Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

pure-BASIC graphical Falldown clone for the 84+CSE

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 17, 2014, 05:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

A while ago, I was bored and made this:

It's nothing special and could maybe use some optimizing, but it's pure-BASIC and is incomplete anyway (it's not exactly like Falldown since you can't roll on platforms and stuff). It should show that contrary to popular belief, this calculator can achieve decent scrolling speed (in this case, not even a single ASM lib was used).

Since that screenshot was taken, I made it so there are two platforms at a time and they are larger, but I lost that version and it was much slower anyway, since it switched to Line() which seemed much slower with smaller platforms (really, TI?), so I am unsure if I'll keep lines or switch back to Text like in the screenshot above.

It's not meant to compete in any way against other FallDown clones but it was to show that pure-BASIC scrolling on a CSE is somewhat possible.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Nice. With that kind of gameplay it's more like Avalanche than Falldown though.

Dream of Omnimaga

True, the other version had way wider platforms, but I had switched to Line() which was even slower I think. >.< Not sure how TI managed to mess that up.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

If we take off the scrolling that makes a decent reflex game! Nice work DJ!
  • Calculators owned: A lot.