* WalrusIRC

You need to have 5 posts and not be part of restricted usergroups in order to use the WalrusIRC embedded shoutbox. However, you can also access our IRC channel called #CodeWalrus via EFnet.

Author Topic: Epsilon - Horror themed Roguelike I've been working on  (Read 570 times)

Offline Strontium

• Full User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +3/-2
  • hey
    • Unilunge
    • /u/thismarkstheend
    • Azmarok
Epsilon - Horror themed Roguelike I've been working on
« on: May 05, 2016, 02:45:03 am »
I'm working on my own game! It's a roguelike, and I am trying to incorporate horror and story elements in it as well.

It mostly exists as a bunch of ideas and notes and a few tests for various parts of it.

The following are basically my notes of ideas for the game condensed into something  slightly more coherent. They don't form a story yet.
Because of the fact they are still pretty incoherent I'm gonna just spoiler them:

(click to show/hide)

Technical info:

* I'm writing it in Rust. I like rust. Its a nice language. I'm using Rustbox for interfacing the terminal. Rustbox is a set of bindings to Termbox.
* There will be two types of things: Tiles, and Entities. Tiles are stuff that make up a map: Walls, floors, etc. Everything else is an entity with events and metadata. Items, monsters, etc. Every entity has every event implemented, but are not required to respond to them. If they don't respond, the event returns false. If they do respond, the event returns true.
* Frontend and backend will be totally seperated so if I want to switch from Rustbox to some graphics library in the future, it will be super easy.
* uhhhh

Heres screenshots of the various parts I have been working on:

That is testing the very beginnings of the map generator and the entity system.

That is testing room basic room generation. Its much more impressive behind the scenes, since its actually working with my Tiles system.

Oh, turns out I don't have that much.. BUT THE ACTUAL PROJECT IS STILL IMPRESSIVE OKAY.

Anyways, once I get it to the point its maintainable I'll make a git repo. Right now I'm just working on basic features, scrapping it, and starting over until I get the architecture right.

Stay tunnnnnnnned~

edit: oh right I forgot, Epsilon is the codename until I can come up with something meaningful
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 02:56:28 am by Strontium »

• Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

Offline xlibman

• Omni founder & CW co-founder
  • Super User
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Post Rating Ratio: +98/-4
    • dj_omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga.music
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • dj_omnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • /u/DJ_Omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga
    • 112/11286
    • @djomnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • DJ Omnimaga music store
Glad to see you're still working on stuff :D.  I am curious about how the horror elements will be incorporated to a rogue-like. By horror I often think of scary pop-up style stuff, as in, eerie atmosphere and sounds and some monster might jump at you out of nowhere at any moment with scary music, but since rogue-like is just text I am very curious. Good luck!
  • Calculators owned: TI-57, 73, TI-80 (broken), TI-81, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+SE (broken), TI-84+, TI-84+CSE, TI-84+CE, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89T, TI-92, TI-Nspire, TI-Nspire CX (semi-broken), HP 39gII, HP Prime, Casio fx-7000G, fx-7400G+, fx-7700GE, fx-9750G+, fx-9750GII, fx-9860G, cfx-9850G, FX-1.0+, fx-CG10, fx-CP400
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung i5510, Nexus 5, Atari 2600, Lynx, SMS, Game Gear, Genesis, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U, GBA, DS, 3DS, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PSVita, XBox 360, XBOne

Bandcamp|Reverbnation|Facebook|Youtube|Twitter
Retired Omnimaga admin (2001-11) and editor (2012-14)

Offline Strontium

• Full User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +3/-2
  • hey
    • Unilunge
    • /u/thismarkstheend
    • Azmarok
Are Lovecrafts stories popup books? No! I'm gonna do this the old fashion way: Creating unease in the player through creative use of the environment. I'm taking a LOT of inspiration from another roguelike for this, called Infra Arcana.
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

Offline xlibman

• Omni founder & CW co-founder
  • Super User
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Post Rating Ratio: +98/-4
    • dj_omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga.music
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • dj_omnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • /u/DJ_Omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga
    • 112/11286
    • @djomnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • DJ Omnimaga music store
I don't even know what a lovercraft is. :P But yeah I wasn't thinking of books when I read that your game was an horror game, since I always associate games with movies more than books. :P I also didn't read many horror books other than Goosebumps.

That said, the old fashion way would definitively spice the game up. :) I can't wait to see what you come up with.
  • Calculators owned: TI-57, 73, TI-80 (broken), TI-81, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+SE (broken), TI-84+, TI-84+CSE, TI-84+CE, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89T, TI-92, TI-Nspire, TI-Nspire CX (semi-broken), HP 39gII, HP Prime, Casio fx-7000G, fx-7400G+, fx-7700GE, fx-9750G+, fx-9750GII, fx-9860G, cfx-9850G, FX-1.0+, fx-CG10, fx-CP400
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung i5510, Nexus 5, Atari 2600, Lynx, SMS, Game Gear, Genesis, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U, GBA, DS, 3DS, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PSVita, XBox 360, XBOne

Bandcamp|Reverbnation|Facebook|Youtube|Twitter
Retired Omnimaga admin (2001-11) and editor (2012-14)

You can also use the following HTML or bulletin board code to share it on your page or forum signature!

Also do not forget to check our affiliates below.
Planet Casio TI-Planet Calc.news BroniesQC BosaikNet Velocity Games