Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

FBO Particle System

Started by Snektron, January 22, 2015, 10:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snektron

Since when does a cpu have vram...
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Since they do have integrated GPU? Joke aside, I haven't corretly read your post nor written my reply. I meant that RAM can be used as storage memory for GPUs and thus wnated to know if your system could support integrated GPU memory.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

CKH4

It works on my r5 integrated.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Dream of Omnimaga

What's cool is when a game requires certain video features, but will automatically decrease graphics quality or remove game features if the GPU doesn't support them. The game might look like crap (for example, when I played Halo on my Intel Celeron textures were very poor quality) but at least you'll still be able to play it. Many stores over here do not refund you if you buy a game, install it and find out it doesn't work at all.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Snektron

Isn't that why video settings is a thing :P?

Dream of Omnimaga

Nah. Some games will not even run at all if your GPU doesn't support them. Windows will throw and error or the game will crash. In such case, the video settings screen won't be of any help. And in the case where you can setup video settings before launching the game, then I saw many instances where even at minimum settings some games would still fail to run.

At least Halo Combat Evolved just warned me that my card was not supported and that features will be greatly reduced. The game ran perfectly, but textures looked much worse (Nintendo 64 quality) than what they would look like at minimum settings.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

I often find that when i run games in low res textures, i'd rather have nearest neighbor than linear interpollation. But maybe that's just my opinion :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Indeed, but it depends for me. Some textures and 3D really look bad without linear interpolation (eg some Playstation 1 games). I usually prefer nearest neighbor at lower resolution (eg 320x240 and even then sometimes 160x120 might be more ideal if graphics are too blocky). But yeah, if I take the following picture, for example, I prefer the N64 one (except the floor maybe):

http://www.geeksundergrace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/2.png

Snektron

After doing some other projects for a while, i think i'm going to work on this again. I want to add something to choose from multiple shaders,
for example a vectorfield particle shader and a blur post shader. I've already made the classes for these since i was experimenting:

every update it adds a noise value to x and y, resulting in some kind of patterns.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 24, 2015, 05:42:28 PM
Indeed, but it depends for me. Some textures and 3D really look bad without linear interpolation (eg some Playstation 1 games). I usually prefer nearest neighbor at lower resolution (eg 320x240 and even then sometimes 160x120 might be more ideal if graphics are too blocky). But yeah, if I take the following picture, for example, I prefer the N64 one (except the floor maybe):

http://www.geeksundergrace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/2.png

Actually, I prefer PS1's pixellated textures. ^^

Dream of Omnimaga

Nice that you are working on this again Cumred. :D

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeah, that's a fun project and I'd like to see much more doable effects with my GPU! :D

Snektron

I'm glad you guys like it :) i started to update to lwjgl 3, but it doesn't really seem to work so maybe i'll just keep it lwjgl 2.9.

Snektron

I've been looking into Compute Shaders, which are a seperate type of shader. Instead for drawing, these are more for data processing and computing (hence the name). It also allows users to store data in the VRAM in normal types, so i can use that instead of some weird texture storage. Also it way more precise, so the result should be better looking and faster :) I will be experimenting some more with this. If i release something i should probably make another topic though.