Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Change The WalrusIRC

Started by xMarminq_, November 13, 2016, 12:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edits go in IRC?

Yeeees
6 (75%)
Nuuuuu
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

kotu

• Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

c4ooo

What's the point of alerting people that an edit has been made if there's no way of telling where?

xMarminq_

Only if it is the most recent. I want this to help reduce double posting.
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations

kotu

Quote from: c4ooo on November 14, 2016, 02:04:43 AM
What's the point of alerting people that an edit has been made if there's no way of telling where?

if someone's following you then they will be able to find the edit

it reduces information flooding in the chat box with this method.
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3

c4ooo

Omnimaga and cemetech have this and there's no information flood. Theres absolutely no point in "flooding" the chat (in quotes because one line of text isn't flooding) without telling where the change was made.

kotu

but there's something secretive and nice about making edits at the minute

lazydogP

Well, editing posts has different reasons. Typo, wrong information, or just for fun. So it's better if there's a check box to choose whether you would like to show this. (Maybe a hidden tag in plain text could be handy and useful?)
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS(used most often), Casio fx-9860GII SD, TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad, Casio fx-991CN X, Casio fx-82MS, HP 39GS(rarely used)
Need to buy more calculators.
Busy with study but trying to come here every day.

novenary

Not at all dj, sorunome pointed us to the right logic to determine whether to notify of an edit. Even the check box would be easy to do.

Dream of Omnimaga

Streetwalrus yeah I meant if we decided to do it on our own without anyone's help. :P

As for what people said after my post, specifically @c4ooo , specifying what was changed in the post would not be feasible, because what if a 50000 character block of text was added/replaced in the post during the edit? Would the bot spams IRC with that entire change?

Also this would require us to start storing past versions of forum posts. This is feasible for the time being (via SMF mods that already exists for 2.0, but not for 2.1 yet), but we only have 30 GB of disk space on the server, which will fills up incredibly fast if we start storing every single version of each post.

Also I am against notifying of edits if it's done on the last post of a thread and that it has been over 24 hours since the last reply. We should still encourage topic bumping if it has already been 24 hours since the last post.

Even for older posts I would prefer if it was a checkbox option, for privacy reasons.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 14, 2016, 08:29:40 AM
Also this would require us to start storing past versions of forum posts. This is feasible for the time being (via SMF mods that already exists for 2.0, but not for 2.1 yet), but we only have 30 GB of disk space on the server, which will fills up incredibly fast if we start storing every single version of each post.
No. In that case we would still link to the most recent version of that post. We don't need to put what changed on IRC either. It would say something along the lines of, Walrified edit by ThatGuy on ThisPost LinkOfPostHere.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

What c4ooo wants however is that what in the post has changed gets displayed on IRC by the bot. Or at least, that's what I am gathering from his post. IN any case, such idea would not be implemented.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 14, 2016, 08:29:40 AM
As for what people said after my post, specifically @c4ooo , specifying what was changed in the post would not be feasible, because what if a 50000 character block of text was added/replaced in the post during the edit? Would the bot spams IRC with that entire change?
As far as I understood, kotu was suggesting was only saying a change has been made, and not posting the link to the post. I never said the *change* should be posted in IRC ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh ok, but then not posting the link is counterproductive if it has been a long while since the last reply was made. People might be curious and want to read the post without having to search Google for the URL.

kotu

profile info -> show posts ??

Dream of Omnimaga

Then the user who is on IRC has to type the forum URL inside his browser bar manually, then find the user profile, then click show posts, then find the post, which could be an old post he edited and is on page 40-50 or so.

If we are gonna make it such hassle to see someone's post edits from IRC, then we might as well not implement them at all.

Omnimaga and Cemetech edits works fine other than the privacy issue for people who don't want a specific edit to appear publicly (eg an old personal-related post or unnecessary rehashing of old drama). I was only against that feature at first due to how spammy it can get when there is a 100+ posts day, but it's not like those happen often.