We're on Discord! Please join our server now if you don't want to miss anything! (More info) | Join the UCC4 contest! (More info)

* WalrusIRC & Discord main room

If you have a forum account, have more than 4 posts and are not part of a restricted usergroup, then you can chat in our main Discord server room directly from here and continue using the forums at the same time. Or you can join our server directly and access many more discussion rooms!

Author Topic: CodeWalrus to move to a different host and forum software in 2019  (Read 729 times)

Offline xlibman

• Omni founder & CW co-founder
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Forum Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • Post Rating Ratio: +101/-5
    • dj_omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga.music
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • dj_omnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • /u/DJ_Omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga
    • 112/11286
    • @djomnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • DJ Omnimaga music store
In order to reduce costs, CodeWalrus website will shut down its DigitalOcean webspace on January 1st 2019 and everything located there will move to our second hosting provider, which already hosts both CW and WTFCity's Minecraft servers.

The website will also ditch Simplemachines forum software in the near future in favor of PhpBB3 or Discourse, depending of which is the most up to today's web standards by the time it happens.

• Calculators owned: TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, Casio fx-CG10
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung i5510, Nintendo Switch, Playstation TV

Bandcamp|Reverbnation|Facebook|Youtube|Twitter
Retired Omnimaga admin (2001-11) and editor (2012-14)

Offline gameblabla

• Super User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +15/-7
  • TI-nspire porter
I thought you could not switch from SimpleMachines because there was still a lot of work to do ?Between phpbb3 and Discourse though, i much prefer phpbb3. At least you can use it without javascript... Hopefully you end up using that. (or another alternative that's just as good)Good luck
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, TI-89

Offline xlibman

• Omni founder & CW co-founder
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Forum Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • Post Rating Ratio: +101/-5
    • dj_omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga.music
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • dj_omnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • /u/DJ_Omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga
    • 112/11286
    • @djomnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • DJ Omnimaga music store
The problem is that not much work was done after I got PTSD and juju got a job (on top of multiple moves)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, Casio fx-CG10
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung i5510, Nintendo Switch, Playstation TV

Bandcamp|Reverbnation|Facebook|Youtube|Twitter
Retired Omnimaga admin (2001-11) and editor (2012-14)

Offline Juju

• aka Yuki Kagayaki aka J̵̭͕͇ù̞̭̝̯̦j̴̭̙̗͖͡ù͏͓̲̕
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Server Maintenance
  • Forum Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Post Rating Ratio: +39/-2
  • Couch potato
    • jul.savard
    • juju2143
    • @juju2143
    • juju2143
    • @julosoft
    • juju-kun
    • /u/juju2143
    • juju2143
    • @juju2143
    • Juju's shed
  • WalriiPoints: 99999
Yeah, sometime last year, motivation went rock bottom for both of us, that and it's kinda hard to choose the right software for our needs. On that case, we definitely need a restructuration by the start of 2019. Not a hard limit but it would be pretty cool to be done by then, as in moving everything to that new server and it's starting to get pretty expensive. We're open to any suggestion that would be better than anything we said :)

Also, the server in question we want to move to currently hosts 3 Minecraft servers and a Mastodon instance on calc.news (which I encourage you to sign up on cause why not), it's a nice server with 32 GB RAM, enough disk space to breathe and it's only 10€, but it's the kind of company their tech support is pretty much their vice-president and it went down for 3 days cause we had a bug with it, the VM became a zombie and we had to migrate the VM to another host, so yeah. Hope it won't happen again and I do more offsite backups, they said they're gonna upgrade their installation of OpenVZ soon and it's gonna be very welcome. I mean, it's still on Linux 2.6.32 and Debian starts complaining about it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

You can also use the following HTML or bulletin board code to share it on your page or forum signature!

Also do not forget to check our affiliates below.
Planet Casio TI-Planet Calc.news BroniesQC BosaikNet Velocity Games