Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Piworld

Started by 岩倉 澪, January 28, 2015, 08:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah I see now. I'm getting more curious with the time about how this will end up looking like really. Also have you gotten any ideas in mind for a playable character? I hope Piworld comes to fruition one day because it looks like it could be a very nice game with unique style. Just don't use those 2009 sprites that had the weird outline around them O.O (the regular 2D pixelated ones would be fine, though, if you go for a Star Ocean PS1/PSP style.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

岩倉 澪

I do have a sketch of a brand new protagonist character in my notebook along with notes on the players height, I used the sketch of the character for scale when designing how thick the tiles should be. I haven't done any more work on the character other than that yet, but I do have an idea in my mind of what I want it to look like.

For a rough idea, think of the later pokemon games

Dream of Omnimaga

Ooh those would look nice actually. The style would fit well. Otherwise another idea could be to use Charas Project and create RPG Maker VX or XP characters, but rip them for use in your game instead of an RPG Maker project :P (you wouldn't even need RPG Maker installed for that)

I think RPG Maker XP/VX chars are about 32x48 and 32x32 maximum, respectively, depending of their armors and stuff (some chars might be 24 pixels in width in XP)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

You can also look on opengameart.org if you dont want to create characters yourself :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Most of the time, OGA content won't have a constant graphical style (except things like "Asset Jesus" 's packs or OGA collaboration plans).
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah it's hit and miss. Most stuff will be great, but the problem is if you take for example a character from Final Fantasy VI, then from Lufia and Mario RPG, then your game won't look very professional with all those different-looking art. That isn't a big issue with Charas Projects but you need to add weapons yourselves if you want your character to hold them because the built-in wearable items won't fit.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

I like to check spriter-resources. I saw once a rad Mario tileset which had its own style which would have well worked instead of NSMB. Don't hesitate to try your lady luck there.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

岩倉 澪

I'll most likely be doing all the art myself, but I'm not against using other people's art (with credit) if it fits the games style and has an appropriate license, so OGA isn't out of the question

岩倉 澪

Houston, we have alpha!

Dream of Omnimaga

Do you mean Alpha as in an alpha version of the executable coming soon or Alpha transparency? Looks nice as always, by the way :)

Snektron

I think alpha transparancy since there's no download, but the image is not showing it off very well :P.
(The black is probably the BG (clearcolor), that'd make sense)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

岩倉 澪

yep, alpha transparency  :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok cool :D. Any chance that the borders might be smoothened out  around the block? It still looks nice but I was wondering at higher res if graphics are stretched.

岩倉 澪

at different aspect ratios I'll letterbox, so stretching won't happen

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I meant larger res such as 4K.