that is perspective about MinePrime I display two GROBs that are each 1600x800 in size 16 times to do the smooth scrolling. Sadly I tried using a 320x240 GROB but copying to it was too slow :(.

EDIT: To say the truth if there were exploits out I would definitely use them :P
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Offline DJ Omnimaga

• CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Forum Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Topic Management
    • dj_omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga.music
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • dj_omnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • /u/DJ_Omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga
    • 112/11286
    • @djomnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • View Profile
Aah I see. Lua cannot use such GROB IIRC so you have to redraw the map parts shown on the screen frame by frame, one tile by one. But even in HP PPL doing this would be faster than Lua I think. I wish that they made a 400 MHz Nspire CX with 256 MB of Flash.

Offline Snektron

• Lvl 69 Russian Snake
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Topic Management
  • Post Rating Ratio: +31/-0
  • SSSssssss.....
    • RobinDeWalvis
    • Kzyrox
    • RobinDeWalvis
    • View Profile
    • quantuminfinity
But isn't HPPPL compiled anyway? and since Lua is interperted you'd HPPPL to run faster anyway
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Offline DJ Omnimaga

• CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Forum Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Topic Management
    • dj_omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga.music
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • dj_omnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • /u/DJ_Omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga
    • 112/11286
    • @djomnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • View Profile
It is. I wish TI went such route.

Offline Adriweb

• Full User
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Post Rating Ratio: +6/-0
    • Adriweb
    • @Adriweb
    • Adriweb
    • @UC-UIrbk5SuaUCvnV6SQvt-Q
    • /u/Adriweb
    • Adriweb
    • View Profile
    • TI-Planet.org
Having TI use LuaJIT would be a great step forward already.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Offline DJ Omnimaga

• CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Forum Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Topic Management
    • dj_omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga.music
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • dj_omnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • /u/DJ_Omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga
    • 112/11286
    • @djomnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • View Profile
Also it would be nice if their Lua didn't remove many commands (although it's ok I guess if they have to remove some to respect exam regulations), so that people who learn Lua for computer programming have an easier time porting their programs to the calculator. Would LuaJIT automatically do that?

Offline Streetwalrus

• Professional slacker
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Server Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • ƎW∀⅁ ƎH⊥
    • View Profile
EDIT: To say the truth if there were exploits out I would definitely use them :P
Well, there's no need for exploits on the prime. You can run arbitrary code just by replacing the OS, which the calculator isn't locked against at all unlike the Nspire. I already suggested a preloaded that can load either the OS or custom code, but since I do not own the calc I can't do it myself.

You can also use the following HTML or bulletin board code to share it on your page or forum signature!

Also do not forget to check our affiliates below.
Planet Casio TI-Planet Calc.news BroniesQC BosaikNet Velocity Games