Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Wait... what now TI: TI-82 Advanced? O.O

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, February 01, 2015, 04:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Holy motherwalrifying walrianne, TI!

http://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=15975&lang=en

O.O

So yeah, apparently there will be a TI-82 Advanced in France, featuring an exam LED. Probably due to 2018 France regulations? But anyway, if this calc ends up being a TI-84+, then I don't know what to expect anymore about future French TI calculator name.

I think the TI-81 Premium Plus Silver Stats Titanium.Fr is not far ahead now...
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Advanced? Did they add two finger triggers and switched for a 32bit cpu? :p

Seriously, is the 2018 regulation a thing? F*ck, Casio is screwed there if so...
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

novenary

Ikr. TI is screwing up their model names and the new exam mode regulation is bullc. <_<

Dream of Omnimaga

Indeed. I don't know, but if that new exam BS for 2018 in France goes through, then I think it won't be long before France bans every calc from tests, if not school as a whole, after 2018.

Also another issue is even if they don't ban calcs entirely, then it leaves the door open to restricting exams to just 1 calc model.

The good news is that the TI-84+CE has an exam DEL, so at least TI isn't trying to get schools to stick only to the TI-Nspire. Back in the days we feared that.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

critor

And today, a TI-82 Advanced DVT prototype review :
https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16297&p=180117#p180117

Fellow calculator programmers, imagine your worst nightmare...
The TI-82 Advanced is going to make it true ! :P

Apps handling has been removed... apps are now hard-coded within the OS.
The Asm( command was removed too.

It seems TI did like what Casio did with the fx-CP400...

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Eyup, things are going ugly for us, coders. Does it seems like Ti is dropping Asm for 8x calcs? Not at this time as we still can on most of the calcs we can buy but welp...
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Wow TI, really? They're locking down Z80 calcs too?

Unless it's to give people incentive to pay more and go with the CE instead. But I hope it's not in response to the hacking of the CE discussions going on.

That said, TI better not step on our toes and should leave the CE alone. Else I wonder if we could get some sort of mass petition launched?

Unicorn

• Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 06, 2015, 08:03:05 PM
Wow TI, really? They're locking down Z80 calcs too?

Unless it's to give people incentive to pay more and go with the CE instead. But I hope it's not in response to the hacking of the CE discussions going on.

That said, TI better not step on our toes and should leave the CE alone. Else I wonder if we could get some sort of mass petition launched?
Petitions sound good. But what effect would they have on Ti they would see it as opening up the door for cheating <_<
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

It depends. If the petition is spread outside the TI community and the hacker community learns of a company trying to prevent third-party development on a platform the same way Apple and Sony did in the past, it could generate public outcry on the Internet, especially considering many people in the past used various third-party APPs like Symbolic.

But first we will have to investigate about when this calc and the official locked down OSes have entered into production and if they were developed by the same team that developed the TI-84+CE. If the TI-82 Advanced was created before the TI-84+CE, then it's possible that TI just wanted to make the calc have fewer feature to make Asm and Flash apps look more like a premium feature only available on high-end TI-84+ family models like the CE. After all, the TI-82 Advanced price is quite lower than the TI-84 Plus CE.

On the other hand, if the TI-82 Advanced was created after the CE, then I'm afraid it's only a matter of time before TI releases a new CE OS that removes ASM support. I'm hoping that the lack of ASM on the TI-82 Advanced is just a TI-83 Premium CE marketing tactic to be used via future calculator comparison charts or just a prototype-specific lockdown.

EDIT: Could it also be due to the 2018 exam changes in France? Maybe that's only gonna be a French thing? But then that could mean the TI-83 Premium CE will be locked down too if that's the case, unless the TI-82 Advanced hardware is just easier to hack and TI had no choice to remove ASM support altogether?

Has anyone tried the Send(9 syntax as replacement to the Asm( command?

Adriweb

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 06, 2015, 09:32:33 PMEDIT: Could it also be due to the 2018 exam changes in France? Maybe that's only gonna be a French thing? But then that could mean the TI-83 Premium CE will be locked down too if that's the case, unless the TI-82 Advanced hardware is just easier to hack and TI had no choice to remove ASM support altogether?
That's pretty much the assumption right now, and it makes perfect sense.

In France, people will have to buy new calculator now, because of the exams requiring the PTT mode with the LED. So, they want to spend as little as possible: The low-tier 82A will be perfect for 99% of students, because well, an overwhelming majority of student don't give a single d*mn about programmability (they don't know about it, and they simply don't care at all - this was already the case when I was in high school 7+ years ago, and it's only worse now, since smartphones are everyone's way to spend time). But for the few that will look at the store's other calcs for more than 30 seconds, and with something else than just the cost in mind, the 83PCE will clearly appear as way superior, and for less than 30euro more (assuming the 82A is at 60euro and the 83PCE a bit less than 90euro). So, the 83PCE is the middle tier. And the high-tier is the Nspire CX (CAS), which will probably still be priced at ≈ 120/130euro.
Interestingly enough, because of this new exam regulation in France, the 3 major calculator makers are in a harsh competition that can only be won by the one selling the regulation-allowed one at the lowest cost. TI will win if the 82A is priced at 60euro and the Casio ones a bit higher. HP having only the HP Prime, and costing much more, has no way of taking over the market. It'd be funny to have the Prime be sold at 59.99, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah HP and Casio really need to get their act together about calculator pricing outside United States. In Canada, Casio prices are fine and I'm surprised they're not higher, but HP prices were atrocious not so long ago and in Europe it's just insane compared to TI prices.

That said, if TI really has plans to remove the Asm() and Flash app functionalities in future TI-83PCE OS updates, then I think I'm gonna stick to the TI-84+CE.

Adriweb

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 07, 2015, 02:51:53 AMThat said, if TI really has plans to remove the Asm() and Flash app functionalities in future TI-83PCE OS updates, then I think I'm gonna stick to the TI-84+CE
I don't see that happening, and I'd hate to be proven wrong.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

CKH4

I saw this on cemetech and to me it looks like what I'd imagine a ti 84 titanium would be. If it kept at least partial compatability with ti 84 ( /whatever France model = ) I'd be very surprised but I'm glad that ti is finally making a cheap calc.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Adriweb on April 07, 2015, 03:18:49 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 07, 2015, 02:51:53 AMThat said, if TI really has plans to remove the Asm() and Flash app functionalities in future TI-83PCE OS updates, then I think I'm gonna stick to the TI-84+CE
I don't see that happening, and I'd hate to be proven wrong.
Yeah I seriously hope that they don't go that far. What I was worried about is if they saw the Cemetech hacking thread (and possibly CW discussion if they know this forum exists yet) then decided to go all out mad rage mode against the TI community. I'm definitively hoping it's just a marketing ploy being planned to boast about the CE capabilities. Besides, they have some bugs to fix before they can think about adding/removing features, IMHO, especially that one bug that can crash the calc.
Quote from: CKH4 on April 07, 2015, 03:35:19 AM
I saw this on cemetech and to me it looks like what I'd imagine a ti 84 titanium would be. If it kept at least partial compatability with ti 84 ( /whatever France model = ) I'd be very surprised but I'm glad that ti is finally making a cheap calc.
They had cheaper models in the past actually. In USA, there was the TI-73 family, then years later in France, there was the TI-82 Stats.Fr (which was a TI-83 with newer modified hardware and a French ROM) and the even cheaper TI-76.Fr, removing functionalities. Maybe the TI-82 Advance is targeting schools that used the TI-76.Fr?