Alternatively, join us on Discord.

+-Recent Topics

Gateway to Legend [pc]

Started by 123outerme, October 15, 2017, 08:11:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

123outerme

Gateway to Legend v0.13.0b finally rolls out! Many new features, improvements, and tons of bug fixes implemented into this (hopefully) final beta version.
Download here: https://github.com/123outerme/Gateway-to-Legend/releases

[spoiler=Changelog]* Added all intended maps for the Main Adventure and Tutorial map-packs
* Added last music track
* Added final Ability: Charge, a headlong invincible sprint, sticking your sword out
* You can no longer switch Abilities from the Pause menu. This is to streamline gameplay and discourage frequent pausing.
* Fixed Continue option on Game Over screen throwing player into a random area
* Fixed glitchy sword hit graphics/particle graphics
* Fixed problems with toolchain
* Fixed lots of crashes on Linux machines (usually involving mismanaged memory)
* Fixed various other small things
* Reworked trigger_dialogue_once script (aka TriggerDiagOnce) into force_dialogue_once (aka ForceDiagOnce)
* Downloads: Added Makefile to GatewayToLegendbin.zip

No known bugs remain.
[/spoiler]

And finally, be prepared...

gameblabla

September 03, 2018, 08:09:49 am #46 Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 08:11:32 am by gameblabla
Hello 123outerme !Your game does not create the "saves" folder, so it will attempt to write to a directory that does not exist, leading to a crash when starting the game.A fix for that is simply to make sure to create it with mkdir
#ifdef MINGWmkdir("saves/");#elsemkdir("./saves", 0755);#endifThe game works fine after that...

There's also a minor graphical issue with graphics when scrolling between maps...


I had this issue occur for Massage simulator too when using SDL2.Note that it would disappear when running it over Wine if compiled with Mingw, even if only the OpenGL backend is enabled...I haven't found a fix for that issue for my games even.I think the only proper fix for this is to bypass SDL2's own scaler and use your own. welp

123outerme

Quote from: gameblabla on September 03, 2018, 08:09:49 am
Hello 123outerme !Your game does not create the "saves" folder, so it will attempt to write to a directory that does not exist, leading to a crash when starting the game.A fix for that is simply to make sure to create it with mkdir
#ifdef MINGWmkdir("saves/");#elsemkdir("./saves", 0755);#endifThe game works fine after that...

There's also a minor graphical issue with graphics when scrolling between maps...


I had this issue occur for Massage simulator too when using SDL2.Note that it would disappear when running it over Wine if compiled with Mingw, even if only the OpenGL backend is enabled...I haven't found a fix for that issue for my games even.I think the only proper fix for this is to bypass SDL2's own scaler and use your own. welp


Hey gameblablabla, thanks for testing! My original workaround for this was to add in an empty saves directory in the zip file, and it worked in my testing on my Ubuntu VM (take a shot every time I say that, am I right?). I guess not all systems preserve empty directories when compressing/uncompressing archives, so I've implemented your fix.

I did see those graphical glitches a bit on my Linux VM, but it wasn't from the screen scrolling. Every so often when enemies are moving, there would be a white bar underneath the enemy. I figured this was the lack of video memory allocated to my VM. Unfortunately, this looks like an issue I won't be able to fix, especially since you don't seem to have a fix for it either.

I've uploaded the saves fix to the v0.13.1b release, found here: https://github.com/123outerme/Gateway-to-Legend/releases/tag/v0.13.1b

123outerme

Here it is. Finally, after a long public beta, Gateway to Legend releases! Version 1.0.0 is now publicly available. The finished version can be downloaded today! Take a look at how far we've come with this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghyLculI4c8

I want to thank my Discord server (link in the video description), my friends, anyone who contributed ideas, art, music, suggestions, and bug reports. I want to give a special thanks to my best friend Ian, and @_iPhoenix_ , who worked together to create the music for this game.

Download here: https://github.com/123outerme/Gateway-to-Legend/releases
And share any creations you'll make here: https://gtlmappacks.firebaseapp.com/upload.html

And thanks for playing!

DJ Omnimaga

Great to see this out! I'll download it to try it soon. :)

gameblabla

So far i think it's nothing exceptional as a game itself... though i haven't tried it much i admit.
I think it lacks some oompf ! Attacking enemies is just not satisfying.

Hopefully you work more on it. (or on more games)

123outerme

Quote from: gameblabla on September 09, 2018, 01:54:12 am
So far i think it's nothing exceptional as a game itself... though i haven't tried it much i admit.
I think it lacks some oompf ! Attacking enemies is just not satisfying.

Hopefully you work more on it. (or on more games)

I've been mainly fixing bugs so far, but I will see if there's any energy left to add anything else into the game. I may not even make other map-packs, given how busy I will be this year and how I have another secret project in the works. And by secret, I mean a project with no good graphics for it yet.

mazhat

I think it's really good, but sometimes I don't know where to go.
Sometimes I get warped to the unpartitioned memory zone.
Sketti

123outerme

Quote from: mazhat on September 17, 2018, 01:19:53 pm
I think it's really good, but sometimes I don't know where to go.
Sometimes I get warped to the unpartitioned memory zone.

Thanks! As for when you don't know where to go, the flow of Main Adventure is a little more open-world. You can even skip to the final boss, if you want!

When you get warped to the unpartitioned memory zone, is this before or after my fix? I uploaded a new version (but annoyingly enough I forgot to change the version number), where I fixed just this. The final boss warp now works fine. Can you tell me where you get warped?

mazhat

Ah, I was on an older version of GtL. Everything is fixed now!
I also forgot that this is a zelda-like game. So I should embrace the openness, ha ha.
Sketti

123outerme

Quote from: mazhat on September 18, 2018, 02:54:51 am
Ah, I was on an older version of GtL. Everything is fixed now!
I also forgot that this is a zelda-like game. So I should embrace the openness, ha ha.

Yep! Everything is fixed.... now! Unfortunately during testing with some friends I found a few more bugs to squash:

Gateway to Legend v1.0.3 releases with a few minor but important fixes.

[spoiler=Changelog]
Changes from v1.0.2: 
* Fixed an issue with scripts on top of each other not triggering properly
* Fixed an issue in Main Adventure where the second-to-last Gateway wouldn't take the player to the right location
* Fixed an issue where the health upgrade menu text would be cut off before it's supposed to end
* (Not confirmed) Fixed an issue in Linux builds where the edges of the screen would flash during screen scrolling transitions if the window was larger than the map

There are two known bugs: 
* Some Linux distros: White bars appear at random, usually when the screen or enemies (?) are moving. This seems to be a SDL bug, and something I don't believe I can work around.
* Some Linux distros: During screen scrolling transitions, keypresses are stored and the players moves according to those presses in the next map. This also appears to be an SDL bug, and not one that I could figure out how to easily work around.
[/spoiler]

Download here: https://github.com/123outerme/Gateway-to-Legend/releases

Powered by EzPortal