You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here. | New CodeWalrus | Old (dark mode) | Old (light) | Discord server

ninjabyte website lauched

b/[Inactive] Ninjabyte Electronics (hardware) Started by DarkestEx, October 14, 2015, 11:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

u/novenary October 19, 2015, 08:44:08 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 19, 2015, 05:44:07 AM
Now to find a way to make CW theme look decent under the Ninjabytes colors in the Microcat subforum... I think that it will just be some small changes involving mostly the green background and bars, though. It also depends if Street prefers that that sub-forum simply uses extra CSS that overrides the default, but I would prefer that he doesn't use any javascript for such thing.
Nah only a minor PHP edit is required (unless smf allows loading a stylesheet for specific subforums).
u/Dream of Omnimaga October 19, 2015, 06:01:03 PM
It does, but I'm unsure if an entire style sheet just for a sub-forum is really worth it.
u/novenary October 19, 2015, 09:00:05 PM
Oh you have to use a completely different theme ? Sucks ass.
u/DarkestEx October 19, 2015, 09:01:27 PM
Quote from: Streetwalrus on October 19, 2015, 09:00:05 PM
Oh you have to use a completely different theme ? Sucks ass.
Huh, what is going on  ???
I thought we just change some colors?

Also I added some more header images to the site. Feel free to check them out ;)
u/novenary October 19, 2015, 09:06:04 PM
I meant the SMF feature.
u/Dream of Omnimaga October 20, 2015, 03:50:46 AM
Yeah the SMF feature for custom board themes involves using a different theme for said sub-forum. I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible to set the theme to load extra CSS when accessing certain sub-forums in particular, though, and make that CSS override the standard one (via the !important command?)

Also DarkestEx I like the new images. :) Only one problem, though: Image #2 is 781 KB large and #4 is a bit over 600 KB. That could be a problem for people browsing your website using mobile data plan. Perhaps those could be compressed harder or made smaller in size?
Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 03:55:18 AM by DJ Omnimaga
u/Max Leiter October 20, 2015, 03:54:44 AM
I really like the new images, and also recommend a responsive/mobile design, as the site looks bad on phones.

Still really great work :)
u/novenary October 20, 2015, 06:43:55 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 20, 2015, 03:50:46 AM
Yeah the SMF feature for custom board themes involves using a different theme for said sub-forum. I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible to set the theme to load extra CSS when accessing certain sub-forums in particular, though, and make that CSS override the standard one (via the !important command?)
That's what. I'm suggesting in fact.
u/DarkestEx October 20, 2015, 07:32:52 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 20, 2015, 03:50:46 AM

Also DarkestEx I like the new images. :) Only one problem, though: Image #2 is 781 KB large and #4 is a bit over 600 KB. That could be a problem for people browsing your website using mobile data plan. Perhaps those could be compressed harder or made smaller in size?
Yes I think that I should compress them some more. Also I might enable gzip compression for them, but I am not sure about that, though I don't think it matters on a PC with normal internet access. Does it?

Quote from: Max Leiter on October 20, 2015, 03:54:44 AM
I really like the new images, and also recommend a responsive/mobile design, as the site looks bad on phones.

Still really great work :)
I am not sure if a mobile theme really is required as the site is generally nothing you want to view on a mobile device.
Its intended to be used on a PC, as I don't know what one would do with it on a PC.
u/novenary October 20, 2015, 09:19:16 AM
I like to browse docs and source code with my phone when I'm not home (for my random research) as I don't have a laptop.
u/DarkestEx October 20, 2015, 09:30:47 AM
Quote from: Streetwalrus
I like to browse docs and source code with my phone when I'm not home (for my random research) as I don't have a laptop.
Ah I see. Well as we will publish the API documents and the app store on that site, I guess that I will look into making a mobile version of the site.

I think that I will make it either using cookies or by user agent string via php.
This way I could also send different sized images depending on what the user wants.
Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 09:33:53 AM by DarkestEx
u/novenary October 20, 2015, 09:37:40 AM
Other advantage : Google rankings favor sites with a responsive stylesheet.
u/DarkestEx October 20, 2015, 09:45:12 AM
Quote from: Streetwalrus on October 20, 2015, 09:37:40 AM
Other advantage : Google rankings favor sites with a responsive stylesheet.

Alright good to know.
I will certainly do it using PHP now - no JavaScript for sure.
Well its good to have it in a mobile version too regarding that I am always using the WAP2 version of CodeWalrus when I am on the go (I really like the WAP2 version, but it lacks a quote function so i always have to do it using bbcode myself).
Website statistics

MyCalcs | Ticalc.org | Cemetech | Omnimaga | TI-Basic Developer | MaxCoderz | TI-Story | Casiocalc.org | Casiopeia | The Museum of HP Calculators | HPCalc.org | CnCalc.org | Music 2000 Community | TI Education | Casio Education | HP Calcs | NumWorks | SwissMicros | Sharp Calculators