* WalrusIRC

You need to have 5 posts and not be part of restricted usergroups in order to use the WalrusIRC embedded shoutbox. However, you can also access our IRC channel called #CodeWalrus via EFnet.

Author Topic: Worldwide Combos  (Read 282 times)

Offline noelnadal

• Full User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +0/-0
Worldwide Combos
« on: July 03, 2017, 02:15:10 pm »
Hi!

So yeah, basically, I made a game that I called "Worldwide Combos". I chose that name because it sounds similar to "4-wide combos".   ;D
Actually, this is very similar to games such as Tetris Battle®. Yet, I would like this plate-form to provide some competitive aspects that most existing similar games do not have.

The game is to be played with your browser. It should work at least on Safari, Firefox and Google Chrome (haven't checked all existing browsers). It was mainly made with jQuery client side, and with Node.js server side.

Here is a little preview.

Features

For now, it only supports 1 versus 1 games. Yet, if you don't have anybody to play with, you can play the "solo" mode which is actually a 1 versus 1 mode using asynchronous gaming (yes, I had a lot of fun making this).

The multiplayer games are made through a matchmaking system, that matches you to another waiting player according to your multiplayer ratings (there is a solo rating as well). There is a spectator mode, even though I am not 100% sure it works well...   :P

There are two handicap types : solid garbage (for both modes), and garbage with holes (for the multiplayer mode only).

You may also customize the speed tunings, as well as the keys, and the time limit, and the KO limit. There is no "hurry up" mode either right now.

Upcoming features

I will probably try to make a better design, but for now it's not so ugly to my opinion.
There are many things I want to add, including an "interactive" tutorial for beginners, as well as an in-game chat system. I also want to let players schedule a match in advance, if they wish to.

I also want to make this plateform competitive, with an integrated tournament system.

Known issues

There are a lot of security issues right now, and I know it. I will fix them little by little.
Also, be careful not to press Enter while customizing options, as it might reload the game.

Hope you will like it, I had a lot fun making this, despite several (very) fustrating bugs. It is my first Node.js application, and I am quite satisfied by the result, that's why I am posting it now. Actually, I always wait until my projects are consistent before talking about them, because I am never 100% whether I will be able to do something that works or not.   :P

If you have comments or suggestions to make, feel free.
Thank you for reading!  :thumbsup:

Noël.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:40:32 pm by noelnadal »

Online 123outerme

• Super User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +5/-0
  • Professional Unpaid Intern
    • 113/11355
Re: Worldwide Combos
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 05:58:43 pm »
Looks like a lot of fun! I played a little singleplayer and I can tell, if I'm bored and want some competitive Tetris, I know where I'll go!
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Offline noelnadal

• Full User
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 06:12:27 pm »
Thanks for such a feedback!  :D
Don't hesitate to make an account, as it will let you know the latest news about the game, by e-mail.

Offline noelnadal

• Full User
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 01:42:19 pm »
So, Worldwide Combos 0.2 was released yesterday evening. A second handicap type has appeared (garbage with holes), only for multiplayer mode.

Have fun! And many thanks to those whom I got feedback from so far.  :D

@c4ooo: due to the technical issue I couldn't see your reply, what was it?  ;D

Online c4ooo

• Super User
  • CW Contest II Winner
  • Post Rating Ratio: +12/-4
  • Advanced forumer
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 02:04:23 pm »
Well. It was something about how i dont get why/when do the black boxes at the bottom of your play area go up/down? Its if someone clears a row, their black boxes go down and the opponent's black boxes go up, right?

Offline noelnadal

• Full User
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 02:09:20 pm »
Concerning the "solid" garbage, when you send lines the following happens.

1) If there are "pending lines" (the stuff in red on the right), then this number of lines is reduced by the number of lines sent.
2) If there are garbage lines on your side, then the number of garbage lines is reduced by the number of lines that could still be sent.
3) If there are still lines that you haven't sent yet, then these lines are sent to the opponent.

Garbage with holes is a little bit different, as sending lines doesn't remove your own garbage: you have to clear it by yourself, which is way more fun as it involves some more strategy.  ;D

Offline noelnadal

• Full User
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 12:13:19 am »
You can now play Worldwide Combos 0.3, with a brand new design. The game in itself hasn't changed much, but modifications are made little by little.

If you are a beginner, you may now follow the tutorial that was made for you. If you already have an account, you can find it in Training.

There a some bugs that were found in the solo mode, and I am sorry for that. This will be fixed as soon as possible!

Have fun. :)

You can also use the following HTML or bulletin board code to share it on your page or forum signature!

Also do not forget to check our affiliates below.
Planet Casio TI-Planet Calc.news BroniesQC BosaikNet Velocity Games