The shoutbox is currently out of service. Join us on Discord instead.
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Golfed code snippets

Started by Juju, December 06, 2018, 01:23:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Juju

Code (node.js, 346 chars) Select

[..." sos"].map(c=>{p="  etianmsurwdkgohvfüläpjbxcyzqö 54\x063é  2&è+  à 16=/ ç\2( 7  ñ8 90     \4      ?_    \"  .    @   '  -        ;! )     ,    :".search(c)
for(s="00";p>1;p=p/2|0)s=(p%2?"1110":"10")+s
m+=p>0?s:s+s},m=i="");(w=new(require('wemo-client'))()).discover((e,d)=>{setInterval(_=>w.client(d).setBinaryState(+m[i++%m.length]),500)})

Probably the weirdest constant to ever appear in a program, guess what it does.

the answer: ShowHide

Get one of these things, plug a lamp in and it does morse code with the correct timing.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

_iPhoenix_

As far as weird/cool constants in golfed code goes, this is my absolute favorite.

From the Quake III Arena source code, a routine to calculate an inverse square root
float Q_rsqrt( float number )
{
   long i;
   float x2, y;
   const float threehalfs = 1.5F;

x2 = number * 0.5F;
   y  = number;
   i  = * ( long * ) &y;                       // evil floating point bit level hacking
   i  = 0x5f3759df - ( i >> 1 );               // what the f***?
   y  = * ( float * ) &i;
   y  = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) );   // 1st iteration
//   y  = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) );   // 2nd iteration, this can be removed

return y;
}

From wikipedia
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

Juju

Ah yeah, back when golfing your code was actually useful, I love little tricks like this.

C allows for a lot of neat stuff like doing stuff on a float as if it was an int.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

rowan_futurerave

Quote from: Juju on December 06, 2018, 01:23:24 am
Code (node.js, 346 chars) Select

[..." sos"].map(c=>{p="  etianmsurwdkgohvfüläpjbxcyzqö 54\x063é  2&è+  à 16=/ ç\2( 7  ñ8 90     \4      ?_    \"  .    @   '  -        ;! )     ,    :".search(c)
for(s="00";p>1;p=p/2|0)s=(p%2?"1110":"10")+s
m+=p>0?s:s+s},m=i="");(w=new(require('wemo-client'))()).discover((e,d)=>{setInterval(_=>w.client(d).setBinaryState(+m[i++%m.length]),500)})

Probably the weirdest constant to ever appear in a program, guess what it does.

the answer: ShowHide

Get one of these things, plug a lamp in and it does morse code with the correct timing.

What a hideous bastard of a piece of code. I would definitely sack the person who wrote it.