Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

TI-Nspire OS 4.2 released

Started by Yuki, February 16, 2016, 05:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

That is cool Adriweb. Too bad Jim's tests weren't so positive about the Handheld behavior, though. Hopefully T3 explains more into details what is the use of this new functionality and hopefully it's not too crippled.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

critor

A TI card doesn't work better - same problem as you with a TI-LaunchPad Stellaris LM4F120.

Detected as COM9 on computer with the TI-Nspire 4.2 teacher software : :)

With the same Lua code on a TI-Nspire CX 4.2, not detected at all although powered by the calculator : :'(

Jim Bauwens

My CX CAS is now a thermometer :)

Yesterday Critor was testing multiple boards and noticed that a TI-LaunchPad MSP-EXP432P401R was detected by his device (see https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17981&p=197316#p197316). As the launchpad is just a USB CDC device, I thought that it was a bit odd that my Arduino did not want to work. So I decided to try and copy the VID en PID (device identifiers) of his Launchpad and fake it on my Leonardo. And that worked, the leonardo was recognized by my handheld! Testing showed that communication worked, so with a little bit of work I made this.

Dream of Omnimaga

Hey @Jim Bauwens I don't know how I missed this, but this might have been due to the activity we had at one point last month (lots of topics) and me still being busy. This is an awesome mod you got there. Maybe it should have been in its separate topic since it's quite cool :) (plus maybe show how it was made so that maybe other students would like to build their own TI-Nspire thermometers :) )
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Jim Bauwens

Dream of Omnimaga

Yay! Hopefully people use this :)

semiprocoder

I have an arduino micro and I tried hooking it up. Unfortunately, I do not have a temperature sensor so I just copied over your code, but instead of sending a temperature value, I send over a ping distance. The program works with the computer, and my calculator powers my micro, but I cannot get the calculator to communicate with my micro. I tried changing the vid and pin of my micro to match what you specified, but I am not sure I did it correctly. Do you have any suggestions as for how to connect my arduino?
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

Dream of Omnimaga

Heya semiprocoder, nice to see you again on CW :3=

Hopefully someone who has experience with Nspire+Arduino stuff can help you *pokes Adriweb and the others*

Jim Bauwens

Quote from: semiprocoder on April 02, 2016, 11:33:43 PM
I have an arduino micro and I tried hooking it up. Unfortunately, I do not have a temperature sensor so I just copied over your code, but instead of sending a temperature value, I send over a ping distance. The program works with the computer, and my calculator powers my micro, but I cannot get the calculator to communicate with my micro. I tried changing the vid and pin of my micro to match what you specified, but I am not sure I did it correctly. Do you have any suggestions as for how to connect my arduino?

Could you post the appropriate (micro) section of your boards.txt?

semiprocoder

I tried making pin0 and vid0 the modified values, and then I just tried making everything the modified values(I dont know how this works so I was just guessing at what to do). Heres what it is right now:

micro.name=Arduino/Genuino Micro

micro.vid.0=0x0451
micro.pid.0=0xBEF3
micro.vid.1=0x0451micro.pid.1=0xBEF3
micro.vid.2=0x0451
micro.pid.2=0xBEF3micro.vid.3=0x0451
micro.pid.3=0xBEF3

micro.vid.4=0x0451
micro.pid.4=0xBEF3

# If the board is a 2341:0237 use 2341:8237 for build and set
# other parameters as well
micro.vid.4.build.vid=0x2341
micro.vid.4.build.pid=0x8237
micro.vid.4.build.usb_product="Genuino Micro"
micro.vid.4.bootloader.file=caterina/Caterina-Genuino-Micro.hex

micro.vid.5=0x2341
micro.pid.5=0x8237
# If the board is a 2341:8237 use 2341:8237 for build and set
# other paramters as well
micro.vid.5.build.vid=0x2341
micro.vid.5.build.pid=0x8237
micro.vid.5.build.usb_product="Genuino Micro"
micro.vid.5.bootloader.file=caterina/Caterina-Genuino-Micro.hex

micro.upload.tool=avrdude
micro.upload.protocol=avr109
micro.upload.maximum_size=28672
micro.upload.maximum_data_size=2560
micro.upload.speed=57600
micro.upload.disable_flushing=true
micro.upload.use_1200bps_touch=true
micro.upload.wait_for_upload_port=true

micro.bootloader.tool=avrdude
micro.bootloader.low_fuses=0xff
micro.bootloader.high_fuses=0xd8
micro.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xcb
micro.bootloader.file=caterina/Caterina-Micro.hex
micro.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
micro.bootloader.lock_bits=0x2F

micro.build.mcu=atmega32u4
micro.build.f_cpu=16000000L
micro.build.vid=0x2341
micro.build.pid=0x8037
micro.build.usb_product="Arduino Micro"
micro.build.board=AVR_MICRO
micro.build.core=arduino
micro.build.variant=micro
micro.build.extra_flags={build.usb_flags}
[\code]

Jim Bauwens

You need to update the build params too, for my Leonardo I use:

leonardo.build.vid=0x0451
leonardo.build.pid=0xBEF3

Lionel Debroux

And you can check the USB VID:PID exposed to the host by the device. On Linux, through `lsusb`; on Windows, e.g. through the Devices Manager; etc.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

semiprocoder

Do you know how to do this with a due? Cause someone asked me for my micro, and I gave it to them to use for a while. I didn't see due anywhere in boards.txt.

Jim Bauwens

Quote from: semiprocoder on April 03, 2016, 08:52:19 PM
Do you know how to do this with a due? Cause someone asked me for my micro, and I gave it to them to use for a while. I didn't see due anywhere in boards.txt.

If there is no entry, then the Arduino software normally will not recognize it. Isn't there anything like this: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/arduino/Arduino/ide-1.5.x/hardware/arduino/sam/boards.txt ?

semiprocoder

Sam wasnt available in arduino 1.6.5(the one I used previously). Thus I installed 1.5.6, and it did have the sam folder in arduino. Thus I changed boards.txt to:

arduino_due_x_dbg.name=Arduino Due (Programming Port)
arduino_due_x_dbg.vid.0=0x0451
arduino_due_x_dbg.pid.0=0xBEF3
arduino_due_x_dbg.upload.tool=bossac
arduino_due_x_dbg.upload.protocol=sam-ba
arduino_due_x_dbg.upload.maximum_size=524288
arduino_due_x_dbg.upload.use_1200bps_touch=true
arduino_due_x_dbg.upload.wait_for_upload_port=false
arduino_due_x_dbg.upload.native_usb=false
arduino_due_x_dbg.build.mcu=cortex-m3
arduino_due_x_dbg.build.f_cpu=84000000L
arduino_due_x_dbg.build.usb_product="Arduino Due"
arduino_due_x_dbg.build.board=SAM_DUE
arduino_due_x_dbg.build.core=arduino
arduino_due_x_dbg.build.extra_flags=-D__SAM3X8E__ -mthumb {build.usb_flags}
arduino_due_x_dbg.build.ldscript=linker_scripts/gcc/flash.ld
arduino_due_x_dbg.build.variant=arduino_due_x
arduino_due_x_dbg.build.variant_system_lib=libsam_sam3x8e_gcc_rel.a
arduino_due_x_dbg.build.vid=0x0451
arduino_due_x_dbg.build.pid=0xBEF3

arduino_due_x.name=Arduino Due (Native USB Port)
arduino_due_x.vid.0=0x0451
arduino_due_x.pid.0=0xBEF3
arduino_due_x.upload.tool=bossac
arduino_due_x.upload.protocol=sam-ba
arduino_due_x.upload.maximum_size=524288
arduino_due_x.upload.use_1200bps_touch=true
arduino_due_x.upload.wait_for_upload_port=true
arduino_due_x.upload.native_usb=true
arduino_due_x.build.mcu=cortex-m3
arduino_due_x.build.f_cpu=84000000L
arduino_due_x.build.usb_product="Arduino Due"
arduino_due_x.build.board=SAM_DUE
arduino_due_x.build.core=arduino
arduino_due_x.build.extra_flags=-D__SAM3X8E__ -mthumb {build.usb_flags}
arduino_due_x.build.ldscript=linker_scripts/gcc/flash.ld
arduino_due_x.build.variant=arduino_due_x
arduino_due_x.build.variant_system_lib=libsam_sam3x8e_gcc_rel.a
arduino_due_x.build.vid=0x0451
arduino_due_x.build.pid=0xBEF3

That didn't work. Then I looked into the driver and went to a random folder in system32 containing arduino.inf. I changed the due vid and pin there as well, and it still did not do anything. My due still doesn't have the proper usb settings.[/code]