Alternatively, join us on Discord.

(Results out!) CW 4x3 Game Contest!

Started by DJ Omnimaga, April 28, 2015, 11:54:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tr1p1ea

On Android can there be on-screen touch controls? (like a dpad or something?)

DJ Omnimaga

They cannot be visible (unless you decide to do a 3x3 d-pad sprite that fills almost the entire screen :P). Touch/mouse controls themselves are allowed, though.

Unicorn

April 29, 2015, 05:41:38 am #17 Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 05:45:52 am by Unicorn
So the game MUST be squares, there can't be any designs inside the "squares"?

Also, can stats and things be displayed on the top of the screen?



??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Strontium

Quote from: Unicorn on April 29, 2015, 05:41:38 am
So the game MUST be squares, there can't be any designs inside the "squares"?

Also, can stats and things be displayed on the top of the screen?


What part of "must be 4x3" don't you get :P

Unicorn

I was just wondering...

Also, can there be a menu before and after the game starts displaying help/stats/restart?



??? ??? ??? ??? ???

DJ Omnimaga

Nah, everything must be 4x3. Think for example about how your computer runs in 1920x1080 or 1280x720 pixels resolution, the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition 320x240 or 160x240 and the TI-83 Plus 96x64. Now you are limited to 4x3 (basically, just 12 squares). For menu options or game help you will have to put that in the readme or find ways to make the game intuitive despite the limitations.

Unicorn

Ok, cool, K know what I will use for the scores so i can start writin that!



??? ??? ??? ??? ???

DarkestEx

I am participating in this contest.
I wrote a 4x3 grayscale framebuffered, async engine, but I have a few questions:

Is it allowed to require external "hardware" on the calc (like a printed page or a pen)?
Also, is greyscale allowed?
I made the engine, but soelchf wants to make his own game, but he doesn't know axe too well, can I give him my engine's source code so that he can make his game with my high level functions?

Snektron

Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...


DJ Omnimaga

Quote from: DarkestEx on April 29, 2015, 11:34:00 am
I am participating in this contest.
I wrote a 4x3 grayscale framebuffered, async engine, but I have a few questions:

Is it allowed to require external "hardware" on the calc (like a printed page or a pen)?
Also, is greyscale allowed?
I made the engine, but soelchf wants to make his own game, but he doesn't know axe too well, can I give him my engine's source code so that he can make his game with my high level functions?
External hardware such as a dice and pen (eg for a traditional role playing game) might be tolerated, but remember that we are judging gameplay as well, so if such stuff hinders gameplay too much then this could affect the score.

And yes grayscale is allowed. As for sharing your engine, you can't, though. Sorry.

DarkestEx

April 29, 2015, 04:37:48 pm #25 Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 04:39:23 pm by DarkestEx
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 29, 2015, 03:43:49 pm
Quote from: DarkestEx on April 29, 2015, 11:34:00 am
I am participating in this contest.
I wrote a 4x3 grayscale framebuffered, async engine, but I have a few questions:

Is it allowed to require external "hardware" on the calc (like a printed page or a pen)?
Also, is greyscale allowed?
I made the engine, but soelchf wants to make his own game, but he doesn't know axe too well, can I give him my engine's source code so that he can make his game with my high level functions?
External hardware such as a dice and pen (eg for a traditional role playing game) might be tolerated, but remember that we are judging gameplay as well, so if such stuff hinders gameplay too much then this could affect the score.

And yes grayscale is allowed. As for sharing your engine, you can't, though. Sorry.


But be serious. You just can't make gameplay only with 4x3 squares. Its just impossible. You can only use it with the manual though so a printed paper (in my case an overlay over the screen with holes or a chart with display codes) is the only way of playing such a game.

DJ Omnimaga

False, I could port Illusiat TI-81 Remake to 4x3 color if I wanted to. HP would be red (and become darker as it gets close to zero) and MP green. Plus even a primitive Mario game would be possible if someone wanted to. It just requires imagination. And for controls the readme can be used. Granted, it is not ideal when sending the game between friends at school since they won't get the manual, but this is for a contest that asks you to be creative (*cough*without repeatedly trying to find loopholes in the rules*cough*).

DarkestEx

April 29, 2015, 05:10:06 pm #27 Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 05:13:36 pm by DarkestEx
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 29, 2015, 05:08:14 pm
False, I could port Illusiat TI-81 Remake to 4x3 color if I wanted to. HP would be red (and become darker as it gets close to zero) and MP green. Plus even a primitive Mario game would be possible if someone wanted to. It just requires imagination. And for controls the readme can be used. Granted, it is not ideal when sending the game between friends at school since they won't get the manual, but this is for a contest that asks you to be creative (*cough*without repeatedly trying to find loopholes in the rules*cough*).

My idea was to create a printed overlay for the screen, which does not change. And a table for decoding the messages on screen.
Like they did with the first game consoles. This is not cheating, but creative.

Update:
Here's an image of such a game console:


And for the overlay, it would have been a printed paper which you would have cut holes into. I still really want to make something like that.

DJ Omnimaga

Oh, that could work since the overlay itself wouldn't be part of the in-game digital display, but of course during judging I would not have the overlay so it is widely encouraged to at least try to make the game somewhat playable without one.

Also one of my friends got that console, but I forgot if he got the overlays. O.O

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 29, 2015, 05:24:25 pm
Oh, that could work since the overlay itself wouldn't be part of the in-game digital display, but of course during judging I would not have the overlay so it is widely encouraged to at least try to make the game somewhat playable without one.

Also one of my friends got that console, but I forgot if he got the overlays. O.O

Yeah of course it will be playable w/o, but it will be much harder, as you will have to constantly look into the documentation at the beginning. But you will get the principle over time. The overlay will of course be delivered aswell (as a pdf file).

Interesting. I don't really know the console, but only the way it displayed things. It didn't had a big resolution and only monochrome, so it used the overlays.

Powered by EzPortal