Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

My Notebook died

Started by DarkestEx, June 24, 2015, 12:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on June 27, 2015, 12:08:37 AM
Lenovo is a good brand. You should link the specs.

Depends. While their stuff is usually good, I heard that in Feb 2015 they tried bundling malware (Superfish) on their laptops and often heard horror stories about their customer service when people bought laptops on their website and people who would never receive the actual item after paying (due to their bad tracking system. But again that's common I think). Make sure that your laptop wasn't manufactured around when Superfish was a thing and preferably buy the computer from a different store.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

I was saying that hardware-wise. Of course you should clean up or even format the system as soon as you open the box, as with any windoge oem pc.

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 27, 2015, 04:45:01 AM
Quote from: Streetwalrus on June 27, 2015, 12:08:37 AM
Lenovo is a good brand. You should link the specs.

Depends. While their stuff is usually good, I heard that in Feb 2015 they tried bundling malware (Superfish) on their laptops and often heard horror stories about their customer service when people bought laptops on their website and people who would never receive the actual item after paying (due to their bad tracking system. But again that's common I think). Make sure that your laptop wasn't manufactured around when Superfish was a thing and preferably buy the computer from a different store.

I would have bought it from Amazon anyways.

This is the link:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B00T819PDU
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

novenary

CPU is a pentium. These are much lower specced than an i3 and also the igp won't be able to handle more than the window manager.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on June 27, 2015, 11:55:43 AM
I was saying that hardware-wise. Of course you should clean up or even format the system as soon as you open the box, as with any windoge oem pc.
What if you want to stick to Windoze? :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

CKH4

You of course have to get the windows key and use your own ISO.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Snektron

"Windows key" yea... Guess what i don't have :3
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

CKH4

Snektron

Neh, i mean i don't have a key... Ie not bought

CKH4

Oh. Well you may have problems getting a key then. Do you own an OEM windows? (iirc you can ask the manufacturer even if you already destroyed all traces of windows from the hdd)

Snektron

Yeah i have an old laptop that came with windows oem. I read somewhere though that you can't use that key to activate windows somewhere else :/
EDIT: i have 2 actually. The one on my old laptop doesn't say OEM, but it also says starer edition. I don't know if that matters?

CKH4

That shouldn't matter. If you wish to reinstall windows on it you should read this: http://lifehacker.com/5958507/uninstall-your-windows-product-key-so-you-can-use-the-license-on-another-pc

People have said that you can just type in the key and it'll automatically unregister the old one but I'd go for safety first. Just extract the product key and reload the ISO but make sure you get the same version of windows. They're hiding around the web and maybe even on your computer if you're lucky. Try digging around in the advanced boot menu and bios of those computers. Also you can use your key on a different computer too.

Edit. Sorry for slight thread hijack.

Snektron

The laptop from which i want to use it has a faulthy HDD so i can't even remove it :P also where do i need to enter the code? smlgr?
Also i seem to not have slmgr.vbs in my system32/SysWOW64... i found a few copies on some other locations though

CKH4

:'( faulty hdd might prevent you from getting the product key without talking to the OEM people. Does it at least get to the OS menu? Also the windows ISO will prompt for a product key.

Edit. If you're talking about to get the ISO its hidden around the interwebs. Pretty easy to find just make sure it hasn't been tampered with.

Snektron

I have windows installed, but i used some tool to acivate it some time ago :/