Alternatively, join us on Discord.

Walrus Kingdom (former PocketWalrus) [PC] [Windows] [Java] [Walrus]

Started by p2, September 21, 2016, 09:23:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

c4ooo

I would imagine its windows only?
Anyways I would recommend just learning a normal language intended for games :)

p2

I know Java ;) At least the basics ^^ but gonna try hard to improve :)
*I have to since I want to write my walrus game in it xD
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

DJ Omnimaga

Quote from: p2 on September 25, 2016, 08:18:01 pm
you dont need complicated dependencie stuff as long as you stick to basit things ^^
But you can also do a lot advanced stuff (even totally custom stuff iif you just adress the right DLLs) ^^

In general the language is super easy and you can make it do almost everything ^^ Just don't try 3D stuff xD


Well we do need complicated dependencies if you decide to switch Java. Those dependencies are actually Java itself and they're complicated because they often stop working for no reason, requiring a re-install, and sometimes older softwares stop working in newer Java versions or vice-versa, requiring upgrading and downgrading back and forth. I am ok if you use it, though, but make sure that your game is cross-compatible with multiple Java versions rather than being hard-locked to 1 specific version. At least cross-platform compatibility should not be a serious issue, though, due to Java being available on multiple OSes.

c4ooo

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 25, 2016, 10:15:19 pm
Quote from: p2 on September 25, 2016, 08:18:01 pm
you dont need complicated dependencie stuff as long as you stick to basit things ^^
But you can also do a lot advanced stuff (even totally custom stuff iif you just adress the right DLLs) ^^

In general the language is super easy and you can make it do almost everything ^^ Just don't try 3D stuff xD


Well we do need complicated dependencies if you decide to switch Java. Those dependencies are actually Java itself and they're complicated because they often stop working for no reason, requiring a re-install, and sometimes older softwares stop working in newer Java versions or vice-versa, requiring upgrading and downgrading back and forth. I am ok if you use it, though, but make sure that your game is cross-compatible with multiple Java versions rather than being hard-locked to 1 specific version. At least cross-platform compatibility should not be a serious issue, though, due to Java being available on multiple OSes.

As long as you don't use any libraries except the ones in the JDK, you don't need any dependencies, and you just have one runnable jar. The JDK comes with a graphics API that works fine for 2D. If you want to do 3D stuff with openGL or something then yea you will need dependencies.

DJ Omnimaga

I thought you needed to have Java installed on your computer in order to run Java programs? Or is it possible to compile them so that we don't need to?

c4ooo

Well that's what I sort of meant ;) As long as the used has java installed then all you have to do is send the .jar file and it will run without dependencies.

DJ Omnimaga

Ok, but my point is that getting Java installed in the first place is a major PITA, even more so getting it to work at all. I often found myself having to re-install it because my PC somehow decided it didn't want to run any Java programs anymore. That said, it was even worse with web applets than it is with executables, especially after Oracle bought Java. This is also why I was wondering if it was possible to make a Java project run on a computer without Java installed.

c4ooo

* c4ooo wonders if @p2 still needs help with a java.

kotu

anyone else think C++ with openGL/DirectX is easier than java??
#
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

DarkestEx

Quote from: kotu on October 02, 2016, 10:13:23 pm
anyone else think C++ with openGL/DirectX is easier than java??
#

Not really.
I think SFML with C# or SmallBasic is the way to go.

@p2 I highly suggest you have a look at my SquareBasic framework I wrote and sold to German Schools.
http://squarebasic.bmuessig.eu/

kotu

SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

p2

@DJ Omnimaga javas compatibility lies in the bytecode which you share with everyone (the jar file) which is then interpretet slightly different by the java environments depending on the hardware in order to adapt the code itself for maximum compatibility. So java indeed needs to be installed to run java programs (at least some sort of runtime Environment)


@c4ooo i sadly still couldnt fix my laptop due tu lack of time but as soon i got that done i will finally start working on it :)

@DarkestEx what king of children writes stuff and sells it to schools even before turning 16 xD i wish i had your childhood lol. But ill take a look at it as soon as i am home again :)

@DJ Omnimaga i had similar problems in eclipse but just moving my files to a new project folder fixed it most of the time ;)
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

DarkestEx

Quote from: p2 on October 03, 2016, 08:53:30 am
@DarkestEx what king of children writes stuff and sells it to schools even before turning 16 xD i wish i had your childhood lol. But ill take a look at it as soon as i am home again :)

If you need help, just ask. But it's quite easy and uses a Basic syntax.

That was quite fun, but the IT teacher just randomly asked me to sell it to schools. My school bought it for 50 euro and I got to eat ice in their computer rooms which I usually forbidden XD.
But you really wouldn't want to have my childhood :P

p2

Quote from: DarkestEx on October 03, 2016, 11:19:45 am
and I got to eat ice in their computer rooms which I usually forbidden XD.
lolled hard on that one  :thumbsup:

Quote from: DarkestEx on October 03, 2016, 11:19:45 am
But you really wouldn't want to have my childhood :P
idk what sort of rapists there were but it ended up with a guy being younger than me having >two times my knowledge... <_<  :ninja: *p2 hides
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

DarkestEx

Quote from: p2 on October 04, 2016, 09:28:51 pm
Quote from: DarkestEx on October 03, 2016, 11:19:45 am
and I got to eat ice in their computer rooms which I usually forbidden XD.
lolled hard on that one  :thumbsup:

Quote from: DarkestEx on October 03, 2016, 11:19:45 am
But you really wouldn't want to have my childhood :P
idk what sort of rapists there were but it ended up with a guy being younger than me having >two times my knowledge... <_<  :ninja: *p2 hides

Haha yea :D

Thanks, I feel flattered XD

No nothing like that but school related problems (not grades)...

Powered by EzPortal