Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Clouttery - the smart, cross-platform battery monitor

Started by gbl08ma, February 22, 2016, 07:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unicorn

Quote from: gbl08ma on August 17, 2016, 06:27:35 PM
OK, that's really critical, so what banner are you talking about? One similar to this:

...that appears in the "Pair with an account" window of the Windows client?

If yes, what is the version of Windows in question, and what version of Internet Explorer is installed?

Have you tried again since then?
Sorry I couldn't get back quicker, but I don't think I was ever able to get to the "Pair with an account" window. I'll try to update and take some screenshots so I can give a more detailed report. (I'm using linux right now) :P

Oh yeah, how far away is a linux client?

And one more thing :P
Could you make it possible to link your google account to your dotaccount?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

gbl08ma

If the "Pair with an account" window doesn't appear when Clouttery opens, you can try looking for its icon in the system tray, clicking it (a popup should appear above it) and then pressing the text in the yellow background. A window should appear shortly. If not, please try to record the whole interaction starting when you open Clouttery from the Start menu. If nothing appears at all, try to see with the task manager if there's any Clouttery.exe running.

About the Linux client, it depends... I had other plans for the next week (namely, work on the server side) but as there are multiple people asking about the Linux client, perhaps I'll work on it instead. Hopefully I'll have something to show by the end of the next week.

EDIT: no, linking dotAccounts with other sign in services is not supported at the moment and likely will never be. The dotAccount software has support for signing in with Google (that feature is disabled), but it doesn't support linking email-password accounts to social accounts. Clouttery has support for signing in with services other than dotAccount, but it doesn't have support for linking more than one service with one account. The latter functionality might be added in the future though. But dotAccounts will stay dotAccounts.
  • Calculators owned: Prizm CG-20

Dream of Omnimaga

Hm I see. Hopefully it doesn't become a limitation as web services evolves over the year, though. For example, imagine if Clouttery came out in 2008 and only allowed registering with a Myspace or XFire account. Not saying that Facebook/Google accounts will become less popular in the future, but we didn't know this would happen to Myspace back in 2008 :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gbl08ma

Clouttery now supports sending notifications to your email! Scroll down to the bottom of this settings page to get started: https://clouttery.xyz/manage/settings/notifs

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh nifty. That might be handy. Also maybe it could be a trick for those with very low-battery life (read: anybody who plays Pokémon Go), since they could disable Clouttery app notifications on their phone and have them go through e-mail, so they only need to enable notifications in one single phone app (although they would most likely be delayed)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gbl08ma

Big news! Clouttery for Android is now available on Google Play!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=im.tny.segvault.clouttery

If you had previously installed Clouttery from an APK, please follow this guide before you do anything.

This is version 0.9.0, an update to 0.8.0 (distributed by direct APK download) that brings important performance improvements (background memory usage reduced by up to 50%) and minor bug fixes. It also has some internal parts rewritten which cause incompatibility with the previous version, since most people will want to reinstall from Google Play, I figured it wasn't worth it to write migration code, and that's why you need to follow that special guide.

From on now, further updates will be pushed to Google Play so users don't have to install APKs manually.

~~ musical interlude ~~

About the Linux client, it's coming... slowly. I had to give up on using Mono, because even though I was able to reuse much of the code from the Windows client, I had trouble getting the GTK interface to work on anything other than my development machine (I had to compile my own gtksharp in order to get access to certain GTK widgets, and this made the process of redistributing the Mono version extremely complicated). I also couldn't get a tray icon to work in any Linux desktop environment.
All things taken into account (the fact that Mono needed to be installed, plus a gtksharp version that isn't compatible with the other apps that depend on it, plus the fact that the tray icon outright didn't appear on some platforms due to libappindicator and GtkStatusIcon problems), I decided it was best to give up on using Mono.

So I decided to take the Python base I had started long ago and continued its development, this time using GTK for the UI (I had previously tried tkinter which was clearly not adequate). This time, the tray icon works under MATE and KDE, and Gnome should be no problem either. I could also run it on three different Linux computers with different distros, after installing the necessary dependencies.
Only thing that's left to figure out is how to make the battery history graphs work, and how to distribute this. I tried using PyInstaller to build a stand-alone thing and it failed catastrophically. In the worst case this will be a ZIP file with Python code inside and you'll have to install some Python 3 libraries.

E37

Sounds cool! I hope it is still free... I don't have money.
Does it remain the full mongering and statistics for the device that is offline?
Nice work!  :)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Ti83,Ti84!
I've never finished a project, there is always a way to improve!
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!
Look! A slime!    <(^.^)>

gbl08ma

Yes, Clouttery is still free.

When a device is offline (or on mobile data with the setting for syncing on mobile data disabled), Clouttery clients will keep collecting battery information. This information is then uploaded and processed on the server once the device goes online, updating statistics and issuing notifications.

As of now, it doesn't yet predict stuff about other devices while offline. Depending on how people are using it, in the future this may change, and Clouttery clients, at least certain ones, may get the ability to "guess" the battery levels of other devices based on their past history, eventually showing notifications even while offline.

I hope this answered your questions.

E37

Quote from: gbl08ma on October 05, 2016, 04:27:14 PM

When a device is offline (or on mobile data with the setting for syncing on mobile data disabled), Clouttery clients will keep collecting battery information. This information is then uploaded and processed on the server once the device goes online, updating statistics and issuing notifications.

As of now, it doesn't yet predict stuff about other devices while offline. Depending on how people are using it, in the future this may change, and Clouttery clients, at least certain ones, may get the ability to "guess" the battery levels of other devices based on their past history, eventually showing notifications even while offline.

Epic!
I was wondering about predicting the life of the current device offline. (ignoring any others) I guess you answered that question too.  ;D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Ti83,Ti84!
I've never finished a project, there is always a way to improve!
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!
Look! A slime!    <(^.^)>

gbl08ma

Both the Windows and Android clients can predict the battery life of the device where they are installed while offline. This prediction is (for now) independent from the online part. If you go to the Play store page you'll see one of the tablet screenshots has an estimate showing below the big percentage, that's what I'm talking about. (The estimate is hidden when there is not enough data to produce a good estimate).

While charging, the time until charging is complete is also estimated.

The Windows client can even do battery life prediction on computers where Windows for some reason doesn't, with very satisfying results. The Android one can be slightly more inaccurate at times, but the only way to make this better is by getting more people to use it and give feedback - which has been a hard task so far.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: gbl08ma on October 05, 2016, 04:27:14 PM

I like that guessing idea. That might be handy for dumb devices.

gbl08ma

Time for a quick update.

The server, and the Web Console, have been updated. The main change is that the new billing system has gone live, as you can see by going into Settings -> Billing in the Web Console ( https://clouttery.xyz/manage/settings/billing ). In order to help beta-test this system, some changes were made to the accounts of the existing users.

1. Everyone was moved into the new "Unlimited" plan, which is just like the old "Segvault Insider" plan, except it costs $5 per month.
2. Before you panic, a 100% off coupon was issued to everyone. ;D

In practice, what this means is that beta-testers will still get Clouttery for free, for life, but they will be "billed" on a monthly basis. Every month, an invoice for $5 will be generated... and immediately paid by the 100% discount coupon. Or at least, this is what is supposed to happen. Everything was very well tested before pushing to production, but there's nothing like testing on a live system.

This also allows beta-testers to test a bit of the billing interface, including the invoice viewing page. You can also add a credit or debit card to your account, but since we're still testing Stripe, it is still in test mode. So you can only use the fake card numbers listed at https://stripe.com/docs/testing. If you're really in the mood for helping us, you can try to trick the system into accepting an invalid fake card, like 4000000000000069. Or you could add many, many different payment methods and make the system unbearably slow, or break it.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: gbl08ma on October 27, 2016, 09:40:36 PM
Time for a quick update.

The server, and the Web Console, have been updated. The main change is that the new billing system has gone live, as you can see by going into Settings -> Billing in the Web Console ( https://clouttery.xyz/manage/settings/billing ). In order to help beta-test this system, some changes were made to the accounts of the existing users.

1. Everyone was moved into the new "Unlimited" plan, which is just like the old "Segvault Insider" plan, except it costs $5 per month.

In practice, what this means is that beta-testers will still get Clouttery for free, for life, but they will be "billed" on a monthly basis. Every month, an invoice for $5 will be generated... and immediately paid by the 100% discount coupon. Or at least, this is what is supposed to happen. Everything was very well tested before pushing to production, but there's nothing like testing on a live system.

This also allows beta-testers to test a bit of the billing interface, including the invoice viewing page. You can also add a credit or debit card to your account, but since we're still testing Stripe, it is still in test mode. So you can only use the fake card numbers listed at https://stripe.com/docs/testing. If you're really in the mood for helping us, you can try to trick the system into accepting an invalid fake card, like 4000000000000069. Or you could add many, many different payment methods and make the system unbearably slow, or break it.
as long as free users are not forced to have a credit card or Paypal like on iTunes then I'm good. :P

DarkestEx

Quote from: gbl08ma on October 27, 2016, 09:40:36 PM
Time for a quick update.

I really like the plans. It's similar to what we discussed a while ago and I think they are reasonable. Good job  :thumbsup:
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

gbl08ma

There's a minor Clouttery Android app update, that pretty much doesn't affect existing users: one can now sign in with one of the Google accounts configured on the device, without having to type usernames or passwords.

Should get approved by Google in a few hours. The update was approved by Google right as I was writing this post :thumbsup:

I have noticed that of the 18 app installs, there were 5 uninstalls... I wonder what can be done to make the app/service correspond better to the expectations of new users.