The shoutbox is currently out of service. Join us on Discord instead.
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

The calculator of your dreams (or your fears)

Started by DJ Omnimaga, October 30, 2015, 02:57:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

123outerme

My dream calc would be a TI-84+CSE, but with a processor faster than the CE, more memory, less memory restraints with ASM, and an OS akin to Doors CSE, but with a menu option for calculations. So basically a gaming calculator O.O

DJ Omnimaga

Yeah I agree that calcs don't need to be fancy. It's a calculator, after all.

The problem with current graphing calcs is not that they're underpowered. It's that they're way overpriced for their technical specs. Seriously, charging $90 for a 6 MHz 24 KB RAM 160 KB Flash computer-ish device is just ridiculous.

THe only worry I have with a monochrome screen @DarkestEx is that without a backlight it's hard to see the screen and we can't use it when it's dark. Hence my backlit screen suggestion. The backlight could be turned ON/OFF in options or with a button.

aeTIos

Quote from: 123outerme on March 04, 2016, 11:16:39 pm
My dream calc would be a TI-84+CSE, but with a processor faster than the CE, more memory, less memory restraints with ASM, and an OS akin to Doors CSE, but with a menu option for calculations. So basically a gaming calculator O.O

Did you just describe a very fancy gameboy with a calculation function?
ceci n'est pas une signature

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 04, 2016, 11:18:40 pm
Yeah I agree that calcs don't need to be fancy. It's a calculator, after all.

The problem with current graphing calcs is not that they're underpowered. It's that they're way overpriced for their technical specs. Seriously, charging $90 for a 6 MHz 24 KB RAM 160 KB Flash computer-ish device is just ridiculous.

THe only worry I have with a monochrome screen @DarkestEx is that without a backlight it's hard to see the screen and we can't use it when it's dark. Hence my backlit screen suggestion. The backlight could be turned ON/OFF in options or with a button.

Sure backlight would be no problem.