* WalrusIRC

You need to have 5 posts and not be part of restricted usergroups in order to use the WalrusIRC embedded shoutbox. However, you can also access our IRC channel called #CodeWalrus via EFnet.

Author Topic: AppVar From Another Source Read-Only?  (Read 503 times)

Offline 123outerme

• Super User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +5/-0
  • Professional Unpaid Intern
    • 123outerme
    • 113/11355
AppVar From Another Source Read-Only?
« on: January 10, 2017, 12:16:58 am »
I've noticed while working with Sorcery of Uvutu, that AppVars not created on-calc are read-only to the calculator. I've figured this out with a save file I use to test easily. Under no circumstances can I save to that AppVar. Is this true? Could it just be my emulator? Is there a way to circumvent this possibly?
Thanks to @DJ Omnimaga for the idea to post.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 12:40:27 am by 123outerme »

• Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Online xlibman

• Omni founder & CW co-founder
  • Super User
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Post Rating Ratio: +95/-4
    • dj_omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga.music
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • dj_omnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • /u/DJ_Omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga
    • 112/11286
    • @djomnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • DJ Omnimaga music store
Re: AppVar From Another Source Read-Only?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 12:29:53 am »
Have you tried modifying the appvar from xLIBC on-calc? Try with two different appvars that contains the same data, one created directly on-calc and one created on the PC (or sent from the calc to PC then back to the calc)

This seems pretty odd because I never heard of read-only apps before, unless it's a CSE-specific thing or a bug? Someone who got more knowledge on TI-84+CE appvars might have to investigate.

By the way, the HP Prime has a type of variables (not local nor global, but rather program/app-specific) that cannot be edited by anything else than the program it was created with.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 12:39:57 am by DJ Omnimaga »
  • Calculators owned: TI-57, 73, TI-80 (broken), TI-81, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+SE (broken), TI-84+, TI-84+CSE, TI-84+CE, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89T, TI-92, TI-Nspire, TI-Nspire CX (semi-broken), HP 39gII, HP Prime, Casio fx-7000G, fx-7400G+, fx-7700GE, fx-9750G+, fx-9750GII, fx-9860G, cfx-9850G, FX-1.0+, fx-CG10, fx-CP400
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung i5510, Nexus 5, Atari 2600, Lynx, SMS, Game Gear, Genesis, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U, GBA, DS, 3DS, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PSVita, XBox 360, XBOne

Bandcamp|Reverbnation|Facebook|Youtube|Twitter
Retired Omnimaga admin (2001-11) and editor (2012-14)

Offline 123outerme

• Super User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +5/-0
  • Professional Unpaid Intern
    • 123outerme
    • 113/11355
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 12:40:07 am »
Have you tried modifying the appvar from xLIBC on-calc? Try with two different appvars that contains the same data, one created directly on-calc and one created on the PC (or sent from the calc to PC then back to the calc)

This seems pretty odd because I never heard of read-only apps before, unless it's a CSE-specific thing or a bug?
I've tried modifying the AppVar on-calc, I can edit it on computer I'm pretty sure. Just to clarify, I mean read-only to the calculator.

Here's the gif of this in action.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Offline p4nix

• Full User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +6/-1
  • Don't catch the ball.
    • p4nix
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 01:35:25 pm »
I've noticed while working with Sorcery of Uvutu, that AppVars not created on-calc are read-only to the calculator. I've figured this out with a save file I use to test easily. Under no circumstances can I save to that AppVar. Is this true? Could it just be my emulator? Is there a way to circumvent this possibly?
Thanks to @DJ Omnimaga for the idea to post.
Honestly, I have no idea about all that TI stuff. However, you could make two similar files (one of them on the computer) and then use a hex editor to find out if there is something like a 'read-only' flag. Or, easier, just search if the file header of your appvar format is already publicly available/reverse-engineered by someone else.
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

You can also use the following HTML or bulletin board code to share it on your page or forum signature!

Also do not forget to check our affiliates below.
Planet Casio TI-Planet Calc.news BroniesQC BosaikNet Velocity Games