December 10, 2019, 05:25:06 pm

News:

Juju thinks he's so clever by putting funny stuff here

The shoutbox is currently out of service. Join us on Discord instead.
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

What causes "RAM leaks"?

Started by Midnightas, February 05, 2019, 04:54:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnightas

I am writing a simple game in ez80 assembly, and every single time I run the program, my calculator's free RAM goes down a lot.
I can run the game maybe 4-5 times before it runs out and a memory error occurs.

Is my program simply not deallocated from memory, if so, how do I get it to?

Midnightas

It turned out to be me setting IY without saving the old value.

rowan_futurerave

I'm not sure about assembler, but in C and C++ memory leaks are caused by using the calloc/malloc routines (in C) or the new operator (in C++) without using corresponding calls to free (in C) or delete (in C++).

gameblabla

Quote from: rowan_futurerave on February 14, 2019, 09:44:16 pm
I'm not sure about assembler, but in C and C++ memory leaks are caused by using the calloc/malloc routines (in C) or the new operator (in C++) without using corresponding calls to free (in C) or delete (in C++).
You can still have RAM leaks without the use of functions like those.For example, if you attempt to access an array out-of-bound, this can easily happen.Or you can simply mess with pointers that are not allocated like this for example :
https://github.com/gameblabla/blockout2-rs97/blob/ec519dbdbe7e86b8b66dc3059ada1ffae258d105/BlockOut/BlockOut.cpp#L143
This is wrong on so many levels and i noticed it while porting blockout to the RS-97. There's no way it will not leak memory.

rowan_futurerave

I agree with what gameblabla says, that sort of thing technically can result in 'undefined behaviour', meaning technically your hard drive could get wiped. gameblabla is gay.