Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Clouttery - the smart, cross-platform battery monitor

Started by gbl08ma, February 22, 2016, 07:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Hm, I need to try to get used to Chrome more in the future. I currently use Opera, which is now based on Chromium, so maybe I wouldn't have as much of an hard time switching.

Glad you released a Chrome version, though :). On a side note, is the $25 fee for Google Play a one time fee for every app or do you have to pay $25 per app? I thought it was the former...
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gbl08ma

It's a one time fee.

I just tested to see if Firefox 47 could load my extension, and it silently fails (Firefox now has partial support for what Mozilla calls WebExtensions, which is basically Chrome/Chromium extensions).

I'm now going to test whether the Chrome extension works in Opera. I expect to have better luck.

EDIT: I just tested the extension in the latest Opera. It works perfectly :)
I'm just going to rename it so that it becomes "Clouttery for Opera".
  • Calculators owned: Prizm CG-20

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok, it doesn't seem too bad to me then, but again it depends of your finances. I know that sometimes for me, $25 can be pretty hard to come by (I mean, I could spend such money tomorrow if I wanted to, but I don't want to take the risk and prefer saving a bit first)

Also I didn't know that Chrome extensions worked in Opera, since OmnomIRC post notification feature for Chrome on Omnimaga warned me that it was not compatible with my browser.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gbl08ma

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 05, 2016, 10:44:51 PM(I mean, I could spend such money tomorrow if I wanted to, but I don't want to take the risk and prefer saving a bit first)

Yes, this is exactly the situation. I wouldn't mind spending it on something more tangible. But a fee for accessing a software distribution platform so I can publish my software, for which I'm charging nothing and I'm not even sure I'm going to get any revenue from, doesn't leave me very excited about spending $25. Especially when I know costumer support, for example, will continue to have the low quality Google has accustomed us to.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 05, 2016, 10:44:51 PM
Also I didn't know that Chrome extensions worked in Opera, since OmnomIRC post notification feature for Chrome on Omnimaga warned me that it was not compatible with my browser.

Right now, Opera is basically Chromium with a different UI. With Firefox, on the other hand, it will be much harder to get the extension going, as right now I can't even figure out why it won't load. Probably I'll need to wait for WebExtension support to mature in FF.

Dream of Omnimaga

It probably also depends if you plan to release many Chrome extensions too, as I mentioned earlier. If for example you plan to release 10 other extensions unrelated to Clouttery in the future, then the $25 could be a nice investment, since that would be $2.50 per app.

I see. I guess it might be just that Omnimaga's notification thing in OmnomIRC (which CW also used for a while) was a different type of Chrome feature or Omnom author did some mishap about browser/user agent detection. Good luck on the Firefox port.

gbl08ma

It's Clouttery news time ;D

Recently, important changes in the server side have been pushed to production:

Advanced notifications! Clouttery will periodically do an automated analysis of the battery history for your devices and warn you about possible problems. Right now, three types of warnings are supported: battery left empty for too long, left with the charger connected for too long, and battery fully discharged too often. These are mostly applicable to Li-Ion batteries, which is not much of an issue since it's what basically every laptop and Android device uses nowadays, and that's what Clouttery supports for now. In the future, this kind of analysis will only be available for paid accounts, but those who sign up while in Beta get on a special "Segvault Insider" plan which has all these features and is free for life. As a quick reminder: "signing up" simply means signing in to Clouttery for the first time. You can do so with a dotAccount ( https://dotaccount.tny.im ) or with a Twitter account. So if you want to get one of those free unlimited accounts, all you literally need to do is sign in. And for those who only have one Clouttery-supported device: this feature is the reason why Clouttery is useful even with just one device.

- Finer notification settings: you can now disable only some types of notifications for each device (including the new advanced notifications). This is useful e.g. if you want to be notified about a low battery but don't want to see notifications when the device finishes charging, or vice-versa.

- New device list on web console: when you have more than one device in your account, you'll see a new device list page on https://clouttery.xyz/manage/devices . Each device gets its own small card which includes the battery percentage and a small, non-interactive graph with the percentage history for the past 12 hours. In addition, Clouttery is now friendlier for users with many devices: if you have more than five devices in your account, the new device list will show a filtering field, which you can use to quickly find your devices by name.

- Other web console changes: There are other small changes on the web console, namely on the notification settings page and on the pairing settings page. On the latter one, it's now easier to distinguish different pairings, as the most recent activity information is shown for each one.

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks for the update. This will be very handy when I set up Clouttery. :)

gbl08ma

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 16, 2016, 04:38:10 PM
when I set up Clouttery

I have the feeling you'll let the beta period end, and then I'll need to open an exception for you to get the full thing for free - let's hope nobody notices it by then :)

Dream of Omnimaga

I signed up a few weeks ago but I just haven't set it up yet. :P

gbl08ma

This is kind of important to make the service more user-friendly and to understand what the users need, so I must ask...
For those of you who have signed up but are yet to set up Clouttery on any of your devices, what's holding you back? The lack of clients for the platforms you use/want to monitor? Is it still unattractive in terms of features? Is it because it seems too hard/take too long to set up? Security concerns? Or is it something else entirely?

On the other hand, if you set it up but then stopped using it, what made you stop?

If I could get this sorted out it would help immensely in figuring out where to go next. I have my own development schedule, but if these plans are too far off from the needs of the people I can start by doing something else entirely.

Unicorn

So I installed it on my windows PC, but I couldn't sign in, for some reason. When I clicked on the banner that said "sign in" nothing would ever happen. Not sure what that is about, and I have yet to install it on my Linux PC.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

gbl08ma

OK, that's really critical, so what banner are you talking about? One similar to this:

...that appears in the "Pair with an account" window of the Windows client?

If yes, what is the version of Windows in question, and what version of Internet Explorer is installed?

Have you tried again since then?

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: gbl08ma on August 17, 2016, 10:00:42 AM
This is kind of important to make the service more user-friendly and to understand what the users need, so I must ask...
For those of you who have signed up but are yet to set up Clouttery on any of your devices, what's holding you back?
Mostly lack of time. I am not that busy this Summet but I have so much stuff and hobbies to do that everything moves on a lot slower.

gbl08ma

Clouttery now lets you sign in using a Google account.

EDIT: and woohoo, it has just been featured in the homepage of Cemetech. I wasn't expecting this. Let's see if it lives up to the expectations.

Dream of Omnimaga

Congratulations on the Cemetech front page feature. It was very deserved, IMHO, and also counters the negative remarks someone posted in the other topic (as well as many other projects) recently.

Also I'm glad it now supports Google sign up, since most people have a Google account but not necessarily a Twitter one (a lot of CodeWalrians absolutely despise social networks or want to use them exclusively for real life activities). I'm gonna see if I can spend some time setting up my Clouttery account to add all my devices Sunday or so. But I also need to check if all my devices are still in working order before adding them.