The shoutbox is currently out of service. Join us on Discord instead.
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[ti-84+ce]Age of CEmpires I

Started by PT_, January 03, 2017, 08:22:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

E37

Sounds neat! Can you rotate the camera angle?

What are you working on next?
I've never finished a project, there is always a way to improve!
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!
Look! A slime!    <(^.^)>

DJ Omnimaga

Great to see progress. I am curious about how much faster the new algorithm is :3=

PT_

It's not going super bad, as I expected. The blue rectangle was my test 'screen', and I need to change checking the Y coordinate..

DJ Omnimaga

Do you mean on a real calc you only displayed whatever was in the rectangle?

p2

The poblem he's talking about is which parts of the map to load // render.
especiallly on a calculator the time necesary for each step (loading, inputs, renddering, whatever) is extremely crytical.
So he has to optimize it to the absolute maximum  :ninja:

And yess I assume the blue rectangle is ment as a "screen" to test how far the program already distinguishs between fields to render and fields to ignore.

Awesome progress PT_ :) Keep working on it, you can do it!!  :thumbsup:
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

PT_

Indeed, I test my algorithm to render only a part of the field to reduce time. The results are pretty good, although these are without the time needed to get the bounds, and not the entire screen:
Old: 17659450 clock cycles
New:  4131812 clock cycles
Not bad, but I fear still too slow :(

p2

U went from 17.7million to 4.1million, that's awesome!! :D
How much further would you need to reduce it?
also can omething be done by reducing the size of the ingle graphic tiles...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

PT_

Indeed, the increasing speed is pretty nice, and it's almost the entire loop, I think filling the entire screen would take up 5 million clock cycles, which leads us to an FPS of almost 10. And I think not decreasing, but increasing the tile size would decrease the time to fill, as then clipping can be done in 1 time and then display, now it must clip 4 times.

MateoConLechuga

Nice work PT_! :)

Some comments to help speed things up:

Don't redraw the status bar every frame. Change the clipping region so you can update it only when necessary.
Don't erase the background with a fill routine. Use a background tile and have your rendering routine behave similar to a regular tilemapper.

Anywho, good luck! :)

p2

well if you're at 10FPS right now and you still use non-optimized rendering in some parts, then I dont see any problem :D
I guess that should be fast enough for the game ;)

PT_

I've tried implementing what Mateo said, and I made a small routine that displays only the tiles, but it's still 6768350 cycles :(

If anyone can optimize it, I would be super happy :)

DrawField:
xor a, a
sbc hl, hl
ld (TilesYPosition), hl
push ix
ld b, 30
DisplayEachRowLoop:
push bc
ld ix, -20
bit 0, b
jr z, +_
lea ix, ix+16
_:
TilesYPosition = $+1
ld hl, 0
push hl
DisplayRowOfTilesLoop:
ld (AmountOfTilesLeft), a
push ix
ld hl, _tile_test
push hl
call gfx_TransparentSprite
pop hl
pop hl
lea ix, ix+32
AmountOfTilesLeft = $+1
ld a, 0
inc a
cp 11
jr nz, DisplayRowOfTilesLoop
pop bc
pop bc
ld hl, (TilesYPosition)
ld de, 8
add hl, de
ld (TilesYPosition), hl
djnz DisplayEachRowLoop
pop ix
ret

Sorunome

January 26, 2017, 03:48:57 pm #56 Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 03:59:33 pm by Sorunome
Disclaimer: i've never written ez80 code

This doesn't use any window logic as somehow on IRC you couldn't tell me if you use that or not :P
Also this is all untested

Also I've never written ez80 asm

; this routine assumes tileMap is the tilemap, spriteSheet the spritesheet and screenBuf the screen buffer
; sprites are one byte in the tilemap
; tilemap is 255x255 tiles
; sprites are 32x16
DrawField:
ld hl,tilemap
ld de,screenBuf
ld b,255
_:
ld c,255
__:
ld a,(hl)
push hl
push de
push bc
call DrawTile
pop bc
pop de
ld hl,32
add hl,de
ex de,hl
pop hl
inc hl
dec c
jr nz,-__
; we need to fast-forward de ofc a bit more now
push hl
ld hl,255*16
add de,hl
ex de,hl
pop hl
djnz -_
ret

; ofc this could be inlined, it's just way easier to think about my code this way. If you inline this you save a few more cc. You can also unroll this
DrawTile:
push de

; let's first grab hl

; offset stuff times 512 = 32*16 = 8*16*4 = $80 * 4
ld h,a
ld a,$80
ld l,a
mlt hl ; h*l
add hl,hl ; *2
add hl,hl ; *4

ld de,spriteSheet
add hl,de

; ok our buffer thing is now in hl

pop de

ld a,16
_:
; copy a row
ld bc,32
ldir

; progress to the next row
ex hl,de
ld bc,(255 - 1)*32
add hl,bc
ex hl,de
dec a
jr z,-_
ret
This is a signature.
And now......give me an internet!

To be or not to be.........is that even a question? Who gets to decide this anyways?

tr1p1ea

He would need transparency but it is also a good idea to utilise a purpose built tile drawing routine as opposed to a general sprite routine.

DJ Omnimaga

8 FPS would definitively be fine. 5-7 would be ok as well but only as long as keypresses are registered properly at any time (eg no missed keypresses) and processed immediately rather than one frame later.

p2

are you kidding me soru, you learned ez80 within one day...  :ninja: