The shoutbox is currently out of service. Join us on Discord instead.
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

"Rogue Dungeon" Art

Started by LD Studios, February 25, 2015, 01:41:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CKH4

I like that new one a lot. I agree that the trees shading could be different but I still like the feel for it.

LD Studios

Quote from: Eiyeron on March 01, 2015, 09:01:50 pm
And you say that my tileset is better than yours? I want to use your sets!

Oh and by the way, try adding a better shading to the trees, it could be a good lighthing exercise! ;)

Thanks a lot, yeah I can tell the shading needs a bit of work, lighting/shading is one of my weak points, but fixing it up would definitely be good practice, I'll try that once I get a chance!

Quote from: CKH4 on March 01, 2015, 09:03:46 pm
I like that new one a lot. I agree that the trees shading could be different but I still like the feel for it.

Thanks, actually the only new tiles in that mockup are the lightened bush and the trees, the rest was already in the spritesheet, I just hadn't used them in a mockup yet.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeah, Shading is one of the hardest part because you're giving volume to your drawing. Hope you'll get to something neat!

LD Studios

Here's the updated spritesheet by the way, if anyone wants it

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

DO you have a defined palette or do you choose colors on the fly?

DJ Omnimaga

Do you have those characters facing all 4 directions as well?

LD Studios

Quote from: Eiyeron on March 01, 2015, 09:30:47 pm
DO you have a defined palette or do you choose colors on the fly?

I did when I started, but then I had some contrast issues so I start adding more shades. At some point, I should probably get a list of all the colors I'm currently using and sort of clean up/organize the palette.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 01, 2015, 11:14:24 pm
Do you have those characters facing all 4 directions as well?

No, they only face left/right, but for rogue-like style games, I don't think more directions are really necessary, I feel like backwards facing sprites would just look confusing and out of place on the screen.

DJ Omnimaga

Aah ok, I was wondering in case I wanted to use them in a game other than rogue. A while ago I had an idea for a CSE/HP Prime RPG with 8x8 tiles and with some modifications I feel that your characters would fit well. :P