Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-84+ Series Hybrid BASIC] Sorcery of Uvutu (Released!)

Started by 123outerme, October 15, 2015, 10:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: xlibman on August 17, 2017, 03:52:51 PM
Sorcery of Uvutu PC or sequel? O.O
I was thinking port first, then probably sequel if I can stomach it. I hope that I create another great mapmaking tool, since so far, in this upcoming screenshot (which I'm gonna make a whole new topic about) I blend CSE tiles with monochrome map storage. That decision will probably make it harder to port maps from the CSE (since I have to copy every tile by hand instead of winging it).

Screenshot courtesy of the Windows 10 Xbox app, so all my Xbox friends can see what a huge nerd I am.

I tell you, the hardest part was figuring out how to make a file reader read my map storage format. I spent a good 1.5 or 2 hours putting it together so it can read maps out of a txt file, and it can't even read multiple lines yet! It's some crazy code right now, and if anyone wants to see the code stuff I'm most proud of doing, feel free to ask. I also show off the text box I'll probably use (although I'll add borders and stuff later) and TI's (copyrighted?) font. I also added a % to the font (not that I needed it here, it was for another project), so technically? it's my font (probably not).
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

c4ooo

Read tilemaps byte by byte. Its more efficient and not at all hard, as long as you know how to open a file.

123outerme

Quote from: c4ooo on August 18, 2017, 04:23:52 PM
Read tilemaps byte by byte. Its more efficient and not at all hard, as long as you know how to open a file.
Honestly if I could figure how to read the xLIBC hex map format (which I assume each byte is just each tile in a row, "returning" after 20 tiles), that's what I'd go for. If I were to put
a plaintext hex string in a .bin file, would it be able to be read? Or would I have to translate the hex to binary?

c4ooo

It doesn't matter what extension you use, it matters how you parse it. So if you have a map as a plain text of hexedicimals, you can't just read it as a binary file, and would have to translate it. Unfortunately do to a currently broken laptop I can't share any code, but I can say that using raw binary data might actually be easier, but reading a plain text of hexedicimals isn't hard either, especially if your maps are already in that format :)

123outerme

Quote from: c4ooo on August 18, 2017, 09:33:09 PM
It doesn't matter what extension you use, it matters how you parse it. So if you have a map as a plain text of hexedicimals, you can't just read it as a binary file, and would have to translate it. Unfortunately do to a currently broken laptop I can't share any code, but I can say that using raw binary data might actually be easier, but reading a plain text of hexedicimals isn't hard either, especially if your maps are already in that format :)

That's what I recently did, just used a plain text file full of the hexadecimals. What I could do is write a program to translate the plaintext into binary, but for now I don't need the headache that is writing file I/O code for the tilemap loader for the 3rd time.

Dream of Omnimaga

If you use the Xbox app, does it mean you couldmake the game Xbox compatible?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: xlibman on August 19, 2017, 04:32:08 PM
If you use the Xbox app, does it mean you couldmake the game Xbox compatible?
I'm honestly not entirely sure what it means. I know that I can add controller support (which if I do port to Xbox or other consoles, I'm obviously gonna do), but basically when I made the screenshots, I had to add the window as a game I wanted to record, so I'm pretty sure it's only recognized as a game for screen capture purposes. Who knows though, I'll dig deeper into that at some point