Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Another shocking government trick to spy on us (Printers involved)

Started by DarkestEx, April 28, 2015, 11:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aetios

They probably can but then they'd have to send almost half the country to jail.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dudeman313

Breaking news guys! Apple REFUSED to help the FBI! That's one tough fruit. :walrii:
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Ivoah

Quote from: Dudeman313 on February 25, 2016, 11:38:47 PM
Breaking news guys! Apple REFUSED to help the FBI! That's one tough fruit. :walrii:

You're a couple days late ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

aetios

That's indeed not very breaking anymore 9_9 Still I agree its a tough move.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dudeman313

They formally refused today. I just watched Tim Cook on BBC.
The answer is "Sure."

DarkestEx

What a PR motivated move. Secretly they are probably going to help anyways.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dudeman313

Maybe. Maybe not. The way Apple's CEO explained it, it sounded as if they were worried about a possible decrease in sales because of the public becoming vulnerable.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Ivoah on February 25, 2016, 11:39:21 PM
Quote from: Dudeman313 on February 25, 2016, 11:38:47 PM

You're a couple days late ;)
Also another thing to note is that "refused" doesn't mean the FBI won't appeal. Plus maybe the FBI or NSA will find ways (such as $$$$$$) to make Apple cave in.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Lionel Debroux

Multiple 0-day vendors have made public statements along the lines of "hey FBI, buy some 0-day exploits from us and you'll have what you want".
The business model of stockpiling on vulnerabilities and reselling to the highest bidder (I'm oversimplifying a bit, but not so much) is despicable and dangerous.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

c4ooo

Dream of Omnimaga

Seems like they didn't even need Apple to unlock the iPhone, after all:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/29/technology/apple-iphone-fbi-justice-department-case.html

But given poor transparency records from companies in the world in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple were bribed to secretely help them...
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 30, 2016, 07:32:34 PM
Seems like they didn't even need Apple to unlock the iPhone, after all:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/29/technology/apple-iphone-fbi-justice-department-case.html
But given poor transparency records from companies in the world in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple were bribed to secretely help them...
I don't think Apple were bribed, the fbi doesn't even need to, as apple isn't doing exactly a great job at protecting users.
(except to prevent jailbreaks, that is)
Farook most likely had a weak password and the FBI probably found a way to brute-force it.

They have yet to reveal what was inside the phone... Farook probably became a terrorist after playing Angry Birds too much :p

If you actually value your privacy, yuo should use a Linux distro or BSDs and encrypt it.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Dudeman313

The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah true. Now that reminds me, could USA have attacked Russia in order to retrieve Snowden when he was there? It would have been a stupid move that could backfire, but I am curious if that could have been considered? And what if a second person pulled a Snowden and hid there?