Alternatively, join us on Discord!

+-Recent Topics

Wal-Rush! for the Atari 2600! [Atari 2600]

Started by JWinslow23, January 25, 2016, 08:25:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Araidia

Nice work on the game!
But that jumping sound of the walrus in the video almost gave me a heart attack because I wasn't expecting it :w00t:

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

DJ Omnimaga

Quote from: utz on February 03, 2016, 05:45:13 pm
So great to see someone from this community fiddle which such ancient hardware. Massive props!
Just gave the beta a quick try in Stella. Plays smooth, but yeah it could do with a little speedup over time ;)
Yeah I agree. I need to give it a try myself at some point or at least trying making ROM hacks. :)

Quote from: Araidia on February 04, 2016, 12:58:24 am
Nice work on the game!
But that jumping sound of the walrus in the video almost gave me a heart attack because I wasn't expecting it :w00t:
This is why there should probably be some simple music loop at the beginning. :P But again most Atari games have the same problem and some have sound that is particularly loud. For example, when I play SNES games on my CRT TV I have to put the volume at 10 (out of 30), yet with Atari games 3 is extremely loud. :P

utz

The problem is that BATARI's built-in music editor is super inefficient in terms of data size. But then again JWinslow23 said he has >2K free, so it should be possible to whip up a little diddle.


DJ Omnimaga

Quote from: utz on February 04, 2016, 12:42:32 pm
The problem is that BATARI's built-in music editor is super inefficient in terms of data size. But then again JWinslow23 said he has >2K free, so it should be possible to whip up a little diddle.
How much space does each note take? If we use the beep background track from Ancient Kingdom of Omnimaga, then it's 128 notes long.

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 05, 2016, 02:59:55 am
Quote from: utz on February 04, 2016, 12:42:32 pm
The problem is that BATARI's built-in music editor is super inefficient in terms of data size. But then again JWinslow23 said he has >2K free, so it should be possible to whip up a little diddle.
How much space does each note take? If we use the beep background track from Ancient Kingdom of Omnimaga, then it's 128 notes long.

In my engine I have right now, then it takes 4 bytes per note per channel (one for volume, one for channel distortion, and one for frequency). So if what you're saying is correct, then it'd be 512 bytes for the song (or something way larger if I decide to add, say, drums, or a harmony, to the second channel). If that's too much space, or if I'm too lazy to sequence it all :P , I'll figure something out.

DJ Omnimaga

Not sure if drums are really a good idea lol. You could always just add a drum pattern that never changes to save space, but would it cause the other sounds to cut off?

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 05, 2016, 07:20:27 am
Not sure if drums are really a good idea lol. You could always just add a drum pattern that never changes to save space, but would it cause the other sounds to cut off?

There are two channels of sound that can be played simultaneously. I'm sure that won't be a problem.

DJ Omnimaga

Oh, I thought those required a special chip to be put in cartridges if you put the game on a real cart. ??? (like with Pitfall II)

JWinslow23

February 05, 2016, 08:35:45 am #39 Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:47:14 am by JWinslow23
No, it has two audio channels natively. I can't think of many examples, but in River Raid, it is possible to have the airplane (?) audio and the missile audio playing at the same time, and this required no special audio chip. I know that it is completely possible in my game as well to have the flap sound and collectible sound playing at the same time (I placed them on different channels).

If anyone wants to have a look-see at a potential piece of music for next release, here you go.

EDIT: Updated music.

DJ Omnimaga

Omg that sounds better than expected :D. I wonder if you would be able to fit in the other half of the chorus?

And yeeah I guessed that only 1 chan was available based on Custer's Revenge, Indiana Jones, Battlezone and stuff like that :P

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 05, 2016, 08:36:32 am
Omg that sounds better than expected :D. I wonder if you would be able to fit in the other half of the chorus?

And yeeah I guessed that only 1 chan was available based on Custer's Revenge, Indiana Jones, Battlezone and stuff like that :P

Thank you so much :) And other half? To be honest I never listened to the original in full, only the Happy Hardcore version :P . I think I'd be able to fit it in, but I need to listen to it first :P

DJ Omnimaga

YEah the chorus is actually longer than in your video, but you posted a longer video with the full chorus on IRC earlier so that's good. By the way it sounded cool except for a note that seemed off, but I assume it's due to Atari limitations. Anyway for people who don't have IRC I recommend posting progress in the topic if possible. Here's the video for people who didn't see it:

https://vid.me/lojq

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 06, 2016, 07:02:30 am
YEah the chorus is actually longer than in your video, but you posted a longer video with the full chorus on IRC earlier so that's good. By the way it sounded cool except for a note that seemed off, but I assume it's due to Atari limitations. Anyway for people who don't have IRC I recommend posting progress in the topic if possible. Here's the video for people who didn't see it:

https://vid.me/lojq

I actually edited the link above. I even said "EDIT: Updated music." :P

DJ Omnimaga

True but it's bettee to bump the topic when there is an update made hours after replies :P Else we won't notice nor get notified.

Powered by EzPortal