You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here. | New CodeWalrus | Old (dark mode) | Old (light) | Discord server

[TI-Nspire] Lua3D Smooth Terrain Demonstration

b/Games Started by Tag365, March 31, 2016, 08:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

u/Dream of Omnimaga April 01, 2016, 04:24:40 PM
Ok cool. I'll try the new version when I am back home. :)
u/Jim Bauwens April 03, 2016, 11:38:45 AM
Quote from: Tag365 on April 01, 2016, 02:39:46 PM
By the way, does moving local variable declarations outside a loop make the script run any faster?

I do not think that you will get a noticeable effect out of that.

Also, there are some nice Lua profiling tools out there, I've been using LuaProfiler to optimize a raytracer engine and the output is very useful. Possible you can use one at PC side.
u/Dream of Omnimaga April 03, 2016, 05:34:44 PM
One thing that helped with 3D in the past on the Nspire was switching to fixed points or integers instead of floating points. This is partly why Crafti runs over 3 times faster than Ncraft despite having not only textures, but also greater rendering distance. But I don't know if those are available in Nspire Lua.
u/aetios April 03, 2016, 07:45:57 PM
Ha, that looks reeeally cool :D Hope you can find a way to speed it up a bit hahaha.
u/Jim Bauwens April 04, 2016, 09:54:05 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 03, 2016, 05:34:44 PM
One thing that helped with 3D in the past on the Nspire was switching to fixed points or integers instead of floating points. This is partly why Crafti runs over 3 times faster than Ncraft despite having not only textures, but also greater rendering distance. But I don't know if those are available in Nspire Lua.

In Lua number type is a compile time option, and most versions are built to use floats/doubles. So sadly there is no way to force pure integer usage (as far as I know).
u/Dream of Omnimaga April 04, 2016, 06:16:49 PM
Ah, too bad. I wish this was possible in Basic and Lua. Maybe the render distance and quality could be reduced to increase the frame rate? But I wonder how much quality reduction would be required in order to reach 3 FPS?
Website statistics

MyCalcs | Ticalc.org | Cemetech | Omnimaga | TI-Basic Developer | MaxCoderz | TI-Story | Casiocalc.org | Casiopeia | The Museum of HP Calculators | HPCalc.org | CnCalc.org | Music 2000 Community | TI Education | Casio Education | HP Calcs | NumWorks | SwissMicros | Sharp Calculators