Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

The ability to downvote and upvote IRC messages from WalrusIRC

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, March 02, 2016, 01:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

I think it would be good if WalrusIRC had the ability to downvote specific lines of text like we can do with posts, but like the forums, only 1 line every 8 hour could be downvoted.

The reason why I am suggesting this is because I have the impression that the lack of downvoting could be used as a tactic to start drama on IRC and get away with it and some people seems to insist on discussing politics and other controversial stuff on IRC and refuse to move the discussion to forums. The same problem happened on Omnimaga back when the spam section did not have downvotes (it stopped immediately after downvoting was enabled there). How it could work is that it could check if the user has 20 posts on CW, and if that's the case, then when hovering on specific lines of text, it would show a flag as abusive icon. I don't know if likes should be supported, since people might just upvote funny memes and :walrii: posts. The icons would disappear until the next 8 hours afterwards. The only problem is that since the text is so small, then this could cause risks of accidentally downvoting the wrong line of text, though.

Also it might be hard to implement for IRC users, but I guess if notifications were enabled or that the downvotes were listed, then at least moderators would know. Or maybe downvoting could actually also send a copy of the 50 lines of text before the flagged line and the 10 after via PM to admins.

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Interesting. Sounds like it might be helpful, but as you mentioned, definitely has its cons.

As for likes, everyone would only like either funny things posted, or :walrii: related stuff, so I think it's pretty much useless.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah the main use would be to discourage some of the trolling (the rule-breaking stuff). Downvoting on Omni in the past always seemed to reduce risks of banning since people did not want to get negative rating ratios and look like troublemakers. Without downvoting, we have to go straight for official warnings and since they work like baseball strikes, then after three strikes the person is kicked out (temporarily of course, unless he was banned multiple times before). Also this allows other members to judge if the post is innapropriate as well, rather than just moderators, so it's more democratic.

Otherwise the other solution could be the nDoom policy but that is something we would rather avoid except in extreme emergency situations where the future CW is being threatened.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

pimathbrainiac

My two cents: I don't think up/down-voting should be available on IRC if one can just up/down-vote someone without context. I propose, if there is any karma tracking, that each up/down-vote be tied to a message and only one up/down-vote be allowed per voter per message, the same way it works on the forums.

As for syntax, I have an idea. I can spin up a quick IRC bot to test and once I do, explain the syntax, if you guys would like.

EDIT: The proposed syntax would be ([name]++ [message number]) | ([name]-- [message number])
[message number] refers how many messages the person upon whose messages are being voted sent since the voted message. If left blank, it would assume 0
example:

<pimath> | Pizza is the best food ever
<randomPizza> | pimath++ 0
<pimath> | wow thanks
<randomTaco> | pimath-- 1
<randomTaco> | wrong tacos are the best
<randomPizza> | randomTaco--

Obviously this scenario is a bit contrived, but it gets the point across. "Pizza is the best food ever" gets upvoted and then downvoted, for a net change of zero. "wrong tacos are the best" gets downvoted for a net change of negative one.
Well, I'm bach here too!

Yuki

Well, a simple karma bot like on Cemetech would work. If needed, that bot could simply log the timestamp it was given so one can easily check the logs. No need to be really fancy.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

It would be nice if we could make it only work from WalrusIRC for 20-post users, though, for better quality control, and if Karma is given to an actual forum member it would also update his karma on the forums. But also it would be nice if it only allowed 1 vote every 8 hour, like the forum current setup.
Quote from: pimathbrainiac on March 02, 2016, 03:36:38 AM
My two cents: I don't think up/down-voting should be available on IRC if one can just up/down-vote someone without context. I propose, if there is any karma tracking, that each up/down-vote be tied to a message and only one up/down-vote be allowed per voter per message, the same way it works on the forums.
Yeah that was my idea, hence why I am not a fan of the Cemetech bot idea. Cemetech bot is merely for entertainment and to see what is the most popular/liked, not to see who behaves the most nor who is the most constructive/helpful.

An idea I have too is if Juju could make WalrusIRC messages so that the timestamp is a clickable link that includes the message ID number since CW creation. We could link directly to that message in the logs, but also we could at least know each message ID just do !flag <msgID> or !like <msgID> and then karma would appear besides the message.