Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

WalrusRPG - a cross-platform J-RPG engine

Started by novenary, November 17, 2014, 07:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

novenary

Just leave the calc plugged in for 24h :P Mine is always charged cause I leave it plugged into my PC for programming. You should use the computer link software or tilp tho. :P The student software is a piece of trash, I couldn't even activate my copy. >.>

Legimet

Streetwalrus, maybe you should update the first post with a link to the GitHub or something :P

novenary

Yeah I should rewrite the first post entirely. :P

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Started editing it, because I can do it. :p YOu should do some format and puts screens if you want to, Street.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

novenary

So in addition to last week's work I did to restructure the engine in a more manageable way, I completely reorganized the repo and reworked the build system today. It's still in a separate branch but as soon as I'm done with the build system improvements and @Eiyeron approves, it's good to merge.

Dream of Omnimaga

Awesome. I can't wait to try the new version. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

novenary

Nothing visibly changed. :P The stuff I did was mostly so that writing and maintaining the code is easier.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I see. I thought that almost the entire game was done.

Just kidding, take your time :), I am really curious about what kind of RPG this game will be capable of, though, especially which battle system it will use (eg will it be versatile or just a single battle system, such as Reuben?)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

*ahem*HBE?*ahem* I'm tempted to play with some C++ and try to build a battle background system like Earthbound. Totally unrelated to any work we should do beforehand but so fun to do....

Dream of Omnimaga

I wonder if integrating HBE into WalrusRPG would be possible? Is the code vastly different (if any)? I'm still curious about what battle engine Streetwalrus wants, though. At first, it was Pokémon, since WalrusRPG was basically Pokéspire, but maybe it would not be suitable for a game like Illusiat or something.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

I'd probably redo it from scratch, it's my hobby tovstart it from scratch again and again.

Lionel Debroux

As you know, perfect is the enemy of good. Especially for professional computer programmers, because the real world is very different from the hobbyist world...
As a hobbyist, I've spent (lots of) time on things I'd basically never do as a professional programmer because the cost / benefit ratio is, um, dubious.
In the real world, there's basically never enough money to do things correctly. Especially in game development: bugs galore in most modern games, be them commercial or not.

While totally unsatisfying to the mind and counter-productive for the betterment of mankind, the cold, hard truth is that inferior, half-baked, insecure but timely and well-marketed crap wins against better but later / badly marketed stuff.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

novenary

We're definitely not going to make this half-assed. We're aiming for quality but not necessarily perfection though. Thing is, since we started from scratch we need to scale our development environment, which is why we decided to switch from C to C++, and also why I reorganized the repo twice and completely overhauled the build system. If we didn't do that we'd be stuck way behind what we have now.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on July 21, 2015, 08:05:02 AM
I'd probably redo it from scratch, it's my hobby tovstart it from scratch again and again.
I definitively recommend avoiding restarting stuff over and over, unless a version is completely broken. Else you eventually lose motivation because of how long it takes to progress and then your project ends up suffering the same fate as many older TI community projects from the past and more recent ones like E:SoR.

This is also why projects requires proper planning and that if restarting from scratch is necessary despite good planning, then it should be done as early as possible into development. I think some projects were restarted from scratch 90% into completion before.

Snektron

Quote from: Lionel Debroux on July 21, 2015, 08:23:37 AM
As you know, perfect is the enemy of good. Especially for professional computer programmers, because the real world is very different from the hobbyist world...
As a hobbyist, I've spent (lots of) time on things I'd basically never do as a professional programmer because the cost / benefit ratio is, um, dubious.
In the real world, there's basically never enough money to do things correctly. Especially in game development: bugs galore in most modern games, be them commercial or not.

While totally unsatisfying to the mind and counter-productive for the betterment of mankind, the cold, hard truth is that inferior, half-baked, insecure but timely and well-marketed crap wins against better but later / badly marketed stuff.

So thats why a lot of modern things seem cty programmed <_<
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...