Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

A new Casio PRIZM calculator: The fx-CG50

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, January 14, 2017, 03:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbl08ma

The big question remains, which is whether add-ins for the older model will work on the new one.

At this rate, the only way they wouldn't be compatible, was if Casio purposefully did something to block them.
  • Calculators owned: Prizm CG-20

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I am guessing it will be trial and error. Hopefully there is no way for old add-ins and vice-versa to damage the new or old calc, though. I'M also still curious about what the price will be in Canada. The fx-CG10 price has remained frozen at $130 over here ever since it came out, no matter the US<>CAD currency exchange rate. The non-CE TI models also did the same from 2011 to 2015, approximately, and the fact the CE price was adjusted based on exchange rate and the fact that the older Casio models did the same makes me think the same thing will happen with the fx-CG50, which means that if the MSRP is $130 USD and not $100 USD, it will probably retail for $175 over here.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

critor

Quote from: gbl08ma on March 28, 2017, 07:37:09 PM
The big question remains, which is whether add-ins for the older model will work on the new one.

According to the new fx-CG50 Manager 3.00 emulator which has just been released, it works :
https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=19783&p=214806#p214806

Or at least, the add-ins which used to work with the old fx-CG10/20 Manager 2.xx still work with the new fx-CG50 Manager 3.00, among them Eigenmath and CGDoom :

Dream of Omnimaga

Have you tested the compatibility of this new emulator? I remember that some add-ins had speed issues in the old fx-CG manager (I think something about timers behaving the other way around, such as short timer delays lasting much longer while long timer delays last much shorter, but I could be wrong since it has been half a decade since I read about it) and IIRC some also had key input problems.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gbl08ma

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 29, 2017, 06:22:13 AM
Have you tested the compatibility of this new emulator? I remember that some add-ins had speed issues in the old fx-CG manager (I think something about timers behaving the other way around, such as short timer delays lasting much longer while long timer delays last much shorter, but I could be wrong since it has been half a decade since I read about it) and IIRC some also had key input problems.

The emulator appears to be based on the exact same technology as the one for the previous model, so it's unlikely any of that has changed.
The OS and official add-ins don't need simultaneous key presses to work, so they don't need to emulate that.
The CPU clocks and timing appear to be as poorly emulated as on the previous model.

The fx-CG 50 really is just a fx-CG 20 with a different shell, higher CPU clock, French model and exam diode, and a OS that has a different UI theme. Plus a few new add-ins, which as we are finding out, work on the previous models as well.

Utilities seems to work fine: https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=258204#258204

The only really incompatible thing so far is the looks of the main menu icons. Probably that can only be solved by providing two g3a, for each model, that while otherwise identical, have different icons. Everything else can be solved using model/OS detection inside the add-ins.

Dream of Omnimaga

It would be interesting to see a comparison of the 2010-13 fx-CG10/20 PCB's, the 2014-17 one and the fx-CG50 side by side.

critor

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 29, 2017, 04:08:40 PM
It would be interesting to see a comparison of the 2010-13 fx-CG10/20 PCB's, the 2014-17 one and the fx-CG50 side by side.

Here you are :

fx-CG20 V04

Graph 90+E

(for the fx-CG50, just remove the exam LED beside the mini-USB port in the bottom right-hand corner, and switch the position of one port Q resistor at the right of the ASIC)

gbl08ma

Only one big capacitor used... my Prizm which has undergone repair came back with none... the earlier Prizm models had two. Interesting.

Also, RAM that's not an epoxy blob. This might make unbricking a bit easier, given the right tools...

Dream of Omnimaga

Interesting. In any case, I hope those new calcs won't have defect problems like the old Prizm calcs. Seriously, my calc was overclocked before and I bet that if I start using it again, it could die at any moment.

critor

@gbl08ma Do you have the possibility to check the eigenmath app, please ?

I'm using the http://tny.im/dl/casioprizm/eigenmath.g3a download link.

It seems to be working but I'm still running into minor problems on the Graph 90+E, when I use the SHIFT+MENU menu.

The display doesn't get cleaned correctly in several situations :

And in the list-menus, the last selected item gets erased in black instead of white, making it invisible :

Wide fractions aren't drawn correctly :

And display cleaning problems too, when the history scrolls up :

No such problems with the same file sent to my fx-CG20.

Thank you very much for reading. :)

gbl08ma

@critor, I can't reproduce the problem on Casio's fx-CG 50 emulator.

It seems the drawRectangle function stopped working properly on real hardware:
https://github.com/gbl08ma/eigenmath/blob/master/src/graphicsProvider.cpp#L289

I guess it's probably due to the hardcoded VRAM address. But since it works correctly on the emulator, they must have changed it only on real hardware or it might be specific to the French version.
This means that not all fx-CG10/20 add-ins will be fully compatible with the Graph 90+E and maybe the fx-CG50. Add-ins will only be fully compatible if they are checking the VRAM address through the proper syscall, GetVRAMAddress. Utilities does not exhibit this problem, because it uses this syscall. See the following issue and associated commit:
https://github.com/gbl08ma/utilities/issues/28

Eigenmath has the VRAM address hardcoded, so it is not fully compatible.

Unfortunately, even though the solution is simple, I don't have the means to fix this now and I don't foresee having them any time soon. I no longer have a development environment set up. With a bit of luck, and if you nag me about this by then, I'll have some days in mid-summer I can allocate to this.
My add-ins are only supported on the fx-CG 10/20 platform until further notice.

Since I don't have much time right now, I hope someone spreads the news about the possible VRAM address incompatibility in other forums.

critor

Dream of Omnimaga

p2

the two capacitors look like they're connecte in parallel.
what's the difference between using one or two except saving a tiny amount of money in manufacturing...?
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

critor

@gbl08ma  It's now summer, and back to school in some weeks. :)
May we have some fx-CG50/Graph 90+E compatible update of your eigenmath app ?

I'll gladly test it on real hardware if it can help.

Thanks for reading. :)