The shoutbox is currently out of service. Join us on Discord instead.

Anyone interested for another CW challenge? (Contest 3 ideas walriistorming)

Started by caleb1997, February 17, 2016, 01:33:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

caleb1997

Over at Cemetech, they are doing small contests based on replacing built-in calculator functions. The one that they are doing right now involves SortA( and SortD(. The trick is to create a program that can sort a list of 256 items without using those two commands. Why don't we do something like that? My vote would be going for doing the mean (average) of a list, without using the built-in command to do it. What do you people think? Should we do something like this?

Rewards could be given out as userbar sigs.

aeTIos

That kind of feels like stealing ideas. Code golfing would be cool though, but I'd like a restriction on the language; not only for fairness but also to make people familiar with new languages :D
ceci n'est pas une signature

caleb1997

Ok then. Let's do code golfing. Perhaps a challenge every week or so?

Any ideas on what challenge #1 should be?

aeTIos

Make a program that converts any binary string to a hexadecimal string and print it on the screen. The binary string can be in any form: a matrix, a string, or anything else that can store something binary. The binary string should be taken in via ANS.
Categories are size and speed, language is TI-Basic. Deadline is next week on wednesday, 23:59:59 UTC ( that is, the night between wednesday and thursday)
Deadline in other time zones:
CET: 00:59:59, thursday.
EST: 17:59:59, wednesday.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Snektron

February 17, 2016, 02:27:52 pm #4 Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 02:34:19 pm by Cumred_Snektron
Quote from: caleb1997 on February 17, 2016, 01:33:31 pm
Over at Cemetech, they are doing small contests based on replacing built-in calculator functions. The one that they are doing right now involves SortA( and SortD(. The trick is to create a program that can sort a list of 256 items without using those two commands. Why don't we do something like that? My vote would be going for doing the mean (average) of a list, without using the built-in command to do it. What do you people think? Should we do something like this?

Rewards could be given out as userbar sigs.


Seems like a cool plan, but the last codegolfs we had always died out after a few weeks
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...


aeTIos

Eventually we'll have a code golf reboot reboot reboot reboot reboot reboot reboot.
ceci n'est pas une signature

DJ Omnimaga

My opinion is that the TI community has been oversaturated with mini-contests oriented towards code-golf lately. I don't think restarting a 3rd Code Golf reboot or CWick Contests now would be very successful, so it would definitively have to be something different.

One idea I had for CW was a contest where we take one of my old BASIC game code, then people optimize its programs, one by one. It wouldn't necessarily be a contest per-SE, but it might still be fun. Or we could have RPG-oriented contests where people create the best possible lightning magic animation they can, or other spells.

aeTIos

You're right, there are too many contests. It would be cool if we had a thing where we can work 'interactively' on projects, eg with those type together things online.
ceci n'est pas une signature

caleb1997

Quote from: aeTIos on February 17, 2016, 06:26:59 pm
You're right, there are too many contests. It would be cool if we had a thing where we can work 'interactively' on projects, eg with those type together things online.


Google Docs lets up to 8 people work on the same document at the same time.

DJ Omnimaga

If it happens on Google doc or some online program editor (maybe the C editor on TI-Planet for TI-84+CE games?), then it would be nice to cross-post updates here, though, for more visibility.

c4ooo

Hey hey hey dont pull hte carpet from under me :P
* c4ooo runs

Pimath said he had considered a reboot reboot, but no solid plans.
A thing ime considering is making a mega copy & paste of all the code golfs in one topic, and allowing people to submit entries for past challenges.

DJ Omnimaga

Yeah I was just pointing out, in case you guys wonder why a reboot of the reboot isn't as successful. Right now Omni has a bit more activity than last Summer from what I could gather, but it depends if people got bored of Code Golf contests or not. And in CW case a lot of CW users participated to Code Golf. And I see. that could be an idea. It's always better to try new stuff sometimes.

Araidia

Maybe some sort of non-walrii pixel art contest?

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

caleb1997

That is possible... But I don't have anything to create or modify images with.

Araidia

Quote from: caleb1997 on February 18, 2016, 02:16:57 pm
That is possible... But I don't have anything to create or modify images with.

You can try Piskel

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Powered by EzPortal