Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

I'm looking for this rare game...

Started by gameblabla, August 13, 2016, 08:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameblabla

Have you seen this game in the wild ?

Or how about this one :

Or even this one :

If so, then GRAB IT NOW !

This game was released by City Interactive in March 2012 and it is ultra-RARE !
Online, only 3 PS3 US copies were sold since the release.
That's insane, not even Class of Heroes 2G PS3 is this bad !

I made a blog post about it here that explains it in depth :
https://blog.gameblabla.nl/combat-wings-the-great-battles-of-wwii-where-the-hell-are-you/

Note that the Japanese version by Cyber Front, while quite expensive, is much more common than the US and PAL versions.

Does anyone here have copy ? Do you know even someone who owns it ?
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

I don't but I was shocked when I saw the prices on Pricecharting.

Other worthy mentions are Devil's Third for Wii U, NBA Elite 11 for PS3 and the NTSC version of FIFA 14 for PS2. In Brazil if you're lucky to find a seller that don't sell counterfeit games then you might be able to get NTSC FIFA 14 PS2 for much cheaper, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

So i discovered that game was re-released digitally on XBLA, Playstation Store and Steam as Dogfight 1942 !
But what about the physical copies of Combat Wings : The Great Battles of WW2 ?
This is where it gets interesting...
I think it hapenned like NBA Elite 11 :
City Interactive decided to recall all physical copies shortly after the release and only a few copies
made it to stores. (PS3 versions only apparently, like NBA Elite 11 ha)
Then they made the decision to rebrand the game and release it only digitally.
As far Japan is concerned, it was edited by Cyber Front anyway and it is the only physical copy of this game other than
the few american copies of Combat Wings.

So it is possible that the few copies that made it out were actually supposed to be destroyed or recalled...
Hope they took good care of those copies...

Made follow-up to my initial blogspot here :
https://blog.gameblabla.nl/combat-wings-the-great-battles-of-wwii-where-the-hell-are-you-2/

QuoteOther worthy mentions are Devil's Third for Wii U, NBA Elite 11 for PS3 and the NTSC version of FIFA 14 for PS2. In Brazil if you're lucky to find a seller that don't sell counterfeit games then you might be able to get NTSC FIFA 14 PS2 for much cheaper, though.
Yeah, NBA Elite 11 is the holy grail for PS3 collectors.
Devil's Third used to be rare (only 100 copies were shipped to Gamestop for the US alone) but now, Nintendo produced more copies.
I bet in some years later, it will be worth more money though. (too bad it's going to be taken offline in late 2016)

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I didn't know Devil Third was reprinted. Nintendo doesn't like us much when it comes to offering us games in North America. They think we won't buy anything other than Mario. So instead of printing games in reasonable quantities, they prefer sending DMCA takedown notices.

As for the recalled PS3 games I bet it was due to horrible quality and they renamed the combat wings game to salvage its reputation. Kinda like if they had fixed Big Rigs. They would have needed to rerelease it under a new name

Also i didn't know about being taken offline. Is it official?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 14, 2016, 12:10:17 AM
Also i didn't know about being taken offline. Is it official?
Yeah, definitively :
https://mynintendonews.com/2016/06/23/devils-third-wii-u-online-multiplayer-closing-december-28/
They are going to shutdown the online portion less than a year after the North American release !

QuoteOh I didn't know Devil Third was reprinted.
Yeah, it seems so, you can grab a brand new copy for 60 bucks :
https://www.amazon.com/Devils-Third-Wii-U-Standard/dp/B00KWIYS3K/ref=sr_1_1/159-3521305-0566441?ie=UTF8&qid=1471133750&sr=8-1&keywords=Devil%27s+Third
Still, it's rumored to have sold really bad in North America, less than 3000 copies.
If you really want it, i suggest you grab it before the prices go up.

As for Combat Wings, i really don't know what happened to the 3 copies.
I know one youtuber that owns it though but he's longer active on youtube...
I'm trying to bug people as much as i can.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I see. To be honest, though, many console multiplayer games die off quickly like this, unless they're big classics like Halo, Forza Motorsports, Super SMash Bros or the like. At least the game will still be available for sale, but it kinda sucks that they're not letting the server open as long as Wii U has online capabilities (on Xbox Live all games can still be played live no matter how old they are, unless they use their own servers)

And yeah it really sold badly in NA because there was no advertising about it and less than 1000 copies were printed at first.

On a side note, the price of certain rare SNES games have stabilized. For example Demon's Crest have been hovering between $95 and $115 USD for two years. Bomberman 64: The Second Attack also remained stable for the last year or so, and you can get a loose cartridge copy for only $150 USD.

GalacticPirate

Talking about online shutdown, I just want to say that the Nintendo WFC shutdown because of being old is a myth :walrii: The real reason was that the company which hosted WFC was bought by another one, which decided to shut down all the old servers :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I know. The Wii and DS used Gamespy Arcade multiplayer services, which shut down a few years ago. Kinda like Xbox Live on the original Xbox, which shut down because that was the only way to remove the 100 friends limit on Xbox 360.

What I hope is that AT&T won't shut down their servers nor get bought by another company in the near future, because that could mean the end of Battle.net on Starcraft Brood War (the Brood War servers are hosted by AT&T)

Sometimes, though, some game publishers use their own servers for specific games. For example, I think Final Fantasy XI Online used Square-Enix servers and on the 360 they shut down last March.