Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Your plans for 2016 (calc, non-calc programming, music, drawing, etc)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, January 15, 2015, 05:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Good to hear. :) Are you doing computer science at school?

Also age can be a factor too. If you are 18, you can have to find an appartment and a job to pay the bills and the extra chores can reduce free time a lot.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

TheMachine02

Nope, I am more in biological science  ;)

And yeah, since I am still under 18 it is fine  :P Plus I will pretty much stay at my parent's home for a while,cause appartement are way too much costly around here  ;D

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah OK. I often assume that hardcore calculator coders go into programming :P And I see. I guess it depends. Some parents kick their kids out the very day they become 18.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Vogtinator

As it seems to be the current topic, I'll just write about me a bit.
Tomorrow starts my apprenticeship ("Ausbildung" in German. IDK whether that's the right translation) 210km from home and I just moved in here.
Sadly not with multiple people, so I'm currently alone here (I hope I get rid of feeling lonely...). I guess 17 is kinda young for todays standards, but I guess I have to manage it.
The apartment doesn't cost much at all (275€ for everything), but it's not directly in Nuremberg, it's in a more rural area, but with a good connection by bus.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspie CX CAS, Casio FX-85ES

Dream of Omnimaga

Since that word contains "apprentice" in it, is it like an internship from USA and Canada, where once you finish higher school studies you work for a company for free or paid like any other normal job, but only for a few weeks and it counts towards your school grades? I'm glad you could find a cheap appartment, though. Sometimes, being alone can be better if you can afford it, because moving to appartments close to schools and dorms often involves living with students you don't know and might not necessarily be trustworthy (for example, they might steal your food or DDoS your ISP or the school intranet). Even without students I heard many horror stories about people co-leasing an appartment with a "friend", often involving one of them stopping paying everything because he spends all his paychecks into drugs, alcohol or gambling. It's good that you got decent bus transit too, because I know that in some rural areas here there is literally no public transit except cabs, which are expensive. Even my city of 142,000 people still has some questionable public transit services at times.

What are you studying in particular, by the way? Also, do you still have future plans for calculator projects? :)

Vogtinator

Hm, I didn't enable notifications for this topic...

QuoteSince that word contains "apprentice" in it, is it like an internship from USA and Canada, where once you finish higher school studies you work for a company for free or paid like any other normal job, but only for a few weeks and it counts towards your school grades?
It's for three years (or 2.5, if you're good). For most of the time you work normally, as a trainee, but for a few weeks you have to visit a special kind of school ("Berufsschule", "Work school") with classes focused on the subject. For me it's basically IT, networking and application development.

QuoteI'm glad you could find a cheap appartment, though.
It was a real PITA to find one. I couldn't find a good one in the city, so my current home is a bit outside.

QuoteSometimes, being alone can be better if you can afford it, because moving to appartments close to schools and dorms often involves living with students you don't know and might not necessarily be trustworthy (for example, they might steal your food or DDoS your ISP or the school intranet).  Even without students I heard many horror stories about people co-leasing an appartment with a "friend", often involving one of them stopping paying everything because he spends all his paychecks into drugs, alcohol or gambling
I heard about such horror stories, although it's quite easy to move in such cases AFAIK. Living alone isn't that bad, I'm not at home most of the time anyway. Currently I'm having a lunch break at work, we're allowed to do whatever we want to in our breaks, except watch c (it's literally like that in the agreement).

QuoteIt's good that you got decent bus transit too, because I know that in some rural areas here there is literally no public transit except cabs, which are expensive. Even my city of 142,000 people still has some questionable public transit services at times.
517.498 here, so a different scale altogether... Normally there's a train, but the rails overheated (I don't know how that happens either) so there's a bus instead.

QuoteWhat are you studying in particular, by the way? Also, do you still have future plans for calculator projects? :)
Application development with focus on linux. I'm still working on calc stuff, but currently not on any major apps, just small things here and there. It's going to change, though, when I have some more free time, the first days at work and living on my own are pretty busy ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspie CX CAS, Casio FX-85ES

Dream of Omnimaga

Interesting. And yeah appartments in the city are often too expensive, unless you live in the hood.

novenary

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 01, 2015, 03:12:55 AM
they might steal your food or DDoS your ISP or the school intranet
I wonder where you pulled that from. <_<

Quote from: Vogtinator on September 10, 2015, 11:20:57 AM
Currently I'm having a lunch break at work, we're allowed to do whatever we want to in our breaks, except watch c (it's literally like that in the agreement).
Heh, that's a funny contract lol.

Dream of Omnimaga

The guys who lived with you at your school last Fall or so often DDoS'ed your school intranet, right? :P

novenary

Nah, one of my room mates once ddos'd our connection to piss of our other roommate because he was being a c. :P That said the latter changed places with another guy after a couple months who was the worst dude ever. He disgusted me of co-renting. Never did his chores, arrogant, aggressive and had no respect for anyone else than himself, not even his mom.

c4ooo

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 10, 2015, 11:35:41 AM
Interesting. And yeah appartments in the city are often too expensive, unless you live in the hood.
haha.. didnt expect you to use the word "hood" :D ... Although it might be a bit racist...

but anyways, i hope to finish my 2 current calc projects, and maybe start at least two more. (new shell and rpg maybe?) I also hope to make a pc game, although idk if i can muster the motivation to do so.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh, I meant hood in the way we use it in America. In North America, hood and ghetto slang words refers to neighborhoods that have an higher crime rate and full of gangs and sometimes abandoned buildings. Seedy neightborhoods have less crime and gangs but still their share of issues, such as poverty and homeless people.

c4ooo

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 12, 2015, 07:47:41 PM
Oh, I meant hood in the way we use it in America. In North America, hood and ghetto slang words refers to neighborhoods that have an higher crime rate and full of gangs and sometimes abandoned buildings. Seedy neightborhoods have less crime and gangs but still their share of issues, such as poverty and homeless people.
Yea, thats exactly how I understood you. Most people dont care if you call a neighborhood a ghetto or hood, but some might   take offense, although personally i have never seen anyone do.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah it probably depends where they live. Also some people who love their neightborhood might not find it racist, but might dislike that people bash their neighboorhood.

On a side note, about my plans for the rest of the year, I had the idea of porting Hong Kong 97 to the HP Prime. Or I could make a game based on the New York, NY '17 joke AVGN made during that episode. :P

Unicorn

Well, I finished NAGOJI CSE, and now I'm working on battle for moneywalrus.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???