* WalrusIRC

You need to have 5 posts and not be part of restricted usergroups in order to use the WalrusIRC embedded shoutbox. However, you can also access our IRC channel called #CodeWalrus via EFnet.

Author Topic: I can give you a cheap vintage computer  (Read 2686 times)

Offline Caleb Hansberry

• Full User
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Safe-haven access
  • Post Rating Ratio: +3/-0
  • I am a Christian
    • caleb_hansberry
    • Skylites Computers
I can give you a cheap vintage computer
« on: July 10, 2016, 12:29:46 am »
I went to a yardsale where some dude was selling off his large vintage computer selection, sadly he had already sold any systems that I was interested in, but since they were only $10 each for complete working systems I grabbed a few anyway. If anyone wants I'll ship to them, it's only practical in the US though. I'd use FedEx ground, it's the most economical. I got an IBM PC-XT, with keyboard and monitor, and a IBM PCjr with keyboard, monitor, and power supply,  $10 for each complete system plus whatever it takes to ship it. I also have a TRS-80 Color Computer 1 from 1980, it works fine but has no accessories, would give you for the cost of shipping and it's cheaper to ship.
If you want pics ask or I might post them later, or if an admin doesn't want advertising on the forum let me know. Thanks!

• Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: HP Portable Plus 110, Toshiba T3100, GRiD 1660, TI-99/4A, and much more than I can list here

Online Juju

• aka Yuki Kagayaki aka J̵̭͕͇ù̞̭̝̯̦j̴̭̙̗͖͡ù͏͓̲̕
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Server Maintenance
  • Forum Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Post Rating Ratio: +22/-1
  • Couch potato
    • jul.savard
    • juju2143
    • @juju2143
    • juju2143
    • @julosoft
    • juju-kun
    • /u/juju2143
    • juju2143
    • Juju's shed
  • WalriiPoints: 99999
Re: I can give you a cheap vintage computer
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 12:36:06 am »
Admin is okay with this, is it cheap to ship to Canada?

(Note to other admins, would it it be nice to open a yardsale subforum?)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

subscribe to my patreon for updates you'll probably get here anyway

Offline Caleb Hansberry

• Full User
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Safe-haven access
  • I am a Christian
    • caleb_hansberry
    • Skylites Computers
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 12:47:35 am »
To be honest no, not really. I'm not certain as to the weight of a desktop, but if it was 60 pounds, FedEx would charge $110 to ship it from Colorado to Quebec.
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: HP Portable Plus 110, Toshiba T3100, GRiD 1660, TI-99/4A, and much more than I can list here

Online Juju

• aka Yuki Kagayaki aka J̵̭͕͇ù̞̭̝̯̦j̴̭̙̗͖͡ù͏͓̲̕
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Server Maintenance
  • Forum Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Post Rating Ratio: +22/-1
  • Couch potato
    • jul.savard
    • juju2143
    • @juju2143
    • juju2143
    • @julosoft
    • juju-kun
    • /u/juju2143
    • juju2143
    • Juju's shed
  • WalriiPoints: 99999
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 01:10:19 am »
Weeelp, forget that then o.o
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

subscribe to my patreon for updates you'll probably get here anyway

Offline Jkolade936

• All Around Coolio
  • Super User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +9/-1
  • I'm an unknown loner. I try to change that.
    • Jkolade936
    • My Sprites and Walrii Collection
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 01:20:45 pm »
I'm interested! For how much can you ship to Horseheads, NY? And pics or links to pics would be great!
  • Calculators owned: None of them. :'(
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Offline Scipi

• Full User
  • Domain Name Owner
  • CW 4x3 challenge - 3rd place
  • Post Rating Ratio: +1/-0
  • CodeKitten ^w^
    • s1ay3r44
    • Scipii
    • _Scipi
    • Scipi
    • ScipiSoftware
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 01:18:02 am »
If you can ship to Miami, Florida and are able to withhold one for a few weeks until I get a place established, I'd gladly buy one of those off of you.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

Offline Caleb Hansberry

• Full User
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Safe-haven access
  • I am a Christian
    • caleb_hansberry
    • Skylites Computers
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 04:37:58 am »
Are you guys talking about the IBM or the Radioshack one?

@Dudeman313  Well lets see, the PCs wont be super easy to ship anywhere except the PCjr body is small and light, but both monitors are heavy and the PC-XT case is thick steel. Now, the TRS-80 I could ship FedEx or USPS for $18 or Priority for $23. The PCs, if they weigh 60 pounds which I haven't weighed them yet, would prolly be around $65 to ship. Cheaper than to Canada but still expensive. But cheaper than anything on ebay :)

@Scipi well I can hold onto it, I think, the sooner the better cause space is tight but it's not going anywhere. I may need to keep the PC-XT for the RGB monitor, not sure yet.

Now, both the IBM systems are valuable and rare, but for you guys I wouldn't charge :) I know I could sell the PCjr, it has no draw for me since it has a proprietary connector for the monitor.

The TRS-80, if you guys want it speak sooner cause it's already listed on eBay. Also I have a few other systems that I'd sell for a normal price, lemme know if there's anything specific you're looking for.

I'll post pics as soon as I can, been so busy today. Heres a pic of the 1980 TRS-80:

Offline xlibman

• Omni founder & CW co-founder
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Post Rating Ratio: +93/-4
    • dj_omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga.music
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • dj_omnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • /u/DJ_Omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga
    • 112/11286
    • @djomnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • DJ Omnimaga music store
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 05:16:14 am »
Darn, nice find Caleb. I sadly am not interested, due to the computers I am interested in being gone (eg ZX Spectrum, C64 and Amiga) and the high shipping cost of such heavy item. But hopefully someone can afford one of those :)

Also nice pic. I can't wait to see the others. You should put the pictures in the first post.
  • Calculators owned: TI-57, 73, TI-80 (broken), TI-81, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+SE (broken), TI-84+, TI-84+CSE, TI-84+CE, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89T, TI-92, TI-Nspire, TI-Nspire CX (semi-broken), HP 39gII, HP Prime, Casio fx-7000G, fx-7400G+, fx-7700GE, fx-9750G+, fx-9750GII, fx-9860G, cfx-9850G, FX-1.0+, fx-CG10, fx-CP400
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung i5510, Nexus 5, Atari 2600, Lynx, SMS, Game Gear, Genesis, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U, GBA, DS, 3DS, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PSVita, XBox 360, XBOne

Bandcamp|Reverbnation|Facebook|Youtube|Twitter
Retired Omnimaga admin (2001-11) and editor (2012-14)

Offline utz

• Full User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +11/-0
    • utz82
    • utz's hp
  • WalriiPoints: 50
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 10:44:50 pm »
Hmm, that's one neat-looking TRS-80! Those are quite rare over here. However, I'm almost certain that the costs of shipping to Europe + import taxes wouldn't make for a great deal, after all. So I just hope it finds a caring new owner :D Whatever you do with those computers, don't throw them in the trash, ey?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

Offline DarkestEx

• Super User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +10/-2
    • @0xbmuessig
    • @muessigb
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 10:55:09 pm »
Ship it to me. It's just about 300 potatoes in shipping :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Original Commodore 64C, Tektronix AWG2021, IBM X60s, IBM X60t, Nintendo DS Lite, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, Palm m5

Offline xlibman

• Omni founder & CW co-founder
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Post Rating Ratio: +93/-4
    • dj_omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga.music
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • dj_omnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • /u/DJ_Omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga
    • 112/11286
    • @djomnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • DJ Omnimaga music store
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 04:15:52 am »
Hmm, that's one neat-looking TRS-80! Those are quite rare over here. However, I'm almost certain that the costs of shipping to Europe + import taxes wouldn't make for a great deal, after all. So I just hope it finds a caring new owner :D Whatever you do with those computers, don't throw them in the trash, ey?
I agree. While I would never hold hard feelings if someone did that, I wish that back in the days we knew better about our games and computers. I remember parents throwing away NES cartridges when their kids got a SNES and the NES was collecting dust. Also back then we threw away game/console boxes and manuals when they ended up being in bad condition. No wonder why the remaining copies are so valuable nowadays.

And I wish in Canada and USA the Commodore 64 and Amiga had caught on like in Europe. I guess we were too busy with our Atari 2600 and NES back then...
  • Calculators owned: TI-57, 73, TI-80 (broken), TI-81, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+SE (broken), TI-84+, TI-84+CSE, TI-84+CE, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89T, TI-92, TI-Nspire, TI-Nspire CX (semi-broken), HP 39gII, HP Prime, Casio fx-7000G, fx-7400G+, fx-7700GE, fx-9750G+, fx-9750GII, fx-9860G, cfx-9850G, FX-1.0+, fx-CG10, fx-CP400
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung i5510, Nexus 5, Atari 2600, Lynx, SMS, Game Gear, Genesis, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U, GBA, DS, 3DS, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PSVita, XBox 360, XBOne

Bandcamp|Reverbnation|Facebook|Youtube|Twitter
Retired Omnimaga admin (2001-11) and editor (2012-14)

Offline Caleb Hansberry

• Full User
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Safe-haven access
  • I am a Christian
    • caleb_hansberry
    • Skylites Computers
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 06:53:20 am »
Well, I'm not the type to throw away anything computer related :) except I did throw away a broken Celeron motherboard so I do have my limits.

And yeah you're right, shipping to Europe isn't very practical for something over 13 ounces. $60 for a 7 pound item to the Netherlands for example.

Offline DarkestEx

• Super User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +10/-2
    • @0xbmuessig
    • @muessigb
    • My homepage
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 07:16:36 am »
Well, I'm not the type to throw away anything computer related :) except I did throw away a broken Celeron motherboard so I do have my limits.

And yeah you're right, shipping to Europe isn't very practical for something over 13 ounces. $60 for a 7 pound item to the Netherlands for example.
Could you please weight the items and post the results in kilograms? :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Original Commodore 64C, Tektronix AWG2021, IBM X60s, IBM X60t, Nintendo DS Lite, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, Palm m5

Offline grosged

• Full User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +2/-0
    • grosged
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 08:17:08 am »
Oh ! I remember this computer, it was rather expensive !! (my familly could not afford it)
There's a z80 microprocessor inside  oops  9_9
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 10:17:32 am by grosged »

Offline utz

• Full User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +11/-0
    • utz82
    • utz's hp
  • WalriiPoints: 50
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 08:50:14 am »
No no, this is a TRS-80 Color Computer Model 1, aka Coco 1. It has a 6809 CPU. A little odd, but quite powerful chip. It also has a very nice 6-bit DAC sound generator. Made a sound routine for it a while ago: https://soundcloud.com/irrlicht-project/pcmplay-test1-dragontandy-coco
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

You can also use the following HTML or bulletin board code to share it on your page or forum signature!

Also do not forget to check our affiliates below.
Planet Casio TI-Planet Calc.news BroniesQC BosaikNet Velocity Games