Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

How to add programs to Windows 10 start menu without having to re-install

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, August 10, 2017, 09:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Is there an easy way to add programs to Windows 10 start menu manually, as in without having to install nor uninstall->install again said program? If you try to drag and drop shortcuts manually in the Start folder it gives an error saying you are not allowed to do that.

What I am trying to do right now is fixing my Starcraft shortcut, because it points to the old installed copy I got (which I installed in C:\\Starcraft\ by accident in 2010) instead of the 2017 install. Windows 7 or below allowed me to just drag and drop any shortcut to the Start menu, but in Windows 10 they desactivated or removed that feature entirely.

Note that I do not want to put the programs to the pinned apps list on the side of the menu. I just want them in the classic start menu list like other programs. This is why I am asking here, because on Google the only results explained how to pin apps to the grid rather than adding shortcuts to the start menu.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

You could use ClassicShell but i'm not too sure...
Honestly, i did not use Windows 10 very much.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

TheLastMillennial

I don't know that I'm understanding your question correctly, but here's my 2 cents.
If you mean you just want to pin a game shortcut to the Start Menu, just right-click the shortcut then click, 'Pin to Start'

Also, why don't you just delete the old shortcut and make a new one pointing to the new starcraft, or use Steam?
  • Calculators owned: HP Prime G2, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-34, Boring Sharp calculator

Thank you for your time, go make a paradox, have a good day.

Dream of Omnimaga

You can delete shortcuts but not add them. A permission error will occur, even as administrator.

And pinning doesn't add to the start menu programs list, it adds to the extra section to the right.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

TheLastMillennial

oh! so you want to pin the shortcuts to the 'all programs' list!
Yeah, there's no easy way to do this, however if you use this shortcut frequently, it'll show up in the 'most used' section at the top. Other than that, there's no way to get apps at the top.

Why don't you want to use the Start Menu? Is it getting to cluttered?

New pro tip if this is the case: ;)

To clear some space on the Start menu, group your app tiles into folders by grabbing and dropping a tile on top of another tile.

EDIT: You can always request a feature to pin apps to the 'all programs' list with the feedback app.

Dream of Omnimaga

The first Windows I used is 95, which only had the leftmost program list. This is what I got used to during my childhood and early adulthood. I do not like changes and thus, when I switched to XP, Seven and 10 I changed my settings to ensure that the Start menu looks as close as possible to Windows 95 (eg switching to classic layout, resizing it to get rid of the pinned apps section entirely, etc).

c4ooo

You should try using classic shell, although I am not sure if classic shell also makes the start menu "classic".

gameblabla

Quote from: c4ooo on August 13, 2017, 07:52:41 PM
You should try using classic shell, although I am not sure if classic shell also makes the start menu "classic".
Last time i tried, it did have such a thing.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

c4ooo

Quote from: gameblabla on August 13, 2017, 08:53:19 PM
Quote from: c4ooo on August 13, 2017, 07:52:41 PM
Last time i tried, it did have such a thing.
Hmm OK. I have never used micro$hit $hitdowns 10, but soon will have to :(

MateoConLechuga

Right click -> Pin to Start

I'm not sure what is complex about that?

Dream of Omnimaga

TheLastMillennial

Quote from: MateoConLechuga on August 13, 2017, 11:26:36 PM

@MateoConLechuga (do I need this here if I quoted him?)
He wants it in the 'all programs' list, not the start menu.

c4ooo

Quote from: TheLastMillennial on August 14, 2017, 08:52:50 PM
Quote from: MateoConLechuga on August 13, 2017, 11:26:36 PM

@MateoConLechuga (do I need this here if I quoted him?)
He wants it in the 'all programs' list, not the start menu.
Wait what? I haven't heard of the "all programs" list since windows xp???