We're on Discord! Please join our server now if you don't want to miss anything! (More info) | Join the UCC4 contest! (More info)

* WalrusIRC

You need to have 5 posts and not be part of restricted usergroups in order to use the WalrusIRC embedded shoutbox. However, you can also access our IRC channel called #CodeWalrus via EFnet.

Author Topic: Attack of the Snails!  (Read 364 times)

Offline _iPhoenix_

• Custom title
  • Super User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +16/-1
  • ███████ ▼ ♪ Best music ♫
    • @dj_iPhoenix
    • @UCytgMNPxAMDsxjimvxHf01w
    • Legend-of-iPhoenix
    • @the-legend-of-iphoenix
    • My website.
Re: Dodge Assembly Port
« on: July 21, 2018, 09:10:04 pm »
After a short break, I made a lot of progress today:

I added a functioning health bar and collision detection! I also added scoring, too, but you can't see what your score is (yet).

Obviously, the speed is a little fast, but I cranked it up for the screenshot. If run on-calc, there isn't as much flickering.

The black stuff on the top is just my laziness. I only draw the bar once will instead of each frame, so I don't erase it or the stuff around it. If I erase it all in the beginning it'll be all nice and white, but I'm not there yet.

I'm pretty terrible at the game when I play it on CEmu, as you can tell, but on-calc it is a lot easier :)

The code itself is 572 bytes, without the sprites and palette info. With the sprites and palette info it's 1172 bytes. I'm not too concerned about optimizing right now, I'm trying to get all of the main features in, but I think that I can save a hundred-ish bytes just by getting rid of repetitive code.

To-do (in order of expected completion):
  • Difficulty (speed gets faster as you play)
  • Score multiplier (as you play, this gradually increases, but when you lose health it resets.)
  • Custom font + maybe a few other sprites
  • Display score at the end of the game
  • Highscore table
  • Menu
  • Optimization
  • Maybe some other things?
Despite this decently-sized To-Do list, I think I'm about 50% done with the game. Most of the core mechanics are done and implemented. A lot of these features are already half-implemented and will be super easy to add because of good planning and foresight at the beginning. That planning step helps more than I anticipated, I should have listened earlier to all of the people who told me to plan my programs when I joined :P
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

You can also use the following HTML or bulletin board code to share it on your page or forum signature!

Also do not forget to check our affiliates below.
Planet Casio TI-Planet Calc.news BroniesQC BosaikNet Velocity Games