We're on Discord! Please join our server now if you don't want to miss anything! (More info) | Join the UCC4 contest! (More info)

* WalrusIRC & Discord main room

If you have a forum account, have more than 4 posts and are not part of a restricted usergroup, then you can chat in our main Discord server room directly from here and continue using the forums at the same time. Or you can join our server directly and access many more discussion rooms!

Author Topic: Dead TI-Nspire CX CAS help?  (Read 173 times)

Offline TruDev

• New User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +0/-0
    • Tru-Dev
Dead TI-Nspire CX CAS help?
« on: December 07, 2018, 01:50:44 am »
So, I guess I might say that I own a TI-Nspire CX CAS, and that is partially true. However, the one I use is my brother's, because mine broke...
I was wondering if I could take it apart, but I am not able to without buying outrageous types of screwdrivers...

Ok, now to the description of the problem. I originally thought that these problems were caused by Ndless, but now I realize it is probably a hardware issue.
So, one day, I discovered that the screen looked corrupted on my TI-Nspire. I kind of freaked out (I think? I don't remember...) Anyways, once I reset it, it was fine, until it corrupted again. Sometimes it would boot with the old non-color TI-Nspire boot screen, which I didn't think was possible for a CX model. Eventually I had to press on+reset at the same time to get it to boot. Reinstalling the OS and formatting the device did not work. Nearing the end of its life, I had to actually twist the calculator to get it to boot. Yes, I had to physically twist the calculator, which was probably the best indication that it was a hardware problem. Now, it won't boot at all...

• Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS

Offline Juju

• aka Yuki Kagayaki aka J̵̭͕͇ù̞̭̝̯̦j̴̭̙̗͖͡ù͏͓̲̕
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Server Maintenance
  • Forum Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Post Rating Ratio: +39/-2
  • Couch potato
    • jul.savard
    • juju2143
    • @juju2143
    • juju2143
    • @julosoft
    • juju-kun
    • /u/juju2143
    • juju2143
    • @juju2143
    • Juju's shed
  • WalriiPoints: 99999
Re: Dead TI-Nspire CX CAS help?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 02:23:38 am »
It definitely sounds like a false contact on the board if you had to twist it so it works. You might want to open it, any hardware hackers here?
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Offline TruDev

• New User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +0/-0
    • Tru-Dev
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 02:25:16 am »
Also I think I should add that it's warranty is probably over or voided by now, depending on if installing Ndless voids it (I assume it does)
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS

Offline Lionel Debroux

• Full User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +11/-0
    • debrouxl
    • 58/5891
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 05:57:36 am »
Nope, installing Ndless is clearly not known to void the warranty :)
And yes, it's hard to conceive that such misbehaviour can be produced purely by software.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

You can also use the following HTML or bulletin board code to share it on your page or forum signature!

Also do not forget to check our affiliates below.
Planet Casio TI-Planet Calc.news BroniesQC BosaikNet Velocity Games