You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here. | New CodeWalrus | Old (dark mode) | Old (light) | Discord server

[TI-83+/84+] Hero Core

b/Game Downloads Started by Keoni29, November 22, 2014, 11:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

u/Keoni29 January 02, 2015, 08:31:08 AM
That would be cool :) I decided to write the editor in c++ because object oriented and stuff. The editor blocks: rooms, world map and tile picker are all objects.
u/Dream of Omnimaga January 03, 2015, 08:09:00 AM
How bigs can maps be, by the way? Also do you have support for Undo (with multiple levels)? One annoyance in Mappy was the lack of an Undo feature (seriously, when even Notepad can single-level-undo and another computer editor software can't, there is a serious problem)
u/Keoni29 January 03, 2015, 08:19:24 AM
The limit is the calculator's flash memory. A world file is about w*h*88 so a 9*8 map is 6336 bytes large. Hero Core itself is about 12k at the moment. There will also be optional music files that need to fit in archive and a savefile. In the appvar the world width is specified, so arbitrary world sizes can be used.

I'd like to add an undo feature. With stacks in c++ this should be really easy to make. Every time you place a tile the coordinates and old tile id will be pushed onto the stack. To revert an action it's a matter of popping it back from the stack and placing it back in the buffer.
Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 08:31:55 AM by Keoni29
u/Dream of Omnimaga January 03, 2015, 08:23:57 AM
Aah I see. I was wondering in case I ever made a custom map one day and went a bit overboard like in Metroid II: Evolution/Last Chozo :P

u/Keoni29 January 03, 2015, 08:33:38 AM
Worlds are not interconnected areas, but a square consisting of rooms just like the original Hero Core.
u/Dream of Omnimaga January 03, 2015, 08:47:40 AM
Actually it was technically the case in Metroid II too. But when moving from one room to another, you would still see the edge of each room in the first and last row/columns of the current map, so instead of moving 12 tiles left/right it was 11 and instead of 8 tiles up/down it was 7. That was unless you went through an hatch. This is why the map above has such weird layout.
Website statistics

MyCalcs | Ticalc.org | Cemetech | Omnimaga | TI-Basic Developer | MaxCoderz | TI-Story | Casiocalc.org | Casiopeia | The Museum of HP Calculators | HPCalc.org | CnCalc.org | Music 2000 Community | TI Education | Casio Education | HP Calcs | NumWorks | SwissMicros | Sharp Calculators