You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here. | New CodeWalrus | Old (dark mode) | Old (light) | Discord server

CodeWalrus: Now with ads!

b/Website News Started by Yuki, October 07, 2016, 10:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

u/c4ooo October 16, 2016, 09:13:40 PM
Quote from: p2 on October 16, 2016, 09:11:53 PM
maybe even make it a little bit more:
people submit their own ads, people vote for their favorite member-made ad and it'll get added or something like that ^^
But then there's no profit :P
u/p2 October 16, 2016, 09:20:06 PM
it looks like that, yess, but actually it will result in people being even more involved in the whole advertising stuff. The change from "I hate ads" to "sure I disable adblockers, I want to see the ads to vote for my favoreit one"
It's very well possible it's gonna result in even more members watching the ads which would on the other hand neutralize the negative effect ^^
u/Yuki October 16, 2016, 09:30:13 PM
Yeah, we made a point to let our users the possibility to put their own ads up, otherwise it's no fun and we wouldn't put ads here in the first place.

For the voting thing, I'm not sure how it would work, but I guess you can always vote for the best one in the other thread.
u/p2 October 16, 2016, 09:54:30 PM
yess but that would only be fun if enough members submited ads xD
u/Dream of Omnimaga November 14, 2016, 02:31:42 AM
So I was wondering if we were receiving any outcome, now that we mostly have those online comic ads? I know the highest bid is usually around 0.01-0.02 but I was wondering if the income was basically the second highest bid like on Ebay?
u/Yuki November 14, 2016, 02:36:52 AM
Simple. We get whatever the highest bid is per day minus 15%+GST going to Project Wonderful as a commission, for every region. I think it's precise to 1/100th of a cent, so no problem there.
u/Dream of Omnimaga November 14, 2016, 02:59:04 AM
Ah, I thought we got what the second highest bid was. On Ebay, IIRC, if you bid $30 and the previous person bid $15 then I think you pay $15, right?
u/Yuki November 14, 2016, 03:13:00 AM
I'm not sure it works like this. You bid $30 because you said you'd pay $30 for it if you win, then you pay $30 because you won.
u/kotu November 14, 2016, 03:13:38 AM
I don't think it works exactly like that
u/Dream of Omnimaga November 14, 2016, 05:44:39 AM
Quote from: Juju on November 14, 2016, 03:13:00 AM
I'm not sure it works like this. You bid $30 because you said you'd pay $30 for it if you win, then you pay $30 because you won.
I'm confused then. Many people told me in the past that it was not that way. That crap is complicated as hell it seems.
u/Yuki November 14, 2016, 06:15:24 AM
I never really bought anything on eBay and I don't really know how it works, they probably added their own twist on the process, but, as far as I know, this is pretty much how auctions generally work. Both on eBay and Project Wonderful, there is mechanisms that lets you automatically outbid the current bid until a limit you set, and as far as I know, you pay the price you bid.
u/Dream of Omnimaga November 14, 2016, 06:18:10 AM
YEah, I personally just look at the latest bid and assume that that bid or what I'll bid will be what I'll pay. I usually just bid at the very last minute.

On a side note, if calc.news traffic is significant enough, do you think ads could be added there too or would you need a different Project Wonderful account due to being a different domain name?

Thanks for explaining, by the way
u/Yuki November 14, 2016, 06:32:59 AM
It can go on the same account, yeah. The limit is 5 ad boxes/site.
Website statistics

MyCalcs | Ticalc.org | Cemetech | Omnimaga | TI-Basic Developer | MaxCoderz | TI-Story | Casiocalc.org | Casiopeia | The Museum of HP Calculators | HPCalc.org | CnCalc.org | Music 2000 Community | TI Education | Casio Education | HP Calcs | NumWorks | SwissMicros | Sharp Calculators