November 14, 2019, 03:03:47 pm

News:

Juju thinks he's so clever by putting funny stuff here

The shoutbox is currently out of service. Join us on Discord instead.
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-84+CE] ICE Compiler

Started by PT_, March 25, 2016, 08:14:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Omnimaga

Yeah my main worry about a non-ASM OS would be the extremely large size. :P But of course if your language is designed to work well on the CE then the size wouldn't be that bad. I think I'll stick to making games, though. :P

PT_

Hey guys, I'm struggling with a code snippet in ASM for representing the BASIC "xor". The output should in register A and is 1 if A xor B is true, and 0 if false. Of course, it's not super hard, but my code is yet 18 bytes and 80cc, and I'm 99% sure it can be shorter/faster. Can anyone give it a try? Thanks! :)

My code:
ld a, (address_A)
sub a, 1
sbc a, a
inc a
ld b, a
ld a, (address_B)
sub a, 1
sbc a, a
inc a
xor b

Note: Just one simple "xor (hl)" or so doesn't work :(

DJ Omnimaga

* DJ Omnimaga wonders if @Cumred_Snektron might be able to help since he's also working on a language? I can't help, though

Snektron

@PT_  what about

ld a, (Address_A)
cp (Address_B)
ld a, 0
jp nz, _
inc a
_:
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

JWinslow23

I know nothing about z80 asm, but can't you just do an xor, but convert a nonzero output to 1? Like maybe:

Load (HL) with (A xor B)
Is (HL) != 0 ?
If so, then Load (HL) with 1
Return (HL)

That's just pseudocode (I don't know asm), but I'm thinking that should work.

MateoConLechuga

May 26, 2016, 04:42:43 am #65 Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 04:53:49 am by MateoConLechuga
The best that I can do is by having varB directly after varA, saving 2 bytes.

ld hl,varA
ld a, (hl)
sub a,1
sbc a,a
inc hl
ld b,a
ld a, (hl)
add a,-1
sbc a,a
xor a,b
inc a

PT_

May 26, 2016, 07:12:16 am #66 Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:14:27 am by PT_
My answer to all of you is no ;) For Cumred and Ivoah: what if A=1 and B=2? Xor would give 3 which is false. Mateo: A and B was only as an example, it can be any variable I (the user) want. It is useful though in some cases.

Snektron

If A = 1 and B = 2 woul;d give you

ld a, (Address_A)
cp (Address_B) ; 1 - 2 = -1, so nz
ld a, 0
jp nz, _
inc a     ; set a to 1
_:
; outcome: a = 1

Is that not what you want? else im not entirely sure what you want

PT_

In your case: what if both A and B are 1? Then cp a, b will be zero, en thus (according to you) the outcome is 1, while it should be 0.  But if A and B > 0 but not equal, the output is 0, which is right. So your code fails if A=B

Snektron

Eh, i think i used the wrong flag, jp nz, _  should be jp z, _. (It was late yesterday)
now if A != B cp 0 will reset z (so nz) and it will not jump past inc a, so the end result is 1 in a. If A == B then cp 0 will set Z, jumping past inc and the outcome would be a = 0.

JWinslow23

May 27, 2016, 01:47:32 am #70 Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 01:49:05 am by JWinslow23
Quote from: PT_ on May 26, 2016, 07:12:16 am
My answer to all of you is no ;) For Cumred and Ivoah: what if A=1 and B=2? Xor would give 3 which is false. Mateo: A and B was only as an example, it can be any variable I (the user) want. It is useful though in some cases.

Well, then can't you just turn each input into a 1 or 0 and do it like that? Like (pseudocode):
Is A != 0?
If so, then load A with 1
Is B != 0?
If so, then load B with 1
Load (HL) with (A xor B)
Return (HL)

MateoConLechuga

Quote from: PT_ on May 26, 2016, 07:12:16 am

Well, fine, the best I can save is just 1 byte then :P

ld a, (varA)
sub a,1
sbc a,a
ld b,a
ld a, (varB)
add a,-1
sbc a,a
xor a,b
inc a

Snektron

I think you can save another one by replacing add a, -1 with dec a ;)
Unless that add is intended to set the carry flag at the same time which it probably is

PT_

I'm very happy to say that parsing a mathematical expression is almost done! :)
It now 'chains' operators, i.e. A*B+3, instead of the seperate routines for A*B and A+3 for example. Out of the 14 booleans/operators (+ - * / or xor and -> => <= > < = !=) I've finished 10. I only need >= <= > < to do, and after that, I'm ready with parsing such string (yet without functions). I haven't implemented auto-opt yet, but I will definitely do. Here is an example of what it can do:
String = A+4*B/(1-C)+3
Output = ld a, ($D05301)    ; B
add a, a
add a, a
push af
ld a, 1
ld hl, $D05302  ; C
sub a, (hl)
pop hl
ld l, 1
mlt hl
call _DivHLByA
ld a, l
ld hl, $D05300     ; A
add a, (hl)
add a, 3
ret
The only good optimization I see is replacing the "push af" with "ld h, a" and remove the "pop hl".

MateoConLechuga

May 28, 2016, 09:11:27 pm #74 Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:15:29 pm by MateoConLechuga
Quote from: PT_ on May 28, 2016, 08:29:16 am
I'm very happy to say that parsing a mathematical expression is almost done! :)
It now 'chains' operators, i.e. A*B+3, instead of the seperate routines for A*B and A+3 for example. Out of the 14 booleans/operators (+ - * / or xor and -> => <= > < = !=) I've finished 10. I only need >= <= > < to do, and after that, I'm ready with parsing such string (yet without functions). I haven't implemented auto-opt yet, but I will definitely do. Here is an example of what it can do:
String = A+4*B/(1-C)+3
Output = ld a, ($D05301)    ; B
add a, a
add a, a
push af
ld a, 1
ld hl, $D05302  ; C
sub a, (hl)
pop hl
ld l, 1
mlt hl
call _DivHLByA
ld a, l
ld hl, $D05300     ; A
add a, (hl)
add a, 3
ret
The only good optimization I see is replacing the "push af" with "ld h, a" and remove the "pop hl".

ld ix,$D05300
ld a,(ix+1)    ; B
add a, a
add a, a
sbc hl,hl
ld l,a
ld a,1
sub a,(ix+2) ; C
call _Div16By8 ; this changed names in the latest equate file
ld a, l
add a,(ix) ; A
add a,3
ret

Optimized by using an offset pointer sort of like a stack frame used in C. Probably not applicable, but meh, it's an idea.