Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[PC] Wal-Rush! (Scratch/Flash)

Started by JWinslow23, December 14, 2015, 12:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWinslow23

Well, it's only 3 days before the end of the contest, and I decided to clean up my game as it is now.

The new title:
Wal-Rush!

This, barring any unforeseen glitches that will hopefully be patched before the judges start to play them, is what the final product will look like. (highscore loading and saving has been cut down considerably, it's still very slow. like, really.)

Also, due to the way projects are shared on Scratch, I will make this open for anyone to play for a while before the deadline. I cannot make this playable for the judges without making it also playable for anybody else on the internet (that can find it, anyways :P ). So what this means is, for up to a few minutes before the deadline, if you're watchful enough, you can start to play before the deadline actually comes. Think of it as my little obligatory treat to you, the player :D

Keep an eye out on my Scratch profile for the game! ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

Now that is a reason why I will never learn scratch. I want to be able to get full access to games I write and decide where to host them. Scratch is too restrictive on that point, plus what if Scratch website ever shuts down?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JWinslow23

You have access to games you write, but until you press a button labeled "Share", only you can see it. Once you share, though, anyone can play it, and anyone can see the code. They can also modify the code to make a "Remix" on their own account while still giving credit to you, as well.

There are also many workarounds that allow you to turn your Scratch project into a .exe file, or even a Java applet if you so desired. However, those require more effort than I want to put in. Which means, any amount of effort :P

And if the Scratch website shuts down for some odd reason, there's always the offline editor. ;)

JWinslow23

Bump.

I have converted my game to .sf2 (only playable in the Scratch editor online), .sfw (playable in the Flash Player, any SWF player, or your internet browser), and .exe (Windows executable), and have submitted those files as well. They will become available after the deadline, attached to the first post. But who knows, I might just trick you all again with a joke attachment again, so watch out for that ignore that :P

Dream of Omnimaga

That is good to hear.  I also received your entry :)

I'm glad you could make it in time. I'll test the entry later to see if it runs fine.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok so your entry is confirmed to work, and is also fun. :)

My only suggestion would be to maybe make it so you can die if you fly too high outside the screen at the top or make more spikes appear there, because I noticed the game is much easier if I hold space down and stay at the top at any time (I can still get hit but rarely). :P

JWinslow23

I'll see if I can't update the online version, and then the standalone programs, before the deadline is up. I'll just make it so you can't go too far up ;)
EDIT: Updated all versions, and sent the new version.

Dream of Omnimaga

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I was wondering about that lol, but thankfully the PC version was sent in time. :)

Awesome game, by the way. There should be an option to enable colors. My only issue with the PC executable is that PrintScreen and Copy/Paste stops working in Windows 7 as long as the game is running.

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 20, 2016, 09:02:04 PM
Yeah I was wondering about that lol, but thankfully the PC version was sent in time. :)

Awesome game, by the way. There should be an option to enable colors. My only issue with the PC executable is that PrintScreen and Copy/Paste stops working in Windows 7 as long as the game is running.
Well, I have no idea about what that is or how to fix it. I never intended to make that executable :P

Dream of Omnimaga

I guess it's the tool you used to make the exe. It seems to take a bit too much control on the PC so I'm surprised Avast didn't complain. <_<

Dudeman313

I ran it on Windows 10 Pro, and Windows Defender jumped out at me, saying "programs like these could damage your computer" and all that what-not.
I had to check the box that said "I understand the risks" so I could play.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh, that might just be the warning that XP and higher shows when running third-party applications or IE. But it's possible that the tool JWinslow23 might have some crap hidden in it, since we get what we pay for. I guess the best is to use the swf file or Scratch version anyway, and specifically the Scratch version if you want to ensure 100% compatibility.

Dudeman313

Okay. The game was fun, that's all that matters. I'd love to play it on my calc, though. Wonder what it'd look like on an 84+ CE...
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."